Windows 10 Frequent, Random BSODs

Corlen Belspar

Windows 10 was working fine until a few months ago when I started getting BSODs very frequently and at random. I get at least one every 24 hours and it's either "Unexpected store exception" or "Critical process died". It never creates a memory dump no matter what I've tried and I' already ran chkdsk, Windows Memory Diagnostic, unplugged various hardware, disabled fast boot up, uninstalled all Windows Updates I could possible uninstall, and many other things I can't recall off the top of my head. No problems found, still BSODs like crazy. I even had to reinstall Windows at one point because every time I tried to log in, I would instantly get a BSOD.

I have included the W7F reports as requested by the thread on how to ask for help with a BSOD.

Attachments

• W7F_11-09-2016.zip
    273.9 KB · Views: 537
Hi,
thank you for the reports as they were very useful particularly the dxdiag.

I'm pretty sure your actual machine is this one:
HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

When you first upgraded to Windows 10, did you check your system for compatibility using the tool provided?

The reason I ask is because you have no driver support. Drivers for your model stop at Windows 7 and HP has a support page regarding this matter:
HP Desktop PCs - Installing Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support
  • HP provides installation instructions, compatible software, and updated drivers for most computers sold after August 2013.
  • If you purchased your computer prior to August 2013, HP has not tested or developed drivers for your computer model. Some features might not work, or the installation might not be successful.
  • HP provides Windows 10 compatible software and updated drivers to support only specific computer models.

Personally I would try re-installing windows 7 and see if the issues continue. If they do we might at least get a dump file to find the culprit..

You could try running these scans and see if they help some:
File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Last edited:
Yeah I ran the compatibility tool for 10 before I installed it and it said it would be fine. For 6 months I couldn't get Windows Update to download it. Then suddenly one day the Get 10 EXE practically forced me to upgrade. My computer has a "factory setting" partition on the C drive, but I've never used this feature before. Could you possibly give me directions on getting started with it? Thank you for your help thus far.

Hi,
apparently if you press F11 whilst booting this can give you access to the recovery partition. See the third or fourth post in this thread:
How to restore from from factory image for my hp pavilion e... - HP Support Forum - 366123

I've also read though that your system doesn't carry a recovery partition. See this snip I took from your system spec:
recovery.JPG

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-210f Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

As you actually own the machine then you may know something different but obviously I hope I'm incorrect on this.. ;)

It actually does and I'm currently typing this from Windows 7. Seems to be working thus far. I got a BSOD, but it was because something conflicted with the installation to update my graphics card. I keep feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack when the audio stutters sometimes from CPU load because that usually happens 3-4 seconds before a BSOD. LOL

It actually does and I'm currently typing this from Windows 7. Seems to be working thus far. I got a BSOD, but it was because something conflicted with the installation to update my graphics card. I keep feelings like I'm about to have a heart attack when the audio stutters sometimes from CPU load because that usually happens 3-4 seconds before a BSOD. LOL
Wow! Good job! I'm so happy I was incorrect lol..

Just out of interest when you had the bsod did you see if a dump file was created?

I'm hoping things will start to work again now your back in the default os but if issues start to reappear post back.

It appears so. There's only one minidump in the folder for them, and its time stamp has to be around when it occurred. Thanks so much. I normally try to get things from the horse's mouth, like if my computer can run 10 via checking the manufacturer's website, but I guess I got a little bit careless because I assumed Microsoft's compatibility tool would be accurate.

Unfortunately your not the first person we've had in the forums due to this issue and I doubt you'll be the last.

Even if a machine appears compatible Microsoft should still check on driver support and if none is forthcoming at least advise the end user

Yeah, my friend was telling me he too had to go back to Windows 7 on his laptop. I don't think it's Microsoft's fault per se. It's not possible to accurately test all possible hardware, but they should make a notice that you should go check with your PC's manufacturer before going to 10, if you passed the hardware compatibility EXE's test.

Hi Corlen,
just wondered if all was still running as it should?

Back