Windows 7 Going from Windows 7 RC to Retail

Vertigo-1

Around June or July I built a new computer and decided to go with the Windows 7 64-bit RC after hearing really good things about it. I'm getting the retail full version of Windows 7 Pro for xmas and was wondering how to go about going from RC to Retail. Am I going to have to do a clean reinstall? (losing all my installed programs/settings/etc.)? Or is there a way I can just insert a serial key that comes with the retail copy and it will "activate" my RC to retail so to speak? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, because I (stupidly) didn't really think ahead when I decided to go with the RC and am worried that I screwed myself in having to totally redo my computer after finally getting things how I want them...

Personally I'd do a clean install. Upgrades have a habit of leaving junk behind that cause problems. I don't think you can do a simple upgrade from RC there is some method if you want to search for it.
Joe

Around June or July I built a new computer and decided to go with the Windows 7 64-bit RC after hearing really good things about it. I'm getting the retail full version of Windows 7 Pro for xmas and was wondering how to go about going from RC to Retail. Am I going to have to do a clean reinstall? (losing all my installed programs/settings/etc.)? Or is there a way I can just insert a serial key that comes with the retail copy and it will "activate" my RC to retail so to speak? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated, because I (stupidly) didn't really think ahead when I decided to go with the RC and am worried that I screwed myself in having to totally redo my computer after finally getting things how I want them...
I believe you are going to have to do a clean complete install because there are some items that may or may not be on on the retail version. Remember the RC1 was just a beta.

Ugh I was afraid of that. I should have done my homework before making assumptions.

Edit: Back when I installed W7 RC after building my computer I bought a Norton Antivirus subscription (1 PC limit) online. If I switch to the retail W7 I'm guessing that will totally waste my Norton subscription? Or will the activation key I have under my Norton account let me "reactivate" it?

Last edited:
You should be able to reactivate it. I think Norton is junk and got disgusted and dumped it on my Vista before it expired. I use Avast free antivirus and Comodo firewall .
Joe

I use the Microsoft zzsecurity essintilas for my AV it is also free, I also use Spyware Blaster, Super Anti Spyware, and Maleware Bytes

Back
Top Bottom