Windows Vista Firewire wont work on Vista

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I have a vaio sz120 with a clean install of vista ultimate. My firewire port now wont recognize my external hard drive or my camcorder. I cannot seem to find any support through sony or by googling. Please help

If I were you I'd got to the laptop makers website and download the chipset software as these should contain the drivers needed for your machine..

Try this page here:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks Kemica,

Unfortunately, I had already tried that. What sucks is the firewire chipset drivers, if they are there are not labeled firewire drivers. In device manager it says my IEEE 1394 chipset is installed, working and up to date. I removed it so it would force vista to install the new one and it did the same thing. And the frustrating part is I was using the firewire port a couple of months ago when I had xp. Any ideas anyone? Thanks

sorry that didn't help... Could you list the camcorder and HDD?

The Camcorder is a Handycam HC32 and the HDD is a Hitachi 7k200. Thanks for your help.

Hi,
thanks for the info'

The external drive may not be being seen because it's running under FAT32 and as your aware vista uses NTFS.. Try this FAQ for the solution (I think the section you need is half-way down the page):
Link Removed - Invalid URL
On the camcorder this page may help:
Solved: Sony Handycam driver needed - Page 2 - Tech Support Guy Forums
Pleas post back and let us know if this was of some help...:)

I use an HC-42 Handy Cam all the time with Firewire (IEEE 1394). Shortly after I started using it on the computer it quit working. Software reported that it was working fine but would not connect to the camera. To make a long story short the Firewire connector on the docking station had a bent pin. I ordered another connector from Mouser Electronics. Being pretty good with a tiny soldering iron, I replaced the connector and it has worked fine ever since. It was a very tedious job to replace the connector. A replacement docking station is insanely overpriced. This might be your problem. Or not.

My external hard drive works great with a USB 2 connection.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom