Windows 10 Error 0x80070002 and 0x80080005: Windows Update doesn't work and its service can be started

Deses

Hi chaps!
For the last several months I've been unable to update my Windows 10 installation and use App Store, and I'm not sure if it's related but the only App I have installed (Readiy) doesn't start.The error code given by Windows Update is 0x80080005, and when I try to manually start the Windows Update service the error code is 0x80080002.
6J7ZhqI.png

ficwolU.png
So far I tried to run sfc /scannow and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and no problems were shown nor fixed... I'm not able to upload nor link to the sfc cbs log. Yay!

Last edited:
Almost sounds like your Windows Update service is missing. Errors that end in 0002 and 0005 see below.
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
2 (0x2)
The system cannot find the file specified.
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
5 (0x5)
Access is denied.

Hi Deses,
have you tried the troubleshooter?
Windows Update Troubleshooter - Windows Help -

Yeah, I tried that, but it said that everything was fine and dandy...

Almost sounds like your Windows Update service is missing. Errors that end in 0002 and 0005 see below.
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
2 (0x2)
The system cannot find the file specified.
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
5 (0x5)
Access is denied.

Yup, looks like there are missing files. How are they gone? I have no idea. I remember using some random tool to get rid of default non-uninstallable Win10 apps (like OneNote, Health and whatnot) but I find unlikely that it delete the Windows Update Service.

Anyway, how could I reinstall it... without reinstalling Windows if at all possible? I have a Windows 10 VM, I could copy the files from there.

I don't think there is a way to re-install Windows Update.
You may one to try sfc /scannow if it prompts you for installation media then it may fix the issue. Otherwise I would say you are going to need to do a soft Windows install.

You may one to try sfc /scannow if it prompts you for installation media then it may fix the issue.

Sadly I already tried that command and it did nothing useful. :(

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Iniciando examen en el sistema. Este proceso tardará algún tiempo.

Iniciando la fase de comprobación del examen del sistema.
Se completó la comprobación de 100%.

Protección de recursos de Windows no encontró ninguna infracción
de integridad.

In English, that would mean that nothing is corrupt and Windows is OK.

I don't think there is a way to re-install Windows Update.
I would say you are going to need to do a soft Windows install.

You break my heart. :(

What are the implications of a soft install? I understand it leaves the programs and my files, but does it reset the registry, effectively breaking almost all the programs installed? (Thank goodness I mostly use portable programs nowadays.)
Is it ok to "soft-install" an ISO with build 10586 if I have currently installed the build 10240?

Thanks for the assistance!!

You may also want to try
Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth /Source:pathto_install.wim
The install.wim or install.esd file should be on the Windows install media under sources. There is an option in the re-install to keep data and applications, it should not affect your data or programs. I'm not sure if it maintains the registry or not. I believe it would if your applications are intact.

You may also want to try
Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth /Source:pathto_install.wim
The install.wim or install.esd file should be on the Windows install media under sources. There is an option in the re-install to keep data and applications, it should not affect your data or programs. I'm not sure if it maintains the registry or not. I believe it would if your applications are intact.

That command sounds excellent, I'll give it a go this Friday after I clone my C: drive to have a backup... better safe than sorry!

Ok, clonezilla image done and iso unzipped... gonna try that command with the "install.esd" file as I don't have an "install.wim". Wish me luck!

Edit: I ran H:\> ISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth /Source:install.esd and it didn't work, it took a while but I'm still having the issue.

I also ran into that with the .esd file my thoughts on it are that either you need to have the correct esd / iso file for your current build or you can install NTLite and try converting the esd to a wim

Welp, I ended up reinstalling Win10 on top Win10 maintaining all the files and Windows Update works again... No amount of DISM or managed to work. :( I hope nothing broke!

Neemobeer, I tried converting the esd to wim and using the ISO from my current build instead of the newer ISO and it also did nothing. Anyway, I want to thank you for taking the time to try to help me, you are awesome. :D

I hope that whoever comes here in look for help fares better than me.

No problem. I also tried getting the current ISO for my install and doing the same thing because IE is broken. I probably won't reinstall because I never use IE anyways.

Back