Windows 7 Fails to boot after hardware change

Iamnobody

I expect the answer to this is that I'll have to install Windows again, but I wanted to make sure before I open the disk case and waste $80.

Details:

-Gets to the loading windows screen and crashes just before the four colored balls make contact. The screen freezes for about a tenth of a second before restarting, but I don't get a BSOD.
-Original install was OEM
-CPU, GPU, and motherboard were all changed. Also added a 1 TB HDD, but everything else is the same.
-I scratched the top of my board during installation. The only effect seemed to be blocking CPU temp readings, and memtest+ fixed that for some reason.

board is now MSI 970a-g46 from FOXCONN 2a92
CPU is FX-8320 from Phenom II X4 965
GPU is R9 270 from HD 6850

I've tried:
-Loading from system image and reformatting to factory settings before booting
-Running startup repair, which found errors once but didn't change anything
-Running memtest+ and windows' memory test, both with no errors

Can anyone confirm that I need to install Windows from a new disk to fix this? I'm completely open to running more tests if there's any chance it's a hardware issue.

The trouble is as you've replaced so much the windows installation is basically in a new computer. Once the motherboard is changed Microsoft considers that a different pc and with a normal licence as long as that installation is on one pc only you would only have to activate windows again. Since your using an OEM version then the licence will be tied to the Foxconn board. I'm not exactly sure if it's this that's causing the crash but that version of windows is expecting a certain motherboard and chip which obviously have now changed.
Try booting into safe mode or trying 'last good known configuration' but if you do get into windows I'd would expect it to eventually to ask for it to be activated again.

For adding a new motherboard, a clean install of Windows is a must. Different hardware need's different driver's. P.S. Don't install any driver's from the hardware cd's. Go to the hardware maker's website and get current driver's. The cd's are almost alway's out-dated driver's.

Kemical is spot on.....this is a licensing issue. Because of the mobo change this this is the reason it's not installing your OEM OS. You could make a call to MS and explain the reason for the components changes and MS should...I say should activate your copy over the phone. Other wise you will need to buy a retail copy of windows.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950929

Yes you need a new install because all your drivers refer to the old system and most are invalid with the new setup. None of the actions that you performed can fix that.

And then the licensing problem also applies as stated by kemical. To fix that you need a fresh product key.

I was even thinking about Windows being the o.e.m. version, as kemical stated. I've always purchased the regular version. Just try to activate Windows after the clean install and a window with a phone number to call Microsoft should appear, if the activation fail's. It should just give you a series of numbers to type in, after you answer a few question's or it will give you a live person to speak to. You still will need to install updated drivers after the activation. Also, run Windows Update until none are found.

Just try to activate Windows after the clean install and a window with a phone number to call Microsoft should appear, if the activation fail's. It should just give you a series of numbers to type in, after you answer a few question's or it will give you a live person to speak to. You still will need to install updated drivers after the activation.
I ponder and wonder, why this mankind that seems to live through the phone, is so reluctant to try to solve problems with the simple use of it. I've contacted Microsoft ~half a dozen of times, no long waiting times, and I've always had my question solved. Same goes with other sellers / retailers.

A license issue, yes. But how to solve it? A phone call?

Back