Windows 7 folder icon on the taskbar disappears

greendesert

I guess I have a long way to go to get used to win 7 !

Whenever I open any folder, the folder icon on the taskbar disappears ? And if I need to open another folder within my folder, I need to go thru all programs - documents - my documents - finally to the folder I wanted.

is there any way around it ?

I know exactly what your talking about! I have a firefox icon on the taskbar and when I click it the icon turns into a tab for the firefox window that opens. This shouldn't happen.

What should happen is: the icon remains on the taskbar to the left of the tab thats opened when the icon has been clicked! So I could open another firefox window if I wanted.

And like greendesert says, you cant open more than one folder with the folder icon(s) that are on the taskbar. Again, the folder icon turns into the folder!

Fix needed. :cool:

It does take some getting used to.
Take your firefox icon on your taskbar (presumed pinned), if you have firefox open and you click, hold and drag up slightly and let go you should see any number of options you can perform including opening another instances of FireFox. Likewise the libraries folder on the taskbar you should see a list of recently opened folders as well as an option to open Windows Explorer (Your libraries folder) as many instances as you wish.
The click and drag up function is I guess considered a feature, but as you have already noted, some of these can take some getting used to.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forums.
Regards
Randy

Thanks for reply, I suppose it's something i'll have to get used to, or go back to XP.
I also don't like the 'search programs and files' function on the start menu. I want to be able to right click on any folder and search that folder. :confused:

Also in XP if you were to accidently click 'shut down' you would get the option to cancel the command. Guess what, I accidently clicked shut down on the computer earlier... and it shut down! I really could have done without it doing that. :mad:

I'm now wondering if there exists an XP Pro mod for windows 7. I'm going to search for one. In the meantime does anyone know of such a thing? Or can the people who created Windows 7 redesign it please, make it more 'XP like'.

Regards

Syex

Hi

Try installing

Classic Shell

Classic Shell | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

It makes the Windows 7 interface work more like XP without giving up any of the perks.
Especially opening all your software folders in multiple columns instead of having to scroll through them all.

And you can switch back and forth with a click.

It also improves the way Windows Explorer works.

You might also like Rocket Dock, I put programs and folders that I access all the time there.
Get anyplace with a click.

RocketDock

RocketDock - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I use both of these programs all the time, keep my desktop nice and neat.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, u r a star! The classic shell solves the shut down problem and puts the cut copy and paste back on the menu bar! Superb! :) I'm not sure about the rocketdock though, it has some bad reviews, however, may give it a whirl at some point.

Thanks again for the links.

Syex

Hi

I haven't had any problems with rocket dock and it gives me another task bar so I don't have stuff spread all over my desktop.

Mike

Desktop.JPG

I've had a look at a youtube video on Rocketdock, It does seem kind of cool.. Go on i'll try it! ;)
I downloaded it from here though: Download RocketDock - RocketDock.com as the cnet site wanted me to download their own installer or something.

Syex

Back
Top Bottom