Windows 7 DVD Spazem on waking from sleep!

VsUK

Ok, now my monitor is working great & i can now use Sleep option on my win7 64bit, ive discovered something very annoying. When i put my system to sleep for the night to save all my open windows & so forth so i know exactly where i was at when i went to sleep, when i woke up the system 1 of my dvdwriters went into a high continuous spin & it didn't even show up in my computer. Only way to stop it was removing my sata power lead & re connecting it.

Any idea's?

Hey.

You can try updating the chipset/storage drivers for the motherboard and the firmware for the DVD drive.

oooo firmware, dont think ive done that yet for the drive.. ill give that a shot & get back to you :D

I assume there is no disk in there, right? One thing that may be causing this is if Windows Explorer was left with that DVD drive selected. Then when Windows wakes up, it frantically is trying to find the disk and folder last seen. Try making sure Windows Explorer is looking at a fixed (hard) disk before exiting Windows Explorer and putting it to sleep.

Ive updated firmware n most likely be leaving it on sleep overnight as im doing some coding again so ill report in if its updated. As for the disk in drives, i never leave disks in my drives unless im using & never turn off with one in as when you first power on your system sometimes your dvd/cd drives get a small surge & it spins for a second without it correctly gripping your disk & can cause damage.

anyways ill fill you guys in in the morning :D

i... ...never turn off with one in as when you first power on your system sometimes your dvd/cd drives get a small surge & it spins for a second without it correctly gripping your disk & can cause damage.
Ummm, no that would not happen unless the drive was moved about during the night and the disk fell out of the tray's cradle. If the disk is in the tray properly, something else is wrong if it does not get a grip. But even then, since the read head never physically touches the disk, no damage will occur.

Being in the habit of never leaving a disk in there, however, is good. But there's still the issue of Windows Explorer expecting to find a disk when none is present - but with the new firmware installed, it may be a moot point now. Hopefully, your problem is resolved.

Well, ive had a few disks i used to leave in over the yrs where they suddenly gained scratches & one more or less exploded inside the drive when i booted it up so its something i thought was possible & never leave them in anyways. But ye ill fill u in when i wake from sleep in morning.

I know is seems to have it's place in the larger scheme of things, but Sleep and Hibernate cause more computer problems than any virus ever thought of. Those things are the first things I disable when setting up a new install of Windows.....any Windows.
Don't flame me....I'm already apologizing! I know some people just have to have their SLEEP. But after years of experience fixing peoples 'puter problems, I just know that the safest thing to do with your computer when you are done with it is "Turn It Off"! All sorts of weird things can happen to your PC when you're not in attendance. Like, FIRE!

Be Happy!

Old Timer

Fixed it, Firmware update really sorted it out so yet again guys THANKS!

OldTimer, however i agree with some parts however the risk of Fire within a pc system is slim. In the past ive had GPU's, the CPU socket & more strangely the area where you connect the PSU leads to the motherboard have all melted & crisped up for me but on all ocations it fused my PSU & all power was cut & all that was remaining is smoke which took a few minutes to escape & that was that. The Case does a good job at containing any flames if any should start & there isnt much to burn or easy to burn.

However I need to put my system to sleep when i dont finish my web coding that day so i leave everything open so i know exactly what stage i was at without having to drag open all the files n folders so i remember, but most cases i do turn off & i dont really see sleep as a problem as your system only provides a little power to your memory like a cache i think so it stores everything as from you left it. However i found out if you take out some DDR2 whilst its in sleep mode & replace it, 1 u can screw up your memory & 2 it wont wake from sleep :p

anyways thanks again guys for the amazing support :D

@VsUK - I am glad that fixed it. Thanks for the follow up.

@OldTimer - I agree completely that in years past, these features seemed to cause more pain than pleasure for a lot of people - though I don't agree it was more so than malware when looking at the big picture. For users who were disciplined at keeping their computers updated, patched, scanned and blocked and who avoided risky practices (namely illegal filesharing) they generally don't have malware problems, so for them or rather some of them, issues with these sleep and hibernation features could have been a big concern.

It is important to remember that notebooks have, for years, gone into "sleep" mode whenever the lid is closed and clearly this works and has worked the vast majority of the time.

And today, Microsoft and hardware makers seem to have it figured out with Windows 7 and current hardware designed to support Windows 7. I converted all my systems over to Win 7 (with new hardware - an important fact for Win 7 compatibility) last October and November and since doing so, for all the PCs and for my laptop, I have had zero problem waking up out of Windows 7's Hybrid Sleep mode. Not one! Yes, some folks have reported problems, but they are the exceptions, not the norm.

But I totally disagree with your fire comments. It is important to note that since 1995 when the ATX Form Factor Standard became the industry wide standard for today's PCs, ALL ATX power supplies have been required to supply +5Vsb standby voltage across several points on the motherboard whenever the computer is turned off. And it does this to provide power to the RAM for sleep mode, as well as to support such features as Wake on LAN, Wake on Mouse, Wake on Keyboard, and even to provide power to the front panel power switch. My point is, circuits are live whether in sleep/hibernate mode, or turned off!

I grant you that while in sleep mode (as opposed to hibernate) your computer can wake up and download updates, run a anti-malware scan, or even perform a system backup. If on a corporate network, the admin can have other tasks scheduled. But I personally think that capability is a good thing. Backups and malware scans can take hours, and sadly, many (most?) people don't and won't do them if it disrupts their computing use. If done in the middle of the night, it does not interfere with their normal computing activities.

With well over 1 Billion Windows computers in the world today, if fires were a problem, it would be well published. The Microsoft/Windows/Bill Gates bashers would be all over it.

The ONLY way to remove the risk of fire completely is to unplug the computer from the wall when not in use. I note this is the same for your TV, DVR, or any appliance that has a clock in it. And in actuality, that applies to anything that plugs into the wall. Even battery powered devices pose risks of fires, unless the batteries are removed.

So while I agree with your statement that "all sorts of weird things can happen to your PC when you're not in attendance", I think it is a "false alarm" to call "fire" one of them. Unplugging from the wall it the only way to prevent that.

Note that some PSUs have a master power switch on back. This is not an ATX requirement so many PSUs don't have such a switch. If there is no switch, the +5Vsb is present whenever the PSU is plugged in. If there is a master power switch, setting it to Off removes the +5Vsb voltage, but does NOT completely remove the risk of fire because there is still house/mains voltages present in the PSU, and sadly, many PSUs are very cheaply made using very cheap components (including cheap master power switches).

Back
Top Bottom