Windows 7 frequent BSOD's when gaming

crespo

Hey I recently completed building my own computer. I finished back in May. Ever since I first started gaming on it I've been plagued by these intermittent but frequent BSOD's. If it matters or is useful at all, I mainly play Starcraft II and League of Legends @ 1650x1080. At first I thought it was my video card (GeForce GTS 250) so I completely removed the display drivers and installed the newest ones from Nvidia's site. That didn't work so I ran Memtest on my RAM for around four hours. I have 4 gigs of ddr3. Memtest gave me no errors on my RAM. I updated my bios/drivers for my MB. I updated both my keyboard and mouse drivers.

specs:
AMD Phenom X2 555
Geforce GTS 250
4 gigs DDR3 (tried increasing the volts on my RAM to 1.8, no difference in BSOD occurrences)
Asrock m3a770de mobo
Antec EarthWatts 380 (could the PS be the problem? not enough power?)
320gig Western Digital sata hdd
70gig IDE (I don't use it much at all, might it be causing some kind of conflict? I've been meaning to cut the power on it)

At this point I don't know what the problem is. Could my video card be defective? I did buy it new. I ran a program a bit like Memtest in that it tests your video memory. At least that's what it says it does, and gave me back no errors. The crash is usually labeled on the minidump files as in the ntoskrnl.exe. Everywhere I've researched has told me that that is usually a driver/software related problem and not hardware. Thing is, I have no idea how to analyze these .dmp files beyond finding out what file caused the crash.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 222
Hi Crespo,
I checked over your dump files and many point to RAM problems. When you ran memtest did you run the test on one stick at a time? If not then please do so. Also, I know you said that you raised the RAMs voltage but are you sure that other settings like timings are correct?

Use this calculator to see if your PSU is covering your needs:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Last edited:
The recommended wattage came out to only 293 for my specs and I know the EarthWatts is a quality PSU so hopefully that rules that out. As for timings, they were all set to auto, so I changed them to 9-9-9-24 per the back of the case my ram was packaged in. I'll play a while and see how things go.

Hi,

The geforce 250 according to nvidia requires a recommended psu of 475 Watts.

Back
Top Bottom