Windows 10 Firts things to do after fresh install of Windows 10!

ExclusiveWF

Howdy!

I always was curious how others do/manage their PC after a fresh installation of Windows 10, so in this thread lets discuss this and even better let's post properly what you do after a fresh installation of Windows 10, what software do you install, what settings you change for your need, and also how you maintain your system well.

I do this:

Debloat Windows 10​

This goes over debloating and slimming down Windows 10 so you get maximum performance from your PC.

I made a guide going over the debloat process two years ago Debloat Windows 10 - The guide has evolved and the github project I was using has also improved.

January 2021 Update​

If you are coming here from the YouTube video I have taken all the scripts below and a system admin script I used a lot in the past to make a streamlined debloat script. This script will optimize Windows and can be run multiple times if you have an update ruin all the optimizations. I have also made it very easy to launch. Here is the source files: ChrisTitusTech/win10script

If you want to just run this on any system, you can easily copy and paste this into a Admin Powershell prompt and watch it do everything for you. It does have two prompts based on user feedback. Let me know what you think below!

December 2020 Feature: GUI added - Select what you want!
January 2021 Feature: 10 Bug Fixes and Network Optimizations added

iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://git.io/JJ8R4'))

What this script can do​

• Installs Chocolatey, Notepad++, Irfanview, VLC, Java, and asks if you want Adobe Reader or Brave.
  • Removes all Windows Store Apps EXCEPT office, xbox, and WSL.
  • Removed Telemetry
  • Disables Cortana
  • Deletes various schedules tasks that rebloat the system
  • Removes Other Bloatware (Candy Crush, etc.)
  • Fixes problems that other scripts cause (lock screen and personalization options restricted)

1. Run Windows Update and Configure Update Settings​

Even though you just installed Windows 10, chances are that some recent updates are pending. You should install these right away to make sure you have the latest features and security patches.

To check for Windows updates, open the Settings app and go to Update & Security > Windows Update.

On this page, click Check for updates and give it some time. After a few moments, it will begin to download and install updates. If there are any that require a restart, you'll see a prompt to do so.

2. Upgrade Your Hardware Drivers​

A device driver is a piece of software that interfaces with and controls how a particular device works when connected to your system. In other words, drivers allow Windows to communicate with hardware properly.

Drivers are usually provided by hardware manufacturers, and like most software, aren't always perfect. Sometimes they're buggy or don't see updates for compatibility with the latest versions of Windows.

Keeping drivers updated is important to make sure your hardware runs at optimal performance. Windows will install generic drivers for devices like keyboards and mice on its own, but you should also know how to update other important drivers, such as display drivers.

3. Install Essential Windows Software​

Windows 10 comes with basic apps for many purposes, but a lot of the best Windows software isn't pre-installed. We've written a full guide to the Windows software that everyone should install right away.

Take a look at that for our recommendations in categories like browsers, security, image editing, messaging, and more.

4. Change Default Windows Settings​

Windows 10's out-of-the-box settings aren't optimal for everyone. They're usable, but you'll probably have a better experience by tweaking them.

There's a lot to manage in Windows 10's Settings app, so let's consider a few keys recommended changes after a Windows 10 installation.

Adjust Default Apps​

After you've installed your favorite apps, you should set them to run by default. To change the preset default apps in Windows 10, perform the following:

1. Head to Settings > Apps > Default apps.
  2. Select your preferred apps for each category, including Email, Music player, Web browser, and more.
  3. Below that, click on Choose default apps by file type to associate various programs with other file types, such as PDF, DOCX, and TXT.

Disable Unnecessary Startup Items​

Many apps set themselves to run at startup, which is a waste of resources and makes your computer take much longer to boot up. After you've installed the software, you should make sure that only approved apps run at boot.

To disable unnecessary startup items in Windows 10:

1. Open the Task Manager with Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
  2. Click More details to switch to the full view, if needed.
  3. Switch to the Startup tab.
  4. Right-click on every app you don't want to start automatically and select Disable to prevent it from launching on startup.

Optimize Power Plan Settings​

Windows 10's Power Plan settings allow you to tweak various aspects of the operating system that involve power usage. This is important to help laptop users save battery life, but also has useful settings for desktop users.

You can then tweak your power plan using these steps:

1. Head to Settings > System > Power & sleep.
  2. On the right side, choose Additional power settings to open the Power Options section of the Control Panel.
  3. You'll see several plans to choose from, including Balanced, Power Saver, and High performance. Select the plan you want, then click Change plan settings to the right to modify it.
  4. Choose the amount of time that passes before the screen turns off and the computer goes to sleep. Then click Change advanced power settings for more options.
  5. While you can review everything here, pay special attention to the settings under the Hard disk, Sleep, Power buttons and lid, Processor power management, and Display categories.
  6. Click OK to save your changes.

Tweak Privacy Settings​

Windows 10 collects all sorts of information about how you use the operating system. This helps Microsoft improve the ever-evolving product, but many view it as an invasion of privacy. Thankfully, you can reduce or disable a lot of the telemetry functions.

Enable Night Light​

Windows 10 includes a built-in feature that makes your screen display warmer at night. This helps reduce the blue light that keeps you awake and makes your computer less harsh to look at when working late.

You can enable it by visiting Settings > System > Display. Enable the Night light slider and click Night light settings to change how it works. You can adjust the intensity of the effect and set it to run automatically from sunset to sunrise or during certain hours of your choice.

5. Set Up a Backup Plan​

You wouldn't want to go through all this setup only to have your computer ruined by a virus or dead hard drive. It's vital to back up your data to protect it from these and other dangers.

6. Personalize Windows 10​

While it's not important as the above, you should still take some time to customize your desktop after installing Windows 10. It's amazing what a fresh wallpaper, unique mouse cursor, and other small personalization tweaks can do to make your system feel like home.

NOTE! Some of these suggestions WILL kill your Windows update, while others will ruin your "Windows 10 experience" while most "benefits" are more PLACEBO than anything else...

My suggestion is to be careful with this kind of "optimizers"... You really do not need them at all.... Just like "registry cleaners" the are totally useless, and only risks harming your use of the PC...

Last edited:
Youthey...risk

NOTE! Some of these suggestions WILL kill your Windows update, while others will ruin your "Windows 10 experience" while most "benefits" are more PLACEBO than anything else...

My suggestion is to be careful with this kind of "optimizers"... Wou really do not need them at all.... Just like "registry cleaners" the are totally useless, and only risks harming your use of the PC...

I hope are you joking, really.

I do this for 9 years, the pc works without issues and also from others that do the same, when you said that stupidity regarding "KILL" you should think first, and also read very carefully what i wrote and check what i wrote, nothing will be "killed" trust me, basically i wrote what i do for 9 years with my pc and i never complained now or then and you tell that i ruin my windows experience? Really? Is what i do not that others should do, but yeah, complicated to read the post.

Who said about optimizers? Everything is manual only the Debloater that is a must if you want to Debloat Windows 10, thats all, i never use "optimizers"

That 1 and 2, please be on topic next time, here we post what we do after a fresh install of windows 10, not how i manage my system.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Youthey...risk

I hope are you joking, really.

I do this for 9 years, the pc works without issues and also from others that do the same, when you said that stupidity regarding "KILL" you should think first, and also read very carefully what i wrote and check what i wrote, nothing will be "killed" trust me, basically i wrote what i do for 9 years with my pc and i never complained now or then and you tell that i ruin my windows experience? Really? Is what i do not that others should do, but yeah, complicated to read the post.

Who said about optimizers? Everything is manual only the Debloater that is a must if you want to Debloat Windows 10, thats all, i never use "optimizers"

That 1 and 2, please be on topic next time, here we post what we do after a fresh install of windows 10, not how i manage my system.

Most of the "debloat Windows" is more placebo than of any real use!

And YES! Many who has "disabled telemetry" in Windows has experienced issues with windows update! That is a fact..
So this part of the "debloating" is actually hurting your Windows, and its security.. (NOTE! Defender uses Windows update to download updates...)

And so on... Simply because there are scripts on the net that allows you to change all sorts of settings does not mean they are useful, and certainly not when put together in bulk! This is just a way to advertise the TS own scripts... Nothing else!

For instance! No one needs a script to set the privacy settings, you perform the changes you like while installing and/or when signing in for the 1:st time... (Since they are properly set by you at the time that you access desktop, there is no need to run a script that does what you already have done!) And so on!

I stay firm in my knowledge that I stated earlier:
"My suggestion is to be careful with this kind of "optimizers", "Debloaters", "telemetry killers" and so on... You really do not need them at all.... Just like "registry cleaners" the are totally useless, and only risks harming your use of the PC..."

Last edited:
Most of the "debloat Windows" is more placebo than of any real use!

And YES! Many who "disable telemetry" in Windows experiences issues with windows update! That is a fact.. So this part of the "debloating" is actually hurting your Windows, and its security.. (Defender uses Windows update to download updates...)

And so on... Simply because there are scripts on the net that allows you to change all sorts of settings does not mean they are useful, and certainly not when put together in bulk!

For instance! No one needs a script to set the privacy settings, you perform the changes you like while installing and/or when signing in for the 1:st time... (Since they are properly set by you at the time that you access desktop, there is no need to run a script that does what you already have done!) And so on!

I stay firm in my knowledge that I stated earlier:
"My suggestion is to be careful with this kind of "optimizers", "Debloaters", "telemetry killers" and so on... You really do not need them at all.... Just like "registry cleaners" the are totally useless, and only risks harming your use of the PC..."

I repeat, we are here to show what we do after a fresh install not to debate what you think is better.

In your opinion Chris Titus is a stupid guy that doesn't know nothing regarding IT, no?

That guy has more knowledge than you on everything regarding Windows, mac and linux.

Im just curios what you did in the last 15 years to help companies, users and departments, other that write on forums things that doesn't HELP?

Is your opinion and i do what suits my needs, you do what suit your needs.

And i repeat one more time what you said there is a huge stupidity that i ever read in my entire life, placebo? I use windows updates only for security updates, is the only thing i need.

No one needs, i need and many other people needs also, yo stay firm of your knowledge and dontt bother to explain a STUPIDITY, without knowledge about scripts.

IS ALREADY SECOND TIME THAT I TELL YOU TO BE ON TOPIC NOT TO DEBATE SOMETHING THAT DOESNT HELP ANYONE. KEEP IT FIRM FOR YOU NOT FOR US. END OF DISCUSSION.

Last edited:
And i repeat one more time what you said there is a huge stupidity that i ever read in my entire life!
Ditto!
IF this thread is focused on WHAT you do after installing Windows,
Then Why do you focus on details in your own scripts, but neglect to inform HOW you select proper hardware drivers in section 2.

I wonder how long windowsfoum will allow you advertice your scripts in the debloat section and then advertice your website in section 3?
This thread is not meant to talk about how people do this and that, its obviously only meant to advertise your own bussiness/sites...

Ditto!
IF this thread is focused on WHAT you do after installing Windows,
Then Why do you focus on details in your own scripts, but neglect to inform HOW you select proper hardware drivers in section 2.

I wonder how long windowsfoum will allow you advertice your scripts in the debloat section and then advertice your website in section 3?
This thread is not meant to talk about how people do this and that, its obviously only meant to advertise your own bussiness/sites...
Also, you like the other one, very complicated to read and think.

What is the point to "INFORM" how I select proper hardware drivers? This is not the point of how, the point of the thread is to show what others do, not WHAT I DO FOR GOD SAKE!

Are not my script and is not my website. He is: Chris Titus Tech

Also, you, is so hard to be on-topic? If it is i will change the topic in let's debate my way of use. Seems that is very complicated to think these days.

I wonder as well when you and the other guy will read clearly the post.

Last edited:
Save hours if not days of your time! Open Source and Free Toolbox for ALL! Website Guide: https://christitus.com/windows-10-opt...

Dear @WindowsPro, maybe you find some time and check the video to understand better what is all about Debloater, I did for you because it seems that for you is complicated to check and understand some key feature of the script. The script was made by a huge number of o users on Github and approved by Chris Titus, that was also his idea. He did something to help a lot of users regarding Debloat., so stop throw bull**** on how a script ruin "Windows experience". Computers work well when the user has a brain and knows how to use it, If he doesn't know he check before, like what exactly you didn't understand and check, and you call yourself Windows "PRO", "GOOD JOB".

Windows 10 Debloater! Video!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom