Windows 10 Gaming problem when second monitor (TV) turns on.

Maphesta

Hi all,

I'm having an issue and nowhere on the internet I can find people exclaiming the same problem, so here I go:

My primary gaming monitor is connected through DVI (144hz). My secondary monitor is connected through HDMI (TV). The gaming monitor is great for gaming, of course, and the second one is great for watching movies. Everything works flawlessly except for one thing: When my girlfriend turns on the TV while I'm playing a game, Windows automatically detects the TV and starts duplicating my screen (even if my previous setup was "Only use primary monitor" or something), which results in my game going completely black. I have to ALT+TAB and select the game again to continue. It's not a big deal, because the game doesn't crash or anything, unless I'm playing a multiplayer game where this stuff could mean my death, which may even result in my team losing.

How can I stop my Windows 10 from automatically detecting the TV? I want Windows 10 to do absolutely nothing unless I tell it to.

Hi Maphesta and welcome to the forum :up:

Not being a Gaming guy, and others experienced with that may respond to your inquiry later, I've not experienced this myself. But, I do use my laptop to watch streaming content from the Internet (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.) via a HDMI out connection. There are some quirky problems I used to have with Vista & Win7 on that laptop; W10 actually improved those, but didn't eliminate them entirely. It's quite possible it's an inherent flaw in 1 or more of your hardware components (PC, 1st Monitor, or TV), and W10 is not causing the problem and therefore a W10 solution will not fix it.:(

It would be helpful if you can provide complete hardware specs on all the connected components involved in this problem. For example, Make/Model of each:
1.) Computer (desktop PC, laptop, or self-built rig)
2.) 1st Monitor
3.) TV

As for your computer or laptop, if you don't have complete hardware specs, you can go to piriform.com and download the free SPECCY diagnostic and run the program in W10 and post the output .txt file back here to this thread for us to examine. If you have a self-built PC (that's a desktop computer that you built from purchased parts yourself); or a custom-rig (a desktop PC made from custom parts you purchased but that a Tech or a Store assembled and you purchased pre-built), then we need the Complete Make/Model of the PSU (Power Supply) in that machine as well. If you built it yourself, this will be pretty easy to open the case and find the label with specs on the PSU itself. If you purchased the PC pre-built to your specs; you can pop the case cover and see if the label is visible and post the specs back here. If you can't see it, you may need to call the shop you bought it from and get that information from them. A good shop will have your records of that PC and can provide to your over the phone, via Email, Fax, etc. Otherwise, you can just take your PC into them and have them disassemble it to find that information which we need.

Post back as much of that information as you can get, and we will advise you further.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>:)

Everything works flawlessly except for one thing: When my girlfriend turns on the TV while I'm playing a game
:rofl:
Politely ask your girl friend not to turn on the TV while you're playing a game, especially if it could mean your death and your team losing.
That would be a work around for your issue!:D
Did this happen before you up graded to W10. Might be a bug in W10??

Hi

I have the same setup, my Asus monitor is on a DVI connection and my TV is on HDMI.
I've never had my computer show any indication that it knows when the TV is on or off.

I need to select the Computer input in the TV settings, and then set my computer in display settings, to duplicate or show the image on the TV to get anything to happen.

That's not a lot of help, but it does indicate that it's something more specific to your computer or settings.

Display%20Settings_zpsmmzmg3ou.jpg

This is how my settings look.

I've never figured out why my monitor always ends up being monitor number 2 but that's the way it always seems to come out.

Mike

That's kind of hard to see, but basically I just have it set to show on 2 only, when I'm not using the TV.

Last edited:
Back