Windows 8 Fk Windows "Automatic Maintenance"

"just open the folder with the songs in it and click "Play All". I don't see having to open the folder, unhide the ribbon (because it's gigantic on a small monitor), highlight everything, hold Ctrl and unselect the artwork, click play and then click "Play All" as ANY kind of an improvement. Anyone who says they think this is better is lying through their teeth. "

Well, here I go - lying through my teeth. I have my ribbon minimised, so that is not a problem for me. But it is, in my case, irrelevant.
I have taken the trouble to customise my media player (Microsoft's, as it happens, but it can be done with most media players).
In it, I have folders for my music, be it classic - pop - etc.. I just open the media player, select the folder I want to listen to, and it plays all.

As far as your response to Mike's post is concerned, It is not my field, but Mike could well be the exception to the rule. He is deeply into graphics, and could possibly be, sometimes, in need of a bit of extra ram.
P.S. However, the thread appears to have escaped from it's title, and is developing into an argument on relevant attributes of two OSs. Perhaps time to close?

Last edited:
Well, here I go - lying through my teeth.

Wait... are you saying that you think the new 6 step Play All is better than the single click in XP? It sure sounds like you're saying that.

My music is in no way associated with WMP. It didn't rip it, it doesn't play it, it doesn't monitor it. I use Foobar, and I could just go into my Foobar library and play something that way, and I usually do... but sometimes, when I want something specific, it's easier to just open my music hard drive (it has it's own shortcut in the quick launch) and find it that way. (maybe it's easier because XP is capable of grouping by individual letters, and not that worthless A-H crap.)

Mike, without a doubt, IS an exception to the rule. How can you even think to question that?

The only reason this thread has gotten off track is because when people make some ridiculous claim like "If you don't like Windows H8, you're just anti progress" and I question that, they can never come up with a good reason why. If I point out things that keep getting worse and worse and ask they why they like it better they either ignore me (which means they don't) or they throw up some BS about faster boot times or something... but you'll notice they never have a reason.

Last edited:
6 step? One step to open media Player. I then select what I wish to listen to. This would be one more step. Lets compromise with three steps to the music I want.

Not sure what where you re gping with the A-H crap. You obviously are rather focussed on your own method of using your programs, so it would be difficult to convince you that there are possibly more advancements in the technology.

This is NOT sarcasm. I would suggest, with your outward aggressiveness to Windows 8, and liking for XP, that you could be a more useful member with help on the XP forum?

6 step? One step to open media Player. I then select what I wish to listen to. This would be one more step. Lets compromise with three steps to the music I want.

Not sure what where you re gping with the A-H crap. You obviously are rather focussed on your own method of using your programs, so it would be difficult to convince you that there are possibly more advancements in the technology.

This is NOT sarcasm. I would suggest, with your outward aggressiveness to Windows 8, and liking for XP, that you could be a more useful member with help on the XP forum?

You read this, right? "I use Foobar, and I could just go into my Foobar library and play something that way, and I usually do... but sometimes, when I want something specific, it's easier to just open my music hard drive (it has it's own shortcut in the quick launch) and find it that way. (maybe it's easier because XP is capable of grouping by individual letters, and not that worthless A-H crap.)" That makes your first line a waste of both our time.

Six Steps. 1. open the folder 2. unhide the ribbon (because it's gigantic on a small monitor) 3. highlight everything 4. hold Ctrl and unselect the artwork 5. click play 6. and then click "Play All"

Go into a folder with a bunch of items. Sort by Name, show in Groups. That's the A-H crap The "advancements in technology" have done nothing but make things harder and slower to do. With Windows H8, so what if it boots 1.4 seconds faster?

Remember, all I asked is how and why Drew thought something was better. While he did a mighty impressive jig around the question, he never did answer it.

Deja Vu anyone?...

My, my what an old and twisted road this has become.. I find it incredulous that people are still arguing about this crap... Still!

Meanwhile the world turns, people go about their business and life goes on.. For some at least.

I agree, Kemmy. Got caught up in it. I am resisting temptation and dropping out of the thread. Obviously "sirloyne" has a much different Windows 8 set up to mine. I, honestly, do not understand the references to A-H crap and unhiding the ribbon??

, honestly, do not understand the references to A-H crap and unhiding the ribbon??

I told you EXACTLY what to do to see what I meant by that Sorry if I made it too hard, and yes... the ribbon in the explorer can be hidden. You don't seem to know Windows H8 very well.

Here you said "Well, here I go - lying through my teeth. I have my ribbon minimised, so that is not a problem for me." So you know it can be hidden. Are just pretending to be stupid?

Last edited:
Hi

I'm not sure I get what the ribbon issue is?

There's a little arrow symbol if in the upper right, you click on it, it minimises the toolbar and it stays that way unless you click it again.
You can leave it that way and Windows Explorer will open with the tool bar minimised.

I leave mine that way all the time.
If you click the View button it opens until you make a selection and then closes again.

If I want to play music from a folder on my data drive (that's where my music files are stored) I just double click on the file, or if I want to play the whole list, I batch select them holding the Shift Key and then right click and select play.

I just don't see what's so hard about that.

I use Winamp, I have since the days of Windows 95 but I could use Media Player if I wanted to.

Besides I am in addition to being into graphic applications a "Gamer" so are a lot of my friends.
My friend Paul is 77 and he has a Falcon NW computer with specs much like mine.

No one is saying that you can't use Windows XP if you want to, but it wouldn't be practical or possible for a lot of people.
Personally I think I could have stopped at Windows 7 but there are still performance advantages to Windows 8.

So I use Classic Shell and run it like it's Windows 7, it's free, simple to use, completely trouble free, and customisable.
You can even make your computer look like Windows XP and have the best of both worlds.

I'm not defending the Metro interface, I don't like it, so I don't use it, but the point is that unlike Apple, with Windows you can do pretty much anything you want with the OS.

As I said before I don't see the automatic updates thing, I set it to download updates and let me decide when and what I want to install and that's what it does.

Other than a notice in the taskbar that updates are available it leaves me alone.

Mike

Sorry. I posted in a fit of rage... Somtimes it's just too much for me to bear, and I can not take it. Let me re-state myself:

I looked into it very thoroughly. I have set the task schedualer to stop this nonsense while I'm using it, but I can't completely turn it off because the OS wont let me.

Execution conditions:

- Runs in the background
- No Notice
- No warning
- No prompt
- Can't be stopped by conventional means, not even through Task manager of administrative command prompt.
- Can't be stopped by a program that terminates all of it's processes constantly.
- Appears to be programmed to run when the user is "away"
- Runs when the computer is asleep, though s=does not wake the computer (BS if you ask me: computer can't be asleep)

Actions Performed:

- The most recent bout I had with it was when it was attempting to install a driver that I already had installed up to date ("Installing drivers", excuses are like asses, my father used to tell me)

- Does other things that can not be determined, as there is no interface to speak of

- Hinders performance

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

All of these things add up to make me believe it is very suspicious. Nothing on AV scans, nothing on Antispyware scans, nothing changes after a
Code:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
, so I can only suspect that microsoft is doing somthing they don't want me knowing about. I'm very particular about the state of my computer, and absolutly despise this!

In any case, was wondering if anyone else wanted to work with me to purge this "feature" from the system.

The tell-tale sign of the feature is the icon:
upload_2013-12-12_8-16-4.png

It will change to one with
a clock beside it when the "mainenance" is running.

To lighten the mood though...

exploits_of_a_mom.png

Thanks for your time!

Back