Windows 7 Failure to unpin from taskbar, related to diablo 3

b0dycast

hello all. i recently installed diablo 3, and in the process of installing i somehow managed to pin a shortcut to my taskbar. this shortcut says "Battle.net Account Management". the shortcut works, and is actually a link to the battle.net login screen. HOWEVER... i cannot right click or drag on the icon to try and remove it. i can drag it along the taskbar, but thats all. its a small problem but for one as OCD as myself its extrememly unnerving. i found a related thread in support, but it was for the diablo 3 beta. i tried what that user did, and have had no luck so far. any help would be great!

You might try to see if you can remove it from the following location. At least check the properties for it.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

We can check for some registry entry if this doesn't work, so info about the exact link might help the search.

And AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to allow that in folder options.

I have Diablo III, and it's working just fine. You may try

1. uninstall the present, from the Steelseries folder in Start Menu,
2. look for latest update, and install that.

It may be a matter of some "attached third party software" you have installed. Like many programs come with various toolbars, and if you're not paying attention you get something new... and you don't really know where it came from.

Be careful with installations, so you don't install "extras".

You might try to see if you can remove it from the following location. At least check the properties for it.

C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

We can check for some registry entry if this doesn't work, so info about the exact link might help the search.

And AppData is a hidden folder, so you may have to allow that in folder options.

I also have this problem, I've tried this tip but the file doesn't appear in this folder.
C:\Games\Diablo III\BattlenetAccount.url is the exact link to my BattlenetAccount.url, the one stuck to my taskbar. I'm desperate to delete this, I really want this pin gone!

If the shortcut does not show in the Taskbar folder, I would search the registry for such an entry. Maybe it will show up there, since there may be more than one way to pin a shortcut to that area.

If anyone finds an entry, post what it is and we can try to add things to see if behaves the same as for you. All I can search for is taskbar and that would not really show me anything relevant.

Hey i figured this one out. go to your diablo 3 folder and look for an icon that says "BattlenetAccount" delete this and click the icon on your taskbar. itll say something like this isnt here blah blah dont let it recover the file. I believe it asks you if you would like to. im sorry this is sloppy. i just did it and already can hardly remember lol but anyways once you say dont recover click it again and itll ask you if you would like to remove the icon. say yes. i cant remember if it asks something else between but use ur common sense and youll get rid of that nasty icon. then just go into your recycle bin and put the "BattlenetAccount" file back in the diablo 3 folder. and there you go a clean task bar! =D Hope i helped. please let me know lol

Hey i figured this one out. go to your diablo 3 folder and look for an icon that says "BattlenetAccount" delete this and click the icon on your taskbar. itll say something like this isnt here blah blah dont let it recover the file. I believe it asks you if you would like to. im sorry this is sloppy. i just did it and already can hardly remember lol but anyways once you say dont recover click it again and itll ask you if you would like to remove the icon. say yes. i cant remember if it asks something else between but use ur common sense and youll get rid of that nasty icon. then just go into your recycle bin and put the "BattlenetAccount" file back in the diablo 3 folder. and there you go a clean task bar! =D Hope i helped. please let me know lol

Thank You hazer4026, only I had to delete the Diablo III shortcuts in my Diablo III folder. I believe any task bar pin can be used as the same rule of thumb. When you pin an application to the taskbar it is simply a shortcut. In order to remove the shortcut, go to the target file and delete it.

For example, to DELETE DIABLO III (Pinned to Taskbar):

1) Click Start button and search "Diablo III"
2) Right click the program and click 'Open File Location'
3) Delete the "Diablo III Launcher"
4) Run the pinned Diablo III on your taskbar
5) Click the Delete option
6) Go to your recycle bin and restore your launcher

Once I have also faced such kind of problem and solved by removing the Shortcut from the Taskbar of the game as provided in the solution. So try to solve this problem by this solution. I hope your problem will be solved.

Back