Windows 7 Format floppy drive

dryfire

W7, 32 bit. When I attempt to format a floppy, I get "Windows Explorer has stopped working" screen and reverts to the desktop. What is the connection between formatting and IE. This happens even though IE 8 is not running.

Jim

Windows Explorer is not IE.

Do you have the floppy drive enabled in the bios?

W7, 32 bit. When I attempt to format a floppy, I get "Windows Explorer has stopped working" screen and reverts to the desktop. What is the connection between formatting and IE. This happens even though IE 8 is not running.

Jim

I have to use floppys to install my RAID drivers and have noticed that if the setting I've got arrowed in the screenshot doesn't say 'Default allocation size' then it leads to the problems you describe..

Oh and when it says explorer has stopped working it doesn't mean IE but 'Windows Explorer' which is what you use to navigate around your pc..

Floppy Drive Format

I suffer fromthe same type of issue that you are currently experiencing. I have tried reloading the controller and the drive.

Still no resolve.

A little explanation

For those who are confused by too many "Explorers" in Windows, here is a bit of an explanation (with a little sarcasm thrown in). Once upon a time, we had Internet Explorer and Program Manager - very appropriate and descriptive names. The powers that be at Microsoft thought that was too descriptive of the functions of each feature. To correct this clarity, the ones with the largest vocabularies (at Microsoft) decided to rename Program Manager to Windows Explorer. For several years now, we have had this confusion between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer (as evidenced by this thread). Now, with the introduction of Windows 7, the vocabulary police have thrown yet another spectacular curve ball at us. We now have not only Internet Explorer Favorites (which was confusing enough because all the other browsers call them "Bookmarks"), but now we also have Windows Explorer Favorites. I shudder to think what new vocabulary confusion will be invented with Windows 8.

Floppy Drive Format

Does anyone have a solution to this? I have to maintain backward compatability for the 3.5 Floppy Drives. :confused:

check in your bios to make sure that your floppy drive is enabled and that the correct driver for it is installed.

Back