Windows 7 Few Games not Working

Programlog

Hello,
Recently, I installed Windows 7 (64bit) and decided to give it a run. Installed quick, set itself up (I LOVE the no-driver hassles), and everything about it is just great. However, gaming with it is another story.

I installed the following games:
-Battlefield 2142 (punkbuster)
-Call of Duty 4 (punkbuster)
-Fallout 3 (Games for windows live)
-Team Fortress 2 (steam)

Battlefield 2142: Didn't run. Double click to launch, screen goes black. I press Ctrl+Alt+Del to find the program isn't working. One of my favorites not running :(

Call of Duty 4: Kinda disheartened by BF2142 not working. Launch this, lo and behold, not working either! same deal too; launchs into black screen, but does nothing. Meanwhile, windows is prompting me saying it isn't working, in the background.

Fallout 3: This game didn't work on my previous XP install, so I was really hoping this would install. However, Games for Windows will NOT install. During the initial installation, it fails and windows prompts 'trying to find solution'. Rest installs fine. When I try to run it, error comes up; 'The program can't start because xlive.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.' I downloaded Games for Windows installer off of Microsoft's website, and try to install it like that. However, during the installation the 'trying to resolve' pops up, if I click cancel it just skips the entire installation! The install finishes, and it prompts it as succesful, although it installed nothing.

Team Fortress 2: This was a favorite, and so help me god if it didn't work. Luckily, Steam downloaded it without a hitch, and I was able to play it with same framerate as XP and all. Seems that Steam is the platform with least BS tied with it.

Please, if you see ANY way to fix the 3 game's errors, reply on this thread and let me (and others) know! I really do like what Microsoft has done with Windows 7; Floats like Windows Vista, yet stings like Windows XP.

Specs:
Windows 7, 64bit
Nvidia GeForce 8500GT
1gb of ram
Dual core Intel E4600 2.4GHZ

Cheers, and thanks to all who reply!

If you have another windows partition apart from the W7 one, you can make some steam games work correctly. First, install steam in W7. Then, make a shortcut of the steam.exe of the other OS partition (XP in my case) to your desktop. You will then have steam installed in W7 but you will be running the steam installed in the other OS. It worked for me, and also you dont have to copy the steamapps folder, which is a major hassle. Hope this helps you

Hey,
Thanks for the reply!
However, Steam isn't causing me any problems. From what I've seen, steam isn't having any problems with W7. It's the 'Games for Windows Live' games that are having a spot of trouble. I'm not so sure if Punkbuster has anything to do with BF2142 and COD4 not running, but lots of people are saying PB isn't great with W7.

Hi
Fallout 3 and Call of duty 4 works for me
Fallout 3 without problems.
In Call of duty 4 you must update your punkbuster with the PBSETUP application that you can download from evenbalance.com

Games that for the moment don't run for me:
-Hitman Blood Money

First off; thanks for the replys!

I tried to install OpenOffice 3, but it kept on encountering a problem. However, Windows 7 popped up with a solution! Plain and simple instructions on opening command prompt and deleting some registry file. Not only did this allow OpenOffice to install, but also Games for Windows live! Fallout 3 is working great!

COD4 and BF2142 is still expierencing the same problems; opens up to a black screen, not working.

I can live without BF2142 and COD4, although with some sorrow. Hopefully, through some update, they will eventually work on this great Operating System.

Cheers to all,
-Programlog

First off; thanks for the replys!

I tried to install OpenOffice 3, but it kept on encountering a problem. However, Windows 7 popped up with a solution! Plain and simple instructions on opening command prompt and deleting some registry file. Not only did this allow OpenOffice to install, but also Games for Windows live! Fallout 3 is working great!

COD4 and BF2142 is still expierencing the same problems; opens up to a black screen, not working.

I can live without BF2142 and COD4, although with some sorrow. Hopefully, through some update, they will eventually work on this great Operating System.

Cheers to all,
-Programlog

Can you clarify on what command(s) you were told to run?

Certainly, I'm still getting the 'solve' in the Windows Action centre.

This is the message:

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.
To solve this problem, follow these steps:
  1. Click the Start button Link Removed - Invalid URL, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
  2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Link Removed - Invalid URL In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f
  4. Press Enter to install the solution.
  5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

Back