Windows 10 freeze during reboot

john92210

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. However, the system freezes every time I reboot. Windows freezes during the shutdown portion of the reboot. I have to press the power button and turn off the computer. I then have to press the power button again to start the computer.

Hi John!
this could be caused by a number of things but may I ask, after you upgraded to Windows 10 did you install any Windows 10 drivers for your machine?
Please post your system details including make and model. The more details you can include the better.

In case you haven't already check for malware: (it's free)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

In any case, just for starters please run these scans:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

As I recall, I did not install any Windows 10 drivers except those that might have come with the upgrade.

I ran system scan and it found corrupt files that it was unable to fix them. However, when I ran dism, I got the 0x800f081f error (source file could not be found).

Here are my system details
Desktop computer: PowerSpec, model B638 (from Microcenter)
8 GB DDR3
120 GB SSD (boot drive)
2 TB 7200 RPM hard disk
Intel Core i5 3450, 3.10 GHz
ESC motherboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Avast Anti virus

Hi John,
thanks for the specifications.

The first thing to try is uninstall Avast AV suite (you can re-install later). This app is known to cause the odd issue so please remove. Just use the on board Defender in it's place as it's very stable.

Desktop computer: PowerSpec, model B638 (from Microcenter)
PowerSpec System Specs

This is your motherboard:
ECS > H61H2-M3 (V1.0)

Intel® HD Graphics 2500: Windows 10 driver here:
Intel® HD Graphics 2500 for 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

Realtek Integrated Gigabit Ethernet RTL8111: W10 driver below:
Realtek

Check for malware
Free Anti-Malware & Internet Security Software

Try running the SFC scan agan but this time in safe mode.

Hi John,

If you try kemical's suggestions and still get no love, it could be your HDD. You mention you have a 120GB SSD drive. What Make/Model is it? We have only tested 3 brands that are known to work with W10 (Kingston, Crucial, and Intel). If your SSD is not one of those I mentioned, it could be a compatibility problem with your SSD drive.

Prior to running your W7-->W10 upgrade, did you remember to run the MICROSOFT COMPATIBILITY TEST? This isn't conclusive on the hardware side of things (such as the SSD incompatibility issue I mention), but it does do a good job with old Win7 hardware, drivers, and apps. If the COMPATIBILITY TEST Report shows any hardware, drivers, or apps that won't work with W10, they must be removed and your W10 reinstalled. I suggest you do this if you get to this point. You'll be able to reinstall with a "Clean Install" as if you had a legit Win7 license that came with your PC, your upgrade completed and now MS Activation Servers will have your product key; so a W10 Clean Install will work. You can go to MS site here and download the MCT tool to create a bootable media from which to run the "Clean Install" W10 as here:
Windows 10

The other thing that really trips DIY W10 upgraders is forgetting to unplug ANY AND ALL USB DEVICES AS WELL AS ANY CONNECTED INTERNAL SECONDARY STORAGE DRIVES!!o_O It's really important to do so for many reasons, including what kemical mentioned. If you had a printer with a misbehaving driver, or a 2nd internal HDD plugged into SATA port of your Motherboard, these can cause major problems with W10 if you performed the upgrade with those devices still plugged in when you were running the W7 and then ran the upgrade. If you did this, we generally recommend you first BACKUP ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA TO EXTERNAL MEDIA, IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE SO ALREADY!! Then unplug all USB drives, printers, webcams, cell phone chargers, etc. and any internally connected secondary storage (HDDs) and then run the W10 Clean Install with the MCT (Media Creation Tool) referenced in my link above. *DON'T SKIP THE COMPATIBILITY TEST STEP; AS IT WILL HELP IDENTIFY ANY INTERNAL W7 HARDWARE, APPS, DRIVERS THAT MIGHT MIS-PERFORM ONCE THE W10 UPDATE IS COMPLETE!!* A Clean W10 install often solves most problems. :up:

Let us know how it goes. If you've already solved your issue, please post back the result and your final solution to share with other Forum users.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back