Windows 7 Explorer creates a copy by default

mehrlicht

Hello.
I'm copying my old files into my new disk and W7 explorer doesn't prompt me to choose to replace, create a copy or skip existing files... It creates a copy (filename - copy.ext) by default.
How can I change this?:confused:
Thanks

Hi,

How are you doing the copy process?

This is the default action if you have files already in a particular folder and then choose copy, then paste, it will not overwrite, but the files will have the - copy extensionn on them.

I'm dragging from one folder with the right mouse button pressed and then dropping in the destination folder chosing move here from the menu. The result is the same either the source and destination drives are the same or different partitions/drives. In Vista and XP it would prompt me (even doing copy) - perhaps I changed some setting at the time, don't remember.
thanks

Actually, I just did this myself because in copying over my Sysinternals folder, I inadvertently created a sub folder under the original. So I selected all, Chose Cut, went to the main folder and choose Paste and it stated There is already a file with the same name in the destination folder.

I choose Move and Replace and clicked the checkbox and the bottom and it worked fine.

May you want to try this method.

I just want to overwrite the ones that exist... and keep the ones i'm not moving any with the same name. I always did this and it is stupid not being able to keep doing it... There are other options but they are outside windows explorer...

I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're trying to accomplish.

First you state:

Hello.
I'm copying my old files into my new disk and W7 explorer doesn't prompt me to choose to replace, create a copy or skip existing files... It creates a copy (filename - copy.ext) by default.
How can I change this?

Then you state

I'm dragging from one folder with the right mouse button pressed and then dropping in the destination folder chosing move here from the menu.

Could you better describe "I'm copying my old files into my new disk?

What location are you trying to move the files from?
A different partition or a USB drive?
Could you provide a screen shot?

I do this all the time. Fo example if I download the same set of files through soulseek from different users with different folder names but same filenames and then want to put all of them in the same folder on my drive. I could say I was copying my old files to my new disk but that wouldn't aply to waht I'm going to do in the future.
The result is the same either I mover the files from a different partition or from the same.
But nevermind. I just posted in case someone knew.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom