Windows 7 Explorer issue with Word docs

TKR99

I've recently not only upgraded to Win 7 but am now also using the Office 2010 beta but had this problem with Word 2007 as well, but it's not a Word issue (I don't think).

Basically when I used XP, I was able to hover over a document name in Explorer and if I had put information into the Document properties that would have popped up with the rest of the document info. However, since the upgrade (and as I said, prior to the beta Office), I can no longer obtain that information no matter what I do. I've put it into every possible place I could find in the document properties in Word, and have gone systematically through Explorers settings to see if I could find something that might expand on those details, all to no avail. So I'm wondering whether this is a permanent "problem" with Win 7 or one I've just not yet cracked?? :frown: As I use hundreds of Word docs over time and most are named with numbers because I've too many similar ones (and also because before I didn't have to worry), I'm truly keen to try and find a solution to this, should it mean perhaps using a different Explorer program, but want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I go to all that hassle.

Any suggestions?? TIA. Romayne :)

I've recently not only upgraded to Win 7 but am now also using the Office 2010 beta but had this problem with Word 2007 as well, but it's not a Word issue (I don't think).

Basically when I used XP, I was able to hover over a document name in Explorer and if I had put information into the Document properties that would have popped up with the rest of the document info. However, since the upgrade (and as I said, prior to the beta Office), I can no longer obtain that information no matter what I do. I've put it into every possible place I could find in the document properties in Word, and have gone systematically through Explorers settings to see if I could find something that might expand on those details, all to no avail. So I'm wondering whether this is a permanent "problem" with Win 7 or one I've just not yet cracked?? :frown: As I use hundreds of Word docs over time and most are named with numbers because I've too many similar ones (and also because before I didn't have to worry), I'm truly keen to try and find a solution to this, should it mean perhaps using a different Explorer program, but want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious before I go to all that hassle.

Any suggestions?? TIA. Romayne :)

Yep, another genius move on the part of microsoft, remove some actual functionality and see if anyone complains. To actually get to see what you want to see, you have to actually select it and then on the new "Feature Rich" environment near the bottom of explorer it shows a extended properties view of the selected item. You should try finding shared folders, when you have 50 to 100 of them. Remember the little hand indicating a shared folder, gone, yep, just gone. Now you have to select the folder and then down on the new bar, you get to see the "two little dudes" indicating that the folder is shared. Was this your idea, I know it certainly wasn't my idea, and I was sure that Windows 7 was my idea.

Yep - it's the "metadata" okay that I'm after and yes, I know I can get it through Properties/Details, but it's just so much quicker if I could get that info when I hover over the document. The extended view sadly doesn't bring up the full properties either. Is there any hope that the boffins who've created Win 7 could be informed of such issues as this and improve on them in future updates?? If so, how do you advise them i.e. do they have a website to post up such requests. SO wish I'd known about the beta before it became the standard. :frown:

So I take it I'll either have to give up on this concept, or content myself with 3 extra mouse clicks each time I want to figure out what a document contains? Maybe I should just revert back to ye good olde XP :(

Back
Top Bottom