Windows 7 dvd/cd-rom not working, please help

dadognt0wn

Hello, i have a HP Pavilion dv5-1138nr and since i installed Windows 7 beta the dvd/cd-rom has not worked.
The device is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N. The device status is= "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)".
I appreciate any help and sorry if my question is on the ignorant end.

I have the same drive as you and Windows 7 64 bit found the drivers automatically when i first did a fresh install. I am having lock up and transferring problems, so i might be in the same boat as you

i'm checking out sisyphus idea now.

Driver Bug

I get different results depending on Clean Inatall or Upgrade. My last install was clean, and the drive worked fine 'till I re-installed "7" hoping to fix some bad behavior. That did fix my problems with Outlook launching very slowly, but it also made the DVD drive go bad again. Go figure!
At any rate ReadyDriverPlus is a useful "Band-Aid" until Microsoft fixes the bug.

Good luck!:)

I am going to take a guess from the information i have been provided and say that it is not a microsoft issue but rather a driver incompatibility issue. I am positive the problem does not lye with microsoft I would recommend going to the DVD/CDRom drive manufacturer website and checking to see if they have an updated driver and installing it and see if that fixes the problem.

My drive is "Plug and Play" no driver is available. And my drive has been fine with Vista Ultimate 64bit, so it should also work with "7", and indeed it does (under certain OS install conditions ie. Clean). But not as an upgrade or repair.

Here is the info from Device Manager,
Driver File Details,
Sony DVD RW DRU-840A ATA Device
Driver Files: C:\Windows\system 32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

Provider: Microsoft Corporation
File version: 6.1.7000.0 (winmain_win7beta.081212-1400)
Copyright: Microsoft.....
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Shouldent this work?

Last edited:
Go here: [FONT=&quot]Citadel Industries - ReadyDriver Plus[/FONT]

It worked for me.

Hey sisyphus i downloaded ReadyDriver Plus installed it and rebooted....computer did couple funky things while starting up.
Anyway now the loptop recognizes the dvd-rom and status is= working properly but when i popped cds or dvds it says "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file.You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" any clues>?

Sorry, it just worked right away when I re-booted after install. It does slow the boot a little as it runs through steps that would be done manually without the program.

Hi,

I saw your post -above- that you got my suggestion to work.
But, as you notice, it slows down the boot process.

I tried these commands, one at a time:

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions disable_integrity_checks
bcdedit.exe -set testsigning_on
Restart the computer to take effect.

The first one did nothing, but after I executed the second command: EUREKA! It works just like I wanted, and without the delay.

And don't forget to uninstall the other program in CONTROL PANEL / PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.

Last edited:
CD-Rom not working

I have a samsung s223l on windows 7. The driver shows up and all indications are that the computer recognizes the driver, but the os does not recognize a disc has been insterted. No matter what type of disc i put in, the E: Drive just stays on "DVD-RW". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
p.s. I've already tried deleting the upper and lower filters.

bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions disable_integrity_checks
bcdedit.exe -set testsigning_on
Restart the computer to take effect.

I've had some limited success with this one, although not A1. Gawd knows what it means and what I've done to my PC though lol.

I've had some limited success with this one, although not A1. Gawd knows what it means and what I've done to my PC though lol.

Got an error when I tried the second command....

C:\Users\xxx>bcdedit.exe -set testsigning_on
The element data type specified is not recognized, or does not apply to the
specified entry.

I've tried all the tips but I still cannot get my drives to read DVD/Blu-ray discs!!!! Anything else?

Cheers

Kol
'''

Back