Windows 10 Error message when copying files after pathway character limit fix

Cretos

I was unable to copy music from external hard drive because of the character pathway limit. I followed the instruction provided to lift the restriction. The value is set to 1. Now I get the error message 0x80004005. What does this mean? How can I fix this?

if you copy the music to a root folder instead of a desktop then that should work around the error i.e, something like D:/ Music as your target

Ok but how do I fix the issue of not being able to copy anything? It worked fine before I changed the value from 0 to 1. This forum instructed me to use reddit to adjust the value. Now i type in reddit and all i get is some website stuff not the actual app on the computer. And I could at least copy some files before but it won't copy anything now.

My Bad, yes it is regedit. I was able to change the value back to 0. And now I can copy some files. However when I try to create a Music folder under C it wants to merge with the desktop music folder. The reply I got earlier seemed to indicate that a I need to copy these files to a root folder. Am I going about this the wrong way? Also it would be much handier to have the music in it's intended folder. I could not get other downloaded registry editors to install properly. I would much rather simply be able to copy any music with no restriction whatsoever. Or do away with all these registry entries. I really could care less where the file was before. All I am interested in is the music itself.

The default music location would be C:\Users\[username]\Music so I can't speak to why you have a music directory on your desktop. The character limit applies to both the source and destination locations. Simply renaming parts of the path to shorten them should resolve the issue.

If the copy source is "D:\My Music\Some folder1\somefolder 2\...\Artist\Album 1\Song 1" name you need to shorten each directory or move the music up to a so the full path is shorter like D:\My Music\Artist\Album 1\Song 1

I never said I had a directory on my desktop. Somebody on the forum suggested putting files in a folder under C. You should follow all the posts and replies of this thread. So how do you shorten the directory?

When I try and rename the files on my external hard drive I also get the error message. I cannot rename them. Does it make any difference if they were transferred from m4a and wma to mp3 using a ubuntu lennux program?

Should be able to even if they exceed the limit The other option would be to download a Linux distro such as Ubuntu and boot to the live version and shorten the names. Linux doesn't have the 255 limit

I am using Ubuntu 18 alongside windows. However I would rather have full acess to music in both OS.
I was even wondering if since they were converted using ubunu this might actually be the real problem. Also I have yet to find a music player for ubuntu I am satisfied with. I would also like to back my music up on the hard drive as much as possible. Let me reinterate the music is on an external hard drive and windows will not let me rename the files.

Please read all posts and all edits to the post. what i really need to do is delete these file pathway registry entries how can I do that? You say rename it but do not specify how. Keep in mind some of as I are quite the novice when it comes to all this. I have tried renaming and shortening the file name but I Imagine the real problem is all these pathway file names it attaches to it.

Last edited:
I am using Ubuntu 18 alongside windows. However I would rather have full acess to music in both OS.
have you tried using Ubuntu to rename the file path?
a screengrab of this folder showing the full path would make your issue clear & no it doesn't make any difference that Ubuntu was used to make the files in the first place... it is designed to talk to Windows

Back