Forced restart at 2:55

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by UKAspie, Feb 7, 2016.

1. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

This is a variant of "Windows 10 won't stay in Hibernation". I've unchecked any tasks with "Wake the computer to perform this task" and in any case there is nothing scheduled for 02:55 and 14:55. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Neemobeer

Neemobeer Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member

Have you checked in BIOS as well to see if you don't have any scheduled wake timers?

3. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

I have now checked the BIOS and RTC wake-up is disabled. I check the event log when this happens but it just says "Wake Source: Unknown". It says that when I wake the system from the keyboard so perhaps the logging doesn't do anything.

4. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

The Command Prompt line:
    powercfg -waketimers
    shows "Media Center" as being the culprit.
    The Task Scheduler GUI shows "Media Center" does *not* have "Wake the computer to run this task" selected so I can't deselect it.

I have also checked the "Power Options" Advanced Settings and "Allow Wake Timers" was already disabled.

I've used "Programs and Features" to disable Media Center but the wake-up is still there.

I'm prepared to go to "regedit" next if necessary, but waiting in case there are more comments first.

5. Neemobeer

Staff Member

You might be able to see what woke up the system with powercfg /lastwake and also see if you have any wake armed devices with powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

6. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

It was Windows Media Center. I had already unticked the "Wake the computer to perform this task" option, but I have now disabled all instances of "mcupdate". I hope I've nailed it this time.

7. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

Just for my understanding, as I understood it well, MS had withdrawn Windows Media Center from W10, but you were able to load and run it?

8. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

I think it offered to activate when I inserted a DVD. Now it appears as a Windows component and can't be removed. Hopefully disabling mcupdate will prevent the unwelcome restarts.

9. bochane

bochane Honorable Member

It is withdrawn from W10 and unsupported, that worries me. Try disabling that Windows component.

10. Neemobeer

Staff Member

You may also want to check for scheduled tasks. They can be configured to wake the computer as well. I just tested this, but you can actually see scheduled task wake timers from powercfg.

powercfg /waketimers

11. UKAspie

UKAspie Honorable Member

It was powercfg that showed me the Media Center timer - which was already disabled in the GUI but still operating.
    It is interesting that the GUI will report a task as disabled and powercfg will report it correctly.
    I did remove it from Windows Components, but that didn't remove the scheduled tasks. I disabled them individually in Task Scheduler.