Windows 7 DWM / Aero problem

DJakub

I have been using W7 with aero for months... till now. I tried to use Remote control from my PPC and I dont know why, but Aero is now disabled. I tried to enable it by Troubleshooting, but I got "Desktop window manager is disabled" message and it cant be fixed. DWM service and process is running. I dont know what to do... (maybe problem with Live Mesh?)

Your remote control from your PPC, what exactly is that? If it's for Media Center or a TV card., it may have changed your resolution to windows basic for compatibility. So Aero probably wouldn't work.

have you looked in task manager to see if dwm is running?

I'm not absolutely certain about this, but when I've used 3rd party remote control apps, it lowers the resolution on the target machine.

It gives you the Windows basic theme and therefore you get no Aero effects.

Try this first:
To enable Aero
Click on the Start Button and in the Search box type Aero. Now click on Find and Fix problems with transparency and other visual effects.. Immediately an Aero box will pop up. Click the Advanced link and place a check in the box to automatically fix errors.
No click the Next button and you'll get a progress bar detecting problems. If the results all are checked with none of them failed, then your computer can support Aero. The Aero feature will work immediately, so just choose Close the Troubleshooter.

==========================================
This works on the 32-bit version. make sure to create a Restore Point just in case.

Enable Aero in Windows 7 with Registry Hack

1. Click on Start and type regedit at run

2. Now Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

3. In the right details pane, create following Three DWORD (32-bit value) entry
UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.
Blur, and set its value to 0.
Animations, and set its value to 0.

4. Close Regedit

5. Click on Start and type CMD with administrative Priviliges

6. Now type following command
Net Stop uxsms
Net Start uxsms
Above command will stop and start Desktop Window Manager Session Manager.

7. Now Attempt to Enable Aero by right clicking on desktop-> Personalize ->Windows Colors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 32-bit version but it doesnt work! Always same problem. DWM is running but Im getting same error...

Desktop Window Manager (DWM, previously Desktop Compositing Engine or DCE) is a compositing window manager, introduced with Windows Vista, that enables the Windows Aero graphical user interface and visual theme. The Desktop Window Manager requires video cards supporting DirectX 9.0 and Shader Model 2.0. DWM is not included with Windows Vista Starter edition. It is included with Windows Vista Home Basic edition, but with some aspects of the Windows Aero interface (such as transparent Glass and Flip 3D) disabled. It is also included with Windows Server 2008, but requires the "Desktop Experience" feature and compatible graphics drivers to be installed

I had a similar problem after connecting to a projector. My computer was more than capable of running Aero and dwm.exe was running, but Aero would not run. Eventually I did an "upgrade" install and it is now fixed.

aero cannot be enabled

I am also having this issue. Now on my 4th install of W7 (ive tried build 7000 twice, 7057, now 7100), the system works beautifully for a couple days then (seemingly randomly) I get to the desktop with a popup on the taskbar saying there was an error starting the "system event notification service service [sic]" and i've lost aero. The aero troubleshooting tool cannot fix the problem, and I cannot enable it using the registry hack.

I am having nearly identical problems to those cited here.

Any help?

I have the same problem too.

when I start my system, everything is normal but when I choose sleep and wake up system again, aero mode is disable.
In this mode if I run a video file, windows is crashing.

I tried post #7 instructions but my problem not solved.
-----------------------
Sorry about my English!

Back