Error with laptop booting please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by jkane0187, Oct 19, 2010.

1. jkane0187

jkane0187 New Member

Hello,

I am having an interesting predicament with my Asus UL50VT Laptop I bought about 2.5 months ago. Just today, when I returned home from class I found my laptop with a black screen and a blinking cursor in the upper-left corner (like a command prompt). I could not type anything into it however. I am able to boot the computer using Asus' Express Gate they put on my computer. In this I am able to view photos and listen to music from the both hard drives on my computer.

Earlier today, I accidentally left the laptop on for about 45min in my backpack in class (forgot to hit the sleep button) which caused it to get reasonably hot. After I realized this and put it to sleep, I brought it back to my apartment. I was then able to unsleep it and watch a movie and do homework with no problems. I did not return it to sleep before my 2nd class where the problem occurred during.

The issue is when I boot it normally it will show a brief Asus screen and then go right to the command prompt-type window again. I am able to enter the BIOS, but am not able to start the computer in Safe Mode.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening or know what a solution may be? If you need any other info I can provide it for you gladly. Thank you in advance for your consideration with this problem I have been having.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Have you tried changing any of the settings for the Express Gate in the bios?

3. Mitchell_A

Mitchell_A Excellent Member

Have you tried updating the BIOS? It could also be possible your MBR is damaged...
    Is the Asus UL series one of the smaller notebooks lacking a DVD drive? If not, go here to download a Windows 7 Repair Disc, and burn it to a blank DVD, boot from it on the computer and run startup repair.

Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files

Alternatively, if you don't have a DVD drive, you can use a USB pen drive.
    Install Windows 7 From USB Drive/Pen Drive
    (In that tutorial, change the installation files into the repair files, follow same procedure)

I Hope this helps :)