Windows 7 "Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty" = cannot delete folder?

maiaibing

Have a problem with 2-3 directories that I cannot delete. If I try I get the following message: Error 0x80070091: The directory is not empty

I have done a disk scan several times now - at first there where some errors, but they should now be fixed.

Is there a way to force delete the folders?

:confused:

What Folders are they?

Are they empty? No hidden files?

Can you take ownership of the folders and anything in them and delete?

Have you tried deleting them in safe mode?

Well, I have only one folder and it's my Temp folder. I looked in Properties and it told me there is nothing in the folder (0 bites). Also I made sure it wasn't hidden. I am the owner of the folder but I still cant delete it. And how do I delete my Temp folder in Safe Mode? My reasoning for asking is I was downloading a free game that needed to install. But It also needed to put the items to install into the Temp folder, then it would automatically install. Problem is, my temp folder is "corrupt or unreadable". So I tried to delete it and replace it with a new Temp folder. Yet, I couldn't delete the folder. What should I do?

Well, I have only one folder and it's my Temp folder. I looked in Properties and it told me there is nothing in the folder (0 bites). Also I made sure it wasn't hidden. I am the owner of the folder but I still cant delete it. And how do I delete my Temp folder in Safe Mode? My reasoning for asking is I was downloading a free game that needed to install. But It also needed to put the items to install into the Temp folder, then it would automatically install. Problem is, my temp folder is "corrupt or unreadable". So I tried to delete it and replace it with a new Temp folder. Yet, I couldn't delete the folder. What should I do?
Hello Kristy and welcome to the forums.
There are any number of possible locations (paths) where a or your Temp folder might be located
C:\Temp
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp
C:\Users\YourUseName\AppData\LocalLow\Temp
etc., etc.,
I have often used a program called Unlocker to help me get rid of unwanted files or folders.
Generally if it doesn't find any open handles it will offer you some options as to how to proceed. If you truly wish to delete the folder you should be able to select delete from the drop down and reboot.
Check and see if that works for you.
Upon reboot check and see if the folder has been automatically recreated or if you need to reconstruct in manually.
Regards
Randy

Back