Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Been waiting for this for a while now.
Finally we can do a bit of customizing of the WinKey + X (so-called SuperUser Menu) by using this tool found here
Link Removed
It's not all that easy and requires just a brief trip to the command prompt window but an example of how you can use it is nicely explained here
How to Add Items to the New Win+X Menu in Windows 8 - How-To Geek
Enjoy.
Randy

I think I mentioned it in a post somewhere. I have worked on mine and have all my program folders with shortcuts in there now. Nice if you like to play around by yourself instead of loading up a third party proggy!

Interesting Dave.
Could you perhaps do a snip image of that WinKey + X menu. I could use some ideas as to how to move forward with mine.
Like to see what you have accomplished thus far.
Randy

Post back later - I'm in windows 7 at the moment.

Later:

This is one example I have recently constructed. I am still hoping that MS will have a legacy menu to offer, but it is no longer a serious issued with so many third party alternatives around.
I am playing with this as a possibility for the final release. I have brought out MSOffice word as an example, but all my folders/shortcuts are tucked in "Programs" I have also deleted a few of the defaults as not required. The possibilities are infinite, if you want all the work involved ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just looked at the links, Trouble. It seems a little confusing in some areas. But there does not seem to be a mention of one essential ingredient - the hacking of an important system file.
I have attached a zip of my method. the included text file says all (for me!).

Woops. Too big as an attachment so I have put it on my host service here:

Link Removed

but it is no longer a serious issued with so many third party alternatives around.
Agreed, with classic shell I get pretty much what I want with one third party overlay.
I have attached a zip of my method. the included text file says all (for me!).[/url]
Thanks for that Dave. I will have a look at that as well, yet another potential options.
Randy

Yet another third party tool for editing the contents of the Win + X (Super User) menu.
Unlike the one in the OP, which seems to be a bit over complicated and doesn't always seem to work that reliably, this one contains a GUI interface (no DOS Command prompt work), and requires no installation (runs from the executable) and contains both a 64 and 32 bit version. You can add additional Groups to the menu, add a new shortcut to existing or new Groups and Restore the menu to its' default settings. Best over all it just works.
Link Removed
Step by step explanation here
How to Edit the Win+X Menu in Windows 8 Using a Free Tool - How-To Geek

Back