Windows 10 Dual boot question

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
I've been trying to set up a virtual machine on both of my PC's to no avail since they don't have sufficient RAM (only 6 GB). I'm thinking my other recourse is to set up a dual boot system. I've never done that before. Are there any caveats to be aware of? I don't want to mess up the current W10 OS. Thanks...Ed

My laptop only has 4GB RAM and I have installed and learned Windows server 2016 in VirtualBox. 2GB for the host OS and 2GB for Windows Server 2016. So, 6GB RAM on a PC could be enough depending on what you want to do.

Does each of the PCs have 6GB?

If you're going with a Linux distribution then no not really all you need to do is shrink the Windows partition so you have space to install Linux.

Does shrinking the Windows partition have any negative effect on the OS? If there is, I won't mess with dual boot. Thanks.

No it won't affect it at all. I would advise to keep the Linux partition small 20GB unless you have a lot of space. Linux can read Windows partitions so you can still work on those files from Linux but not the other way around.

Back