Windows 8 Getting rid of Windows 8.1 update message

I have Windows 8.0 and I do not want to upgrade to 8.1, but I keep getting this message coming up (sorry its upside down !). Can amyone help me get rid of this message please.

Message.jpg

Do you have a particular reason for not updating? Your system will become increasingly out of date and consequently vulnerable without updating

I did update to 8.1 and I found the laptop was so slow that it was unusable. So I reverted to 8.0 and it has been OK since then - apart from these messages that keep popping up.

How long has it been since you went back to windows 8?

If this were me, this is what I would do.
First, make sure I have the latest BIOS installed.
2nd. Then I would format and reinstall windows 8 and then immediately, I would update to windows 8.1, then check for MS updates to windows 8.1.
3rd. After all that, then I would re-install any software/apps that you had before.

With out knowing what kind of PC or laptop (make/model and hardware) you have it's hard to determine what could be causing the severe slow down you're describing when you upgraded to 8.1

To answer your main question;
This article explains how to disable the standard upgrade banner
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-update-to-windows-8-1-for-free-notification-in-windows-8-store/
I personally use METHOD 3 on my home and work systems… very reliable with the standard warning to make a backup of your registry before trying it.

Unfortunately I don’t think you currently have windows 8 but do in fact, have a partial install of the 8.1 upgrade already in the works

Example of the normal windows upgrade offer banner
Windows_81_Free_Preview_Download.png

Press the [windows key]+[pause]
Windows 8 example
Screenshot (247).png

Windows 8.1 example
Screenshot (67).png

Thanks USNorway. I have tried all 3 methods in the link you attached and unfortunately none of them worked. I think you are right in saying that I have a partial 8.1 upgrade. Is there any way I can reverse that and go back to 8.0 ?

Given the uncertain state of things I suspect that sooner or later you are likely to need to run a full recovery install - most of us have been down the road of trying to tweak things to save the time involved in a reinstall only to end up having to do one.

Third party software such as Acronis true image can roll your system back to an image you made earlier but I’m going to assume you don’t have that option so:
1. The upgrade makes its own roll back point and If the upgrade fails it should un-install itself but this backup point is disabled as the final step of the upgrade so in the event of success it can’t be removed again… I know that sounds like something a crack-head would design but that’s Microsoft for you.
2. Factory reset (3 times) after which windows 8 will be your system again… assuming it was the system that came with the laptop. Some companies use better software than others so for example Asus has very solid backup software because they market themselves towards business users whereas other companies that sell cheap laptops don’t put much effort into their backups and it’s a case of byer be ware with them.
3. Delete * the hdd and install a fresh windows 8 install from a disc or usb… if the laptop came with windows 8 installed at purchase then your key is stored on the motherboard bios and should be detected automatically during the install process.
4. Once you have window 8 back you need to tell it Not ** to auto sync files from the store or put up with windows 8.1 beings shoved down your gob by Microsoft.
* best practice is replace the old hdd with a new blank one as that avoids much of the need to transfer files around.
** to be clear, most people should take Microsoft up on the free upgrade but is NOT a compulsory upgrade and you can elect to keep 8… I personally have both 8 & 8.1 (dual boot) on my Asus laptop I use for work and they each have their good points.

Thanks again usnorway. The laptop did come with windows 8 installed at purchase. I was thinking perhaps I should allow Windows 8.1 to install and see how it goes. The laptop is Packard Bell EasyNote TE. Does anyone know of any reason why 8.1 should not work on this laptop.

Hi

I would let it complete the install, and go from there.
It may not perform the same way this time, (there may be a conflict with your security software of something like that) if it does still run slow, try and figure out why.

There is no real reason that it should run slower in Windows 8.1.
Windows 10 will be here soon, and you can get past all the Windows 8 issues and back to a real OS. LOL

Stopping it from completing the installation now is probably not a good idea anyway.

You can always roll it back again and then turn off automatic updates.
I never updated to Windows 8.1 after trying it, because of sound issues I had.

Mike

Back