Windows 8 file explorer keeps crashing on certain folders

draph91

the folder had over 900 hundred files so I placed them in separate files after reading that too many files causes explorer to crash, however when I change 2 of the 7 folders to details explorer automatically crashes, for one it closes as soon as I change it to details and for the other, it closes when I scroll down, if you want me to provide a picture let me know, they're mostly photos and videos, also I should mention that before I put them in separate folders, it kept crashing when I tried to open it

Last edited:
Hi

First I'd run Malwarebytes and CCleaner, just as a precaution.

You could also try running "sfc /scannow" from the command prompt window and see if it finds something to fix. Just cut and paste this command into the windows without the quotes.

This is just my guess but you probably have corrupt files in the folders that triggers Windows to crash when I tries to read the details, though I'm surprised that copying them didn't cause a crash.

I'd start with the folder that only crashes when you change it to details and copy the files 10 at a time to new folders. Just label them folder Test01 etc, and make sure that view isn't set to details.

After moving them try and change the properties on the new folder to Details and see if the folder crashes.

If the first folder you move the files to doesn't crash you are probably on the right track.

When you do get a folder that crashes remove the files one at a time, by cutting and pasting them to another folder, until you find the one that crashes Windows Explorer in the new folder, and stops the old folder from chashing.

If this works you can copy all the files back into a common folder and see if it's stable.

I don't know a way to just scan the files and find the ones that are causing the problem, maybe someone else here has another idea but that's the way I'd do it.

If I was doing this I'd open two Windows Explorer windows side by side so I can look at the source and destination folders without scrolling up and down.

Mike

You could also open the folders with a Linux install (Ubuntu) and use that to sort the mess out… keep it under 50 and windows will settle down.

Give "Always show icons, never thumbnails" a try
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Folder Options\View Tab\Top Check Box
Check it and click OK
See if explorer still crashes

Back