Windows 7 DVD RW drive not working

ShaggyK

hoping i can get some help for this problem here

i just got this laptop 3 days ago, a Samsung Q430 running Windows 7 Home Premium, and after i installed the newest version of iTunes my DVD RW drive has completely stopped working, it is still visible in the disk manager and is assigned a letter, but it will not play or upload to itunes music cds, or play dvds, when i insert a disc into the drive i can hear it start to spin and attempt to read it but after about a minute it just stops and nothing happens. if i go into the "computer" screen from the start menu and click on the drive while a disc is inserted it says "please insert a disc into drive E:" then ejects the tray.

i have done the deleting of upper and lower filters in the registry and also tried uninstalling the drive and letting windows re-find it but nothing will work, i am pretty knowledgeable about computers and would have thought i could figure this out, but i am unfamiliar with this machine and windows 7 still.

im desperate to get this fixed and completely out of ideas/motivation to go further as its just endless frustration for me. if anyone has any idea of what to try or how to fix this i would be very grateful. i just want to be able to fill the iTunes library so that i can continue to use it with my iPod, and i have over 200 cd's to import and this drive being broken is a huge inconvenience for me.

sorry for the long winded post but im just trying to provide as much information as possible to help get this resolved.

Test to see if iTunes is causing the problem.
Remove iTunes, Bonjour, and related applications through Control Panel -> Programs (You can always reintroduce your library later when you re-install)
Go to Start -> Search -> System Restore and restore back to before you installed iTunes.

If the problem still exists, consider it a bad DVDRW. You have a lot of options since the laptop is new that many people won't have. If the drive is dead, you can still 100% return it for a replacement. There is a good chance you'll never have the problem again if this is the case. Anything that spins on your system, whether its a desktop or laptop, has a higher chance of failure. This includes the DVDRW, which uses a highly calibrated optical lens and laser. It is very easy for it to break. The same can go for hard drives and fans. There is a really good chance it is just broken.

Removed. You've tried the regedit way!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom