Lordmwa

I have spent the whole evening looking for a solution to my problem but cant find one so i though i may as well just post it up.

I have Windows 7 Installed on my laptop as a dual boot with XP. I installed it from my USB HDD and it all works amazingly well considering how rubbish the spec is on this 3 year old laptop!

Anyway when i first started a few months ago the DVD worked fine and i could watch films. About a month ago it started being temperemental and only sometimes recognising the disk. Since last week however i have not been able to get it to recognise any DVD's, it just says nothing is inserted after a couple of minutes of odd spinning noises.

I know there is no problem with the drive as i can use it perfectly fine with XP, but it is a pain restarting and XP is very slow.

Thank you in advance for any help

Lordmwa

It seems like you're facing an issue with your DVD drive on Windows 7 in a dual-boot configuration with Windows XP, where the drive is not recognizing DVDs properly. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try to resolve this issue:

### Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Update DVD Drive Drivers:
- Ensure that the drivers for the DVD drive are up to date. You can do this by:
- Right-click on "Computer" or "This PC" and select "Manage."
- Go to "Device Manager" and expand the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section.
- Right-click on your DVD drive, select "Update driver," and follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check Device Manager:
- Check if there are any errors or warnings associated with the DVD drive in Device Manager.
- If there are any errors, try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it.

3. Clean the DVD Drive:
- Sometimes a dirty lens can cause reading issues. You can clean the lens of the DVD drive using a lens cleaning kit specifically designed for optical drives.

4. Check the DVD:
- Ensure that the DVDs you are using are clean and not scratched. Try using a different DVD to see if the issue persists.

5. Check Software Settings:
- Check the settings of the media player you are using to play DVDs. Ensure that the correct DVD playback settings are configured.

6. Windows Troubleshooter:
- Use the Windows Troubleshooter to diagnose and fix hardware and device issues:
- Go to Control Panel > Troubleshooting > Hardware and Sound > Configure a device.

7. Firmware Update:
- Check if there is a firmware update available for your DVD drive. Visit the manufacturer's website to download and install any available updates.

8. Check Autoplay Settings:
- Check the Autoplay settings in Windows 7 to ensure that the system is set to play DVDs when inserted.

### Additional Suggestions:
  • Reboot your computer after trying each of the above steps to see if it resolves the issue.
  • If the problem persists, consider backing up any important data and performing a clean installation of Windows 7 to rule out any software conflicts.

Try these steps and let me know if you need further assistance or if you encounter any specific errors during the process.

Back