Windows 10 "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" (USB drive)

From the Command Prompt will NOT let me access.

Not a big fan of messing with the registry but I will at this point. The article informs of DENYs" in registry. If I find one or more, what is the recommendation? To delete any occurrence of it/them?

ok - I checked the registry. In the path,
Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
there is NO folder called "RemovableStorageDevices"
IO presume that is not a symptom. See attached doc

Attachments

• Error 9c.PNG
    Error 9c.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 392
If they don't exist that's fine.

Download procmon Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals

Launch it and create the following filter, replacing the path with your drive letter. Top item is 'Process Name'
filter.PNG

Apply then OK
Try and open the usb drive
Click on procmon so it has focus the press ctrl+e to stop the capture
Then click File > Save...
The defaults should be fine
Zip and upload the PML file.
saveas.PNG

Some very cool stuff. Man, I'm gonna buy you a beer for all the work ..
Anyway .. Results attached (zipfile <1Mb. Unzips to 4.7Mb. Also see .png file attached.

Attachments

• Error 9d.PNG
    Error 9d.PNG
    189.5 KB · Views: 422
  • Logfil1227a.zip
    801.7 KB · Views: 218
I would try disabling that HP Protect Security manager for one if you don't use it to authenticate your login the other item, in that log if you double click an entry that has a result of ACCESS DENIED you should see a thread ID. Then with that ID use Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals and find explorer and double-click it and go to the thread tab and see what that thread is calling.

You finally stumped me. I don't see "HP Protect Security manager" in the log at all. I am getting in over my head for these internal fixes.

Furthermore, if I double click any of the log entries, I see 3 columns called EVENT, PROCESS, STACK:

EVENT shows the actual event

PROCESS (in some cases) references up to 200 modules (case in point
(1:07:07.2314954 PM Explorer.EXE 3420 CreateFile F:\autorun.inf ACCESS DENIED Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a)

STACK just shows the process stack hex addresses for routines run.

I very much appreciate your help - this is almost to the point of your needing to charge to fix this. I certainly would.
I am to the point of just going back to a Restore Point 10 days ago.

It's being loaded by explorer.

If you open the first access denied it says Thread: 13112
You then need to open procexp, download from the link, run it, double click explorer in procexp and look at the thread tab and find that thread ID (TID) and see what command is running

Hi again.

Well this is over my head, but I am watching to see how you fix this.
I'm afraid at times like this, I just restore to my last working System Image, that's why I make a new one every month. LOL

I don't want to strain the brain, at my age I don't have that many working cells left!

Mike

Yeah Mike that's often a better solution. It's certainly possible something got corrupted, altered by malware or other anomaly causing this and we may not get to the root cause.

What "THREAD TAB" are you talking about? I can follow along for the most part and I get your logic, but if you are using analogies or slang, I'm lost.. I hate giving up.. See attached.. and *THANKS*

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    147 KB · Views: 267
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    117.4 KB · Views: 369
-- Wits End! I've tried to rename the drive from File Explorer : Tells me I need to "Provide Admin Permission". Then when I click to provide, it tells me I "don't have sufficient rights".
-- On a format, the error says "You don't have sufficient rights".
-- Windows Defender WILL scan it, fyi...
-- I have 2 thumb drive controllers for wireless keyboard and mouse. They both work fine in any port. Just cannot access data from any flash drives.

What the hell happened to read/write permissions ?? We've been through everything minus one, obviously.

I hate the thought of going back to reloading the OS from scratch.
Just musing on the situation.

You guys have been great in helping and I thank you. Tried contacting MS and that's a PITA to get help.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..... Never been so screwed on a new laptop before.

Happy New Year folks.

Hi once again.

You said that you have a restore point from a 10 days ago, have you tried that?
A Restore Point may reset the preferences to what they were then, if the flash drives worked at that time, they may start working again.
It doesn't take that long to do a restore, certainly a lot less than reinstalling.

Once everything is working make sure to do the System Image, so that you won't have to deal with a problem like this in the future.

It's free!!!

Free Download Data Backup Software - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Mike

Back
Top Bottom