Windows 7 First BSOD on Custom PC. Stumped, Help Please.

C0BRA

Hi forums,

Today, I had my very first BSOD encounter with my custom rig that I built back around mid September last year. According to the dump file, it was a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error and it was tied to ntoskrnl.exe. I ran memtest and it found no errors through 2 passes. I used the Driver Verifier built in to Windows and my computer would BSOD right after the "Starting Windows" screen. I've disabled it, but I'm typing this in safe mode right now. I've already taken the liberty of uploading the BSOD .dmp file to OneDrive, which will be posted below. I'm stumped and not sure what to do, but I don't think it's bad memory. I'm fairly certain it's a driver, I'm just not sure which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BSOD dump file: 020216-12604-01.dmp

I guess I should mention that I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (but I guess that might be mostly obvious since I'm under the Windows 7 BSOD forums).

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8008156620, fffff80000ba0748, fffffa800a179620}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ViaHub3.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ViaHub3.sys
Probably caused by : ViaHub3.sys

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as your aware the above bugcheck is caused by drivers executing invalid power states. The probable cause is this driver:

ViaHub3.sys Fri Oct 31 02:44:32 2014: VIA Labs VL800 & VL801 Superspeed USB Host Controller Driver. A later version can be found on your motherboard support page under the Windows 7 64bit section:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)

Post any new dump files.

Code:

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa8008156620, fffff80000ba0748, fffffa800a179620}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ViaHub3.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ViaHub3.sys
Probably caused by : ViaHub3.sys

Hi,
as your aware the above bugcheck is caused by drivers executing invalid power states. The probable cause is this driver:

ViaHub3.sys Fri Oct 31 02:44:32 2014: VIA Labs VL800 & VL801 Superspeed USB Host Controller Driver. A later version can be found on your motherboard support page under the Windows 7 64bit section:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-970A-DS3P (rev. 1.0)

Post any new dump files.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the help. I actually have revision 2 of that motherboard, not revision 1. Anyway, I went to Gigabyte's site and found my motherboard, downloaded that software and tried to install it, but it said something along the lines of not having the supported hardware. Shouldn't I just uninstall the driver then?

Hmm.. Try right clicking the driver and running as administrator. Also are you removing the driver first or just installing over the top?

Ultimately if it doesn't want to install then try leaving it off.

Last edited:
Hmm.. Try right clicking the driver and running as administrator. Also are you removing the driver first or just installing over the top?

Ultimately if it doesn't want to install then try leaving it off.

I tried running it as administrator and it still did the same thing. When the installer runs, it only gives the option to "Install/Update" and the "Remove" option is greyed out and can't be selected. By leaving it off, do you mean disabling the driver itself or what exactly?

If there is a driver installed in the add and remove programs section then uninstall it. Once uninstalled then try with the new driver.

If there is a driver installed in the add and remove programs section then uninstall it. Once uninstalled then try with the new driver.

So I uninstalled the only thing that could be related to being the driver (the only VIA thing that was in the list) then I ran the driver installer as admin and it still said that it couldn't detect the supported hardware in my system.

EDIT: I just checked Device Manager and the driver for it "VIA USB eXtensible Host Controller" has a yellow ! next to it. I clicked update software and search online and it didn't find anything.

EDIT 2: So I downloaded the driver from VIA's site instead of Gigabyte's, and it installed just fine and now the ! in device manager is gone and it installed another driver I didn't have before called "VIA USB 3 Root Hub" and installed some kind of VIA control tool, which I also didn't have before. Maybe this fixed it?

Last edited:
Hopefully so... I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep, the fact that the gigabyte driver failed. I was going to suggest trying the main Via site but you beat me to it.. :)
Still it's a little odd that the main support page seems to be carrying a driver not supported by your machine?

In any case it could be just 'one of those things' and i would monitor the situation. Please post any new dump files.

Hopefully so... I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep, the fact that the gigabyte driver failed. I was going to suggest trying the main Via site but you beat me to it.. :)
Still it's a little odd that the main support page seems to be carrying a driver not supported by your machine?

In any case it could be just 'one of those things' and i would monitor the situation. Please post any new dump files.

Haha wow, that's pretty funny! I just saw it in Device Manager and had to check the main VIA site, which I'd never been to before. I don't know what Gigabyte's deal is, but I'm loving their motherboards (flashed my BIOS with Q-Flash while all of this was going on to fix my weird USB 3 problems). If anything else changes or happens, I'll report back. Thank you so much!

Agreed.. I've been using Gigabyte boards for years and usually they are rock solid performers. Any problems then of course please post back..

Agreed.. I've been using Gigabyte boards for years and usually they are rock solid performers. Any problems then of course please post back..

Hey, it happened again. As soon as WerFault.exe stops using it, I'll copy and upload it to OneDrive. But it was still a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD.

EDIT: Okay...so...the dump file it created was empty. So OneDrive won't take it. But it did happen and it was a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE BSOD again I'm sure, as I saw it on the blue screen itself. Now what? :(

Last edited:
Hmm.. I did wonder if you'd be back as things seemed a little odd what with your driver refusing to install (the one from the gigabyte site anyway).
Ok try these two things, pop into the advanced power settings and make sure 'Hybrid sleep' is enabled.

This page here:
usb.jpg
Has two versions of the same driver. I think your currently using the latest version so try the other version making sure you uninstall the other driver first.
Driver ‧ Firmware | 威鋒電子

Make sure your settings haven't changed:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Hmm.. I did wonder if you'd be back as things seemed a little odd what with your driver refusing to install (the one from the gigabyte site anyway).
Ok try these two things, pop into the advanced power settings and make sure 'Hybrid sleep' is enabled.

This page here:
View attachment 31777
Has two versions of the same driver. I think your currently using the latest version so try the other version making sure you uninstall the other driver first.
Driver ‧ Firmware | 威鋒電子

Make sure your settings haven't changed:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.

Hybrid sleep is "On" in my advanced power settings.

I actually downloaded the 4.40D one, because the page that I was on didn't show any others but that one and the 4.70C. Honestly, it's difficult for me to tell which is even the latest version on their site, or it's not very obvious to me anyway.

So which one is the latest or the earliest? Or which am I supposed to try next, since there's 3 different ones?

Last edited:
Oh you did? There's one which is V4.90A which i assume is the latest, try that.

Oh you did? There's one which is V4.90A which i assume is the latest, try that.

Okay, so I uninstalled 4.40D, restarted, installed 4.90A, and have restarted. I guess we'll see if anything happens now. Thank you for all of your help. I'll report back if anything happens.

I'll keep my fingers crossed Cobra.. :)

Hey kemical, I'm back. It happened again a few minutes ago. Still the same DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. I think it might be something different now. I'll attach the dump file below.

020816-17674-01.dmp

I'd like to note that I actually wasn't doing anything at all when it happened. It was on the desktop and no programs or folders or anything was opened. And it just happened right in front of me.

Code:

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa80085fa060, fffff80000b9a3d8, fffffa8008972c60}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AppleODD.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AppleODD.sys
Probably caused by : AppleODD.sys

Hi,
as you can see the probable cause is this driver:
AppleODD.sys Mon May 24 18:22:33 2010: Apple Optical Disc Drive's Driver please either update or remove.

Code:

BugCheck 9F, {3, fffffa80085fa060, fffff80000b9a3d8, fffffa8008972c60}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AppleODD.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for AppleODD.sys
Probably caused by : AppleODD.sys

Hi,
as you can see the probable cause is this driver:
AppleODD.sys Mon May 24 18:22:33 2010: Apple Optical Disc Drive's Driver please either update or remove.

Hi, thanks for replying. I can't remove that driver because it's for my USB Disk Drive, which is a Mac SuperDrive, and I'm not sure how to go about updating it as it was a part of BootCamp that I downloaded a while back.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found where to get it. Just waiting on it to finish downloading now. Then I guess we'll see what happens from here.

Back