Windows 7 Failure to show login screen after forced restart (Same with safe mode)

Narmani

My Dad was using one of my 64 bit PCs when a program froze up and he decided to force restart the computer (Pro move, I know). Now I restart and am unable to get to the login screen. Using both safe mode and normal mode gives me the same result. After I choose one of those options, I see the "Windows is starting" message and the icon. However, before I can get to the login screen the screen goes black and all I can see is the curser in the middle of the screen. I would like to be able to get to the login screen so I can access my computer. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated as a lot of my work material is on this machine.

Hi Narmani,
a couple of things you could try is pressing F8 whilst booting and then clicking 'Last good known configuration'. Or change the boot order so you can boot from the Windows disk and then hit 'Repair'.

Considering the fact that safe mode doesn't work that means windows was edited in some way. You will either have to use a system restore or do a windows repair.

Back