Windows 10 'Get Windows 10' upgrade prompt to be phased out.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
According to recent article over at Winbeta.com, Microsoft, when asked, said the upgrade prompt will be disabled on the 29th July as well as the free upgrade to Win' 10.

“Details are still being finalized, but on July 29th the Get Windows 10 app that facilitates the easy upgrade to Windows 10 will be disabled and eventually removed from PCs worldwide. Just as it took time to ramp up and roll out the Get Windows 10 app, it will take time to ramp it down.”

If the offer get's extended then of course so could the upgrade prompt. We'll just have to wait and see.....

Hi @Sonny! I'm thinking all you have to do is create a image of your, OS W7- W8 with a 3rd party image program like Macrium Reflect.
Up grade to W10 with the Media Creation Tool (MCT)
Create another image of W10 with your image program
Roll back and forth between the two OSs when ever you want to! It works for me! Do you think that will work @Sonny

Hi holdum, sorry I didn't get back sooner been setting up my new printer and fax machine and working on a neighbors computer. I don't know why that wouldn't work. Sounds like it would to me. Never tried it.

Thanks for your reply fiend. I have rolled back once and then rolled up once with Macrium Reflect. Don't know how that will work after July 29, but don't see why it wouldn't work from now on; but we all know how MS likes those $$$. I really like W10, so probably won't be rolling back, but who knows!
Thanks @Sonny
PS Good luck helping neighbor with problems.

I have no plans to look back and go back to Win 7 myself I quite like Windows 10. Once you get the Windows 10 privacy tweaks a bit, and the general UI/Notifications tweaked you are good to go. I do wish Microsoft would being back true Windows Aero though instead of just transparency.

With regards to what WilliamB and holdum said, us Win10 fans also need to remember the new WUDO SETTINGS now too.o_O But, once you know about them and play with the settings a bit, you can figure out what's optimal for you and the bandwidth of your home network as many of us here have (*in spades!*).

For those of you that aren't aware of WUDO, I'll put a link here to explain it:
Windows 10 How To: Turn off Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO)

P.S. I wasn't aware of it until Windows Forum user pnamajck, Apr 29, 2016 posted it and we had discussion about it! Well worth the time to read! :nerdie:

BBJ :lightbulb::lightbulb:

Last edited:
Back