Windows 8 Fk Windows "Automatic Maintenance"

Let me introduce myself: I'm a programmer, and computer tech. I am anal about everything that goes on, on my computer. I don't like when it does things without my consent, much less without the curtesy of an alert. I spent 3 month beating windows into submission, and now that I've "upgraded" to 8.1, it seems to want to download some crap every time I connect to the internet. (Store Broker.exe or some crap that doesn't need to run, downloads sh!t rght into C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution).

I am the kind of person that watches taskmanager while windows boots up, and I know when somthins wrong.

Don't tell me it's "Maintenance" when it runs without even a notification, automatically installing drivers it thinks I need. It runs in the background, it runs without prompting me, and it runs without notification. I know it has somthing to do with the action center, and I am starting to get pissed off that my computer was programmed by microsoft to just do whatever the hell it wants to do.

I have a schedule: once a week I do all the updating, virus scans, check for defrag, run chkdsk off a boot drive, the works. I don't need my OS to tell me what I do or don't need!!!!!

I'm sick of it. Can someone who participated in the creation of this behemoth please tell me what services are required to run this piece of garbage?!?! I want to shut it down, not hide the display away. It's detrimental to performance AND I'M SICK OF IT. Absolutely sick of it.

If no answer comes, I will switch to Linux and save my boot drive for the day Windows fixes their computers NOT TO SPY on their customers (yes, I know you collect encrypted metadata aholes, even with the setting "turned off")

Sorry, it's called WSHost.exe

It starts up and writes into SoftwareDistribution. I can't open any files in there or delete them. If i restart my PC I can, which tells me that there's a program running that is doing somthing.

Also, Virus scans reveal nothing. What's more windows likes to do this crap when I put it to sleep, and my problems only started after I abruptly stopped it from proceeding with it's unauthorized actions. Apparently it was installing a driver while not connected to the internet, and needed to "finish". I have superanti spyware, and AVG. Scans reveal nothing, and
Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
doesn't fix the issue (i wasn't going to waste time by verifying...).

After my "upgrade" to windows 8.1, the OS seems more persistent than ever to run this "maintenance". I don't buy it. If it was maintenance, it wouldn't be hiding in the background, waiting 5 minutes until your computer started up. You would be able to actually turn it off, and it wouldn't run while your computer is asleep (it doesn't even wake to computer. Sleep is a joke!).

What this tells me is that it's doing somthing it shouldn't be.

Ah, what are we discussing here? What's the query or topic?

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

If you truly were a computer tech, you might have looked into it rather than complaining on a site which you seem to be under the impression is run by Microsoft employees.

The automatic maintenance part of Windows 8 run via the task scheduler. It can be disabled by navigating to the Task Scheduler, then expanding the Microsoft section followed by Windows and then task scheduler. Here, right click on both "Idle maintenance" and "regular maintenance" and select disable. Easy as that.

Hi

I have my updates set to download but not install.
It notifies me in the taskbar and in the loading window when I boot up but it doesn't install anything unless I tell it to.

The one thing that's annoying and I don't know how to stop it is that for some reason it opens a command prompt window telling me that it's installing update definitions for Windows Defender right in the middle of a game, closing the game window at a sometimes critical point. This can be kind of a pain.

This seems to be independent of the don't install updates option, and it does is a couple of times a day.

I'd switch to Linux too, if it would really let you use your computer in a normal manner, but it doesn't, most software either won't run or takes days of fiddling around to get it to work.

If you want to use a PC you have to use Windows or go Apple.
There really isn't an option.

Maybe someday someone will come up with another real OS but I'm pretty sure anyone who offered anything that would run Windows software would get dragged into court immediately.

Otherwise there would be some real competition for the best OS.
Great for consumers not so great for Microsoft.

Mike

Last edited:
Maybe, now that M$ has decided to turn it's back on the best thing they have ever done, an independent company can buy XP and re-release it... giving people a realistic and usable option for an OS.

Seems I wasn't clear enough & seems I better stop people from thinking that left a door open. It's not an opportunity to insult... yes, I do know what Auto maintenance is. What I don't know is what some are talking about regarding things suddenly, whimsically, popping up, taking over, running amuck, doing whatever they please like rebels or imps and interfering w/ or shutting down things that are running @ the time. As an IT Pro, I have not, previously, heard of this or ever seen such behavior or activity in my own machine nor any of my customers' machines. So, aside from knowing what Auto Maitenance is, I, still, am missing what is being slammed here. Could be just me, I might not be seeing the forest for the trees; the gist may be getting lost amongst all the sarcasm & digs against Microsoft.

For me, the AM does its helpful, valuable, work quite nicely & quite quietly.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Maybe, now that M$ has decided to turn it's back on the best thing they have ever done, an independent company can buy XP and re-release it... giving people a realistic and usable option for an OS.

No one is "turning their back" in that sense... more like just moving on, technology does that. XP was a good thing but, debatably, not the best. XP is "the best" only if someone refuses to acknowledge how good Windows 8.1 is. Even good horses ultimately are turned out to pasture, if their owners let that happen (in this case more a dinosaur than horses). Hard for some to accept the change that is called progress.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

No one is "turning their back" in that sense... more like just moving on, technology does that. XP was a good thing but, debatably, not the best. XP is "the best" only if someone refuses to acknowledge how good Windows 8.1 is. Even good horses ultimately are turned out to pasture, if their owners let that happen (in this case more a dinosaur than horses). Hard for some to accept the change that is called progress.

Cheers,
Drew

View attachment 25923

As I stated in another post that I'm quite sure you read, but let me refresh your memory...

"Long story short, not to sound like someone "stuck in the past" but with XP I just open the folder with the songs in it and click "Play All". I don't see having to open the folder, unhide the ribbon (because it's gigantic on a small monitor), highlight everything, hold Ctrl and unselect the artwork, click play and then click "Play All" as ANY kind of an improvement. Anyone who says they think this is better is lying through their teeth. Windows gets worse with every incarnation.""

How can you call something like this progress? Don't dance around the question, just tell me how and why you think this is better.

Oh, and I like how newer and better versions of Windows can't remember the size and location of more than 1 folder. That's WAY better than an old and ugly POS that can remember, I don't know... hundreds. Tell me how that's better too, while you're at it.

Last edited:
Nothing I nor anyone else takes time to say will make any difference. Enjoy XP. Years ago, we all did.

Cheers,
Drew
290_Windows8_1.jpg

Nothing I nor anyone else takes time to say will make any difference. Enjoy XP. Years ago, we all did.

Cheers,
Drew

And by that you mean you can't think of a reason. If you could have, you would have. It must be awesome to be a blind follower of something and not know why.

And by that you mean you can't think of a reason. If you could have, you would have. It must be awesome to be a blind follower of something and not know why.

Actually, it is none of that but, you can & will decide whatever & that's ok; talking like you have enough info to know what is in my head, is not. I just don't find conversation w/ you pleasant, enjoyable or enticing, ergo was trying not to fuel it.

Cheers,
Drew

290_Windows8_1.jpg

Actually, it is none of that but, you can & will decide whatever & that's ok; talking like you have enough info to know what is in my head, is not. I just don't find conversation w/ you pleasant, enjoyable or enticing, ergo was trying not to fuel it.

Cheers,
Drew

It must be some of that, because you still haven't given me a reason. Instead you just load up on a bunch of double-speak. I've actually seen you do this a lot. You make some grand proclamation on how wonderful Windows H8 is (or whatever the current version of Windows it happens to be), but whenever someone tries to ask you about things that have been made significantly worse that the previous version you either ignore them or tell them they just don't like progress. Personally I find conversing with people like you quite enjoyable.

Hi

The main reason to run something later than XP would be that a modern computer exceeds the abilities of XP.

For instance I have 32 gigabytes of ram, I could have 64, I'm pretty sure that you can't have more than 16 in Windows XP 64 bit, and only 3 in 32 bit.

I have a video card that there are no Windows XP drivers for etc.

3D vision?

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP wouldn't know what to do with a 6 core processor, or for that matter a video card that has 4 gigabytes of video ram on it as opposed to 16 megabytes.

In fact I doubt that most of my software would run in Windows XP anymore, or most of my games.

It's just too out of date.

If you don't run high performance 3D applications etc, then you could probably live with XP but not on a state to the art computer.

Mike

Hi

The main reason to run something later than XP would be that a modern computer exceeds the abilities of XP.

For instance I have 32 gigabytes of ram, I could have 64, I'm pretty sure that you can't have more than 16 in Windows XP 64 bit, and only 3 in 32 bit.

I have a video card that there are no Windows XP drivers for etc.

3D vision?

I'm pretty sure that Windows XP wouldn't know what to do with a 6 core processor, or for that matter a video card that has 4 gigabytes of video ram on it as opposed to 16 megabytes.

In fact I doubt that most of my software would run in Windows XP anymore, or most of my games.

It's just too out of date.

If you don't run high performance 3D applications etc, then you could probably live with XP but not on a state to the art computer.

Mike

You are, I'm sure, the exception to the rule. I'd be willing to bet that most people are like me. My computer is pretty standard.
3.4 GHz i5 quad (OC'd to 4.2)
4GB 1333 Mhz ram (OC'd to 1600, 3.25 usable)
2 HDD's, 500GB & 1TB
nvidia geforce gt 430 (ASUS ENGT430 1GB ram, fanless) I'm not a gamer.

I don't need to have the very latest and greatest. I just don't require it.

"I have not, previously, heard of this or ever seen such behavior or activity in my own machine nor any of my customers' machines. So, aside from knowing what Auto Maitenance is, I, still, am missing what is being slammed here. .

Cheers,
Drew"

Ditto.

Back