Windows 7 Flash Drive "You don't currently have permission to access this folder"

I thought I'd post a response even though this thread is getting old. I had this error message using a usb flash/thumb drive in my HP Elitebook. It turns out to be a HP security issue. I had to authenticate that I was the authorised person on this laptop to allow the drive to access the usb. An icon in the lower rh corner popped up prompting me to authenticate and it guided me through the authorisation process (it was quick). A message then came up saying I only had 15 minutes to access the drive data before it would shut down access again! Lol so I saved the document I needed on to my desktop to work on. Bloody annoying but that's security right? I hope this helps someone.

JaneStream YOU ARE AWESOME!!! I have had this problem for over one year. The Program is HP Client Security. It will prompt for your WINDOWS PASSWORD, Select DEVICE PERMISSIONS, Select CHANGE and where it shows "Removable Storage", change it to ALLOW - FULL ACCESS.

IT WORKS!!!!!

I was going to take it to Best Buy and probably pay them $100 because I was so frustrated with this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I thought I'd post a response even though this thread is getting old. I had this error message using a usb flash/thumb drive in my HP Elitebook. It turns out to be a HP security issue. I had to authenticate that I was the authorised person on this laptop to allow the drive to access the usb. An icon in the lower rh corner popped up prompting me to authenticate and it guided me through the authorisation process (it was quick). A message then came up saying I only had 15 minutes to access the drive data before it would shut down access again! Lol so I saved the document I needed on to my desktop to work on. Bloody annoying but that's security right? I hope this helps someone.
I had the same problem. After I read your comment I fixed the problem. Thanks. It was HP security setting error not Windows.

You helped me a lot, you pointed me the right direction.
I have a HP ProBook 450 G5 and I tried several USB flash Drives and I could not open any of them because the system was saying "you do not have rights to open this etc" ....
The issue indeed comes from HP Client Security and the thing is that the logic is very clever - it is supposed to prevent people from stealing info from your computer with an usb drive - which is good, but not being aware of this security feature brings many painful minutes of trying to figure what is going on .. :)
So to solve this - you go to HP Client Security --> Device Permissions --> Tab Drive Settings --> and there if you want you can turn off this feature permanently, entirely or only for a given partition/drive .
Hope this helps
1522877653217.png

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me solve my problem, and I'm SO thankful that I want to share the solution. I, too, was getting the message "You do not currently have permission to access this folder" when accessing my flash drive on any/all USB ports on my computer. I'm running Windows 7.

What worked for me was to open "HP Client Security," go to "Device Permissions," then click on "Removable Storage (ex. USB drives)." I changed that setting from "Allow - JITA Required" to "Allow Full Access." (JITA stands for Just In Time Access).

Back