Windows 7 Duplicate Disk Signature Question

dmcmillen

Extraordinary Member
64-bit Win 7, Home Premium, SP1.

I recently recovered my C: drive to a new drive (via Symantec SSR Anyware to a new computer) and kept the same disk id on the new drive. Now I want to use the old C: drive on my new system (as an additional data disk) but of course windows won't mount it because of the duplicate id. I plan on reformatting and using as a data disk, but 1st I need to mount and search for some info on the disk.

I understand that I can change the id via:
(1) "diskpart>uniqueid disk id=[new signature]" command (make sure select the correct disk) or
(2) put online with disk mgt and let windows create the new id

I'm probably being overly cautious. I want to make absolutely sure that Windows changes ONLY the id on the old disk and does NOT mess with the new system drive. I don't want windows changing the mbr on my system disk. I've heard some horror stories about changing disk signatures.

Thanks - David

All I can say right now is, duplicating Windows or changing IDs is illegal. It counterfeits copyright. Thus, in my opinion, you practice what is called to hacker. Although it doesn't seem that severe, I feel I cannot help you. In normal use, Windows comes with a single license, it can't be multiplied, unless paid for.

If I misread or misunderstood You, I apologize. No hard feelings.

Hi Pauli. I'm a bit surprised by your response. You are correct that violating Windows licensing rules is a copyright violation. However, there is not enough information in my post for you to tell whether I violated MS licensing rules or not. Also, changing disk id's is not illegal.

In my case, I had a failing computer (it is no longer in use) that I used Symantec's SSR Recover Anyware feature to recover to a new machine with different hardware than my original machine. Other companies like Acronis have the same feature that allows you to recover to disparate hardware. They are very upfront that recovery to disparate hardware does not circumvent Windows licensing. My reason for doing the Recovery Anyware is simple: I didn't want to have to do a fresh install of Windows and then reinstall all the software on my new machine. I had literally hundreds of programs installed, all of which had configuration information, etc. etc. I have had to do this in the past and that is no fun.

In fact I was fully prepared to purchase another Windows license, so I was surprised when the machine booted up with no licensing issues after the recovery. I had actually done a bit of work with MS to determine the best way to handle the new license. I don't remember an option during the recovery asking me to keep the same disk signature but it may have been worded differently. This is the 1st recovery I've ever done to disparate hardware. In any case, if I had it to do over again, I would want a different disk signature so as not to deal with the problem in this post. Not sure if a different disk signature would have required a new license or reactivation. Don't know all the MS licensing rules for activation. I did not have to reactivate after the recovery. Just booted up and ran. Hell, I've had to reactivate Windows in the past for minor hw changes on the same machine.

And the other machine is retired, used for parts, one of which is the old system disk that I'm trying to use on this machine as a data disk. So I'm only still only using one copy of windows. And I could have done the recovery using the old system disk; just chose not to.

David

Last edited:
I may have been untactful. Do accept my apology, as well as my all too late response. There's so much going on, as You probably know. It happens, one shouts when really not knowing what to shout, or whereupon whom.

I hope we have a trust. Yours truly.

Back
Top Bottom