Windows 7 Error when saving files: creates empty file

S432

Greetings all,

I'm running the Windows 7 RTM and I've been recently getting this error in Firefox while trying to save images/files:

"You don't have permission to modify files in this network location."

These are files that I'm trying to save to local disk. Once this error message appears, a blank file (0 bytes) is created in that location and I must overwrite it in order to save the file (it then saves fine). This error occurs maybe 20% of the time, and I am able to recreate it consistently.

This has happened in Photoshop and Notepad as well. I'm not running any type of network, and all network sharing is turned off. I am logged on with administrator rights and own the folders which I am trying to save to.

Any idea what is causing this? It is a minor issue but it is rather infuriating (especially when editing many photos).

Thanks

Hey S432,
have you tried changing the UAC settings at all?

Kemical,

Thanks, yes, forgot to mention that. UAC is on the second lowest setting (still alerts me, does not dim screen). The last setting (never alerts me when things are changing) seems rather risky.

At least two other people have experienced this problem apparently:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/4528-permission-modify-files-network-location.html

My install is fresh (not an upgrade) and I've experienced this problem ever since I put it on. I'm more confused as to WHAT is causing this problem than anything - why would the application/Windows create an empty file before the file is saved?

You could try turning the UAC off if that helps and then re-enabling later..

I was also going to suggest talking to reghakr too...:)

Back