Windows 7 DVD Drive doesn't recognize DVDs

BrollyH24

Hey guys,

I have a Acer Aspire X1700 that came with Windows Vista installed. I upgraded to Windows 7 and now my dvd drive doesn't recognize dvds (ie movies, dvd games 'Starcraft 2'). I can play CD just fine. My desktop came with Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S SCSI. I've tried uninstalling the device from the device manager and rebooting, but the issue remains. I've also read though other threads and have tried their suggestions, but nothing works so far (removing the UpperFilter and LowerFilter from the registry was one that I've tried). This issue didn't instantly occur after the upgrade. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.

Follow this and it should be well:

"

1. Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image
    VistaStartButton.jpg

, and then click All Programs.
  2. Click Accessories, and then click Run.
  3. Type regedit, and then click OK. Collapse this imageExpand this image
    SecurityShield.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  4. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  5. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
  6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  7. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  8. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
  9. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
  10. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
  11. Exit Registry Editor.
  12. Restart the computer."

If the drive will read CDs but not any type of DVD, I first think of possibly the drive needing to be cleaned or one of the lasers has gone out.

You seem to imply that all DVDs and not just some you burned cannot be read? Can you burn a DVD and then read it?

ehhh about the issue (MS?), but fwiw, this commonly happens after upgrades. Usually I would say to clean the lens, but I don't think that's the issue since the upgrade from Vista was performed.

EDIT - Wow, I didn't read so well it seems. Saltgrass is probably on to the solution for you then. Clean the lens with a q-tip and alcohol after opening the unit. Dry it with q-tip. Re-install and hope it's fixed.

Last edited:
That did occur to me that maybe the laser on the drive is dirty, so I purchased a dvd lens cleanser. This did not solve the issue. I can read burned dvds that I made prior to the issue coming up, so I don't think that the laser is out/broken.

If it will only read DVDs you have burned, there is a chance the lens is out of alignment. But you really should have noticed that prior to Win 7.

If this is a SCSI DVD, how old is it? Is the SCSI controller on the Motherboard or an add in card? Did Win 7 have any problem finding a driver for the controller?

Have you tried updating the firmware on the DVD drive?

The computer is less than 2 yrs old and the SCSI controller is part of the motherboard. I can't really say if Windows 7 had any problems locating the driver for the controller. I have looked into updating the firmware for the dvd driver, but the manufacture's website states that their firmware updates are not compatible with those provided by OEM vendors. Mine is. Should I do it anyway?

If you're brave enough, open the drive and clean the lens as I said. Those cleaners won't do 1/10 the job you can do by hand. Not very long ago, someone with a very similar issue followed the advice and was successful.

If the cleaning doesn't help, then you might check to see if you are using the latest chipset or SCSI drivers from your manufacturer. Microsoft Win 7 drivers may not be specific enough to control your drive correctly.

I'm somewhat hesitant to open up the computer (there is a thin piece of tape that if torn will void the warranty). How do I determine what the chipset and SCSI I have from the device manager?

I'm somewhat hesitant to open up the computer (there is a thin piece of tape that if torn will void the warranty). How do I determine what the chipset and SCSI I have from the device manager?

Ah, so it's still under warranty? In that case, contact the company and see what they'll do for you. Tell them you already deleted upper and lower filters, which did not help. They'll have no choice but to honor the warranty.

Post #2 did it for me!!!!
Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!!!!

I've been looking all over the internet for that fix. So far today, the problem of what seemed like a DEAD CD/DVD drive has cost me about 100 miles and way too much time.

Again, Thank You!

Old Timer :)

Back