Windows 7 Going to UPgrade from W7x64 bit to W7x32 bit - that IS what I am saying.

DrWattsOn

I don't want 64bit, and I don't want Home Prem. That is what is on the computer I purchased. It is the extremely tiny Acer 3610, I need help from those who know what that is (please, take just a second to eyeball it). It runs Atom 330 +Nvidia ION, and comes with 2GB ram. I think it is ridiculous to put a 64bit OS on this machine.

So, I HAVE purchased W7 Prof. Upgrade (RETAIL), and I also have XP Pro OEM both from Fry's. I will also be playing with various Linuxes, esp Sabayon and Mint, on triple boot, later.

So, I think I know: XP then W7 then Linux. I intend to prepartition the disk accordingly, with Linux Home & swap, and NTFS Documents, on logical partitions.
I guess I will be eating the cost of the installed W7x64, as well as the Acer paper-only warranty (they are absentee landlords, nearly as I can tell).

Could someone please give me some comments and suggestions, and an explanation of this weird :confused: 100 MEGA-Byte! partition between the first partition (recovery) and the active bootable third partition ("C:")? Help? Links to reading material is also welcomed. Anyone, please?

Last edited:
Did you get or can you make a Win 7 x64 install DVD from your system? If so, I would do that first, or get Acer to send you one, just in case.

You appear to have the install sequence for your Windows installs correct, and you will not get the 100 mb partition if you do it that way.

Using a new hard drive and leaving the original install alone would allow your warranty to stay intact by going back to the original drive, I believe.

The 100 mb partition is something Win 7 uses to allow for a repair boot outside the normal OS. It is also used for bitlocker.

If your system is set up to use AHCI for the drive controller, XP may blue screen on you during the install. You can add the drivers during the install if you slipstream them or have a floppy drive.

I am not familiar with OEM install process.

Hello Saltgrass, Thanks for replying.
The shipping box had no cd/dvd. Acer seems to never respond to requests for support, though at least they provide the chipset, etc., drivers on their site. The computer comes with a sticker on the side (official Ms, Prod. Key, and all that). But it isn't the Pro version, so as I understand, can't virtualize XP. I forgot (thanks for reminding) to mention about XP not installable to SATA without slipstream or added drivers. Haven't located them yet. I was thinkng about VirtualBox on W7x32Pro, to install XP into.
I think also I will take your idea, keep the 160GB Hitachi as spare, and fresh-start with WD 320GB 7200RPM. I was worried a little about heat but ran one as eSATA through an Ammeter... it will not be a problem. Just reticent to open the tiny tiny Acer package...
it's really, well, TINY!
Thank you for the info on the 100MB partn. I tried looking at it with pmagic live, and want to try a hexreader to see contents. I am going to also see if my copy of Gibson's SpinRite has a utility for that.
The XPProSP3 OEM purchase gets some kind of restriction on not being elligible for RE-validation if RE-installed on a new motherboard. That's what I read, don't know the details (yet; will be trying that too). Install process is standard. Don't care for the morals of EULAs either. Like Honda telling me which streets I may use to get downtown!
Anyway, it will be a couple of days before I start the rip and tear on the computer. I will as a courtesy come back after I get results documented in a logical and concise manner.
Grateful for your help and comments.
DrWattsOn

Addendum to my own thread... H E L P ??

This is going to take some time. This little 8"x8"x 1.3" box is tighter than ... Well,
I simply cannot get the thing open. I have broken a couple of minor clips, but it still holds together securely. I am pretty savvy when it comes to figuring out how to disassemble most things, and 50 years as an Electronics Tech in almost every use of electronics and design, seems to be of no use with this thing.

At this point, I am ready to simply break the case open, and try to tape it back together.

I'd rather try to avoid that, so... if anyone knows anyone, who might have even heard of a way to get it apart without damaging the case or worse, the internals. HELLLLPPP!
DrWattsOn

UPDATING my thread: proceeded with disassembly

I don't know if it means I'm extremely foolhardy, or have b...s of steel, probably a lot of both, but I proceeded to disassemble the R3610 with the following results:
9:29 PM 4/16/2010
taking apart Acer Aspire R3610 Desktop
1: Remove the screw where the base-stand slides in.

IMPORTANT about the next step (2): NOT the black portion: just past the edge onto the white portion. Very tiny, sometimes invisible separation that curves around the audio jacks.

2: Remove the side opposite the power switch: two tabs to push to the
left and right of that screw about 1/2 inch past the stand slot. Work
towards the edge with the audio jacks, tabs at the end of the radius of
the first corner, another about 1/2 inch past the audio jacks, another
just past the spdif jack. Use thin shims of some kind to maintain the
separation of the cover. Keep going. A tiny bit of separation a little
at a time. The clips and tabs can break.

3: Remove the power-switch/usb assembly board.

4: Remove 3 fan screws (2 at the corners, one on the back radius). I think
you should not remove the heat sink, as it is against the proc.

5: There are four plainly visible mobo mount screws. There must be more;
the board is still firmly in place.

* Note: The hdd seems to be mounted by screws from the bottom of the mobo,
which then would have to come out to remove the hdd.

6: At this point the RAM is accessible, 2 sticks, 1GB each, notebook type
GDDR2-800 1GB 128MX8 1.8V EP
GU331G0ALEPR612C6F1
||||| bar code |||||
*0904144*50 (?=datecode April 2009 ?)
On side facing up, s/n's differ:
"KN1GB0H0140060012F2700" and
"KN1GB0H014006001302700"
---begin edit
The HDD is a Hitachi Model No. HTS543216L9A400
P/N 0A57363 160GB 5400RPM 5VDC @ 700mA**
Cyl =16383, Heads=16, Sec/T=63
** (versus 5VDC @ 550mA for the 320GB 7200RPM WD drive)
---end edit
I just can't seem to get the mobo loose to access the hdd. Still seeking help advice criticism, some response to this my foolish adventure. It's so lonely out here on the Fringes of my madness!
DrWattsOn

Last edited:
Hi Dr WattsOn,
why not try posting in a dedicated Acer forum? At least there you'll have a better chance of finding a solution to your problem..?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Thanks to kemical, now back on topic here

Hi Dr WattsOn,
why not try posting in a dedicated Acer forum? At least there you'll have a better chance of finding a solution to your problem..?

Link Removed due to 404 Error
HEY, kemical man!
Yes! Thank you, the AcerOne is not the forum for me, but they linked to
Link Removed - Invalid URL, which IS the computer I have, though my exact model
isn't in there yet. Until now, anyway.
For the hardware issues, I will be posting there, and for the "UP-grade from 64bit to 32bit Windows 7, I will be back. More sooner than later, now that you showed me the link and got me where I need to be for now. 8^D:razz:
So, regarding the change to 32 from 64bit, does someone have their own
or know Microsoft's take :confused:, on any use to me, of the validated 64bit OS Sticker on the
side of my Acer Revo's case? I already ate the hardware warranty, fine, but
do I lose the value of the 64bit validation too? I will be replacing the hdd (intact
with its original OS, "crapware", and partitioning but don't know what good even
that is to me now. Maybe I should just do a Linux "dd" scrub and rewrite the drive?
Thanks again kemical!!
DrWattsOn

Hey! Glad to hear the last post was of some use.. :) Now correct me if I'm wrong but what I think your asking is will your activation key work for 64bit even though you first installed the 32bit os. The short answer is yes (as long as it's the 64bit disk that came in the retail package).

Hi kemical, yes, correction

Hey! Glad to hear the last post was of some use.. :) Now correct me if I'm wrong but what I think your asking is will your activation key work for 64bit even though you first installed the 32bit os. The short answer is yes (as long as it's the 64bit disk that came in the retail package).
Hi kemical, yes correction is in order. Notice my thread title: UP grade from 64 to 32.
And major gripe: they put 64 on a 2GB machine! Because they save money. Because
Ms sells them the bulk 64bit oem os's for MUCH less than the 32 bit bulk-sale. Because
Ms wants to force 64bit adoption in face of much resistance. Most of my software is
32bit. So the Sticker is for the 64bit installed by Acer. I happen to have purchased (for another computer I am building), RETAIL Win 7 PRO 32bit though it also says "Upgrade designed for Vista",:( so I may be done in there too. But, I really want by any means necessary but preferably legal, validated 32 bit to replace the current Acer instlall 64,
using the 5x5 s/n of the 64bit sticker. I haven't found answers yet on Ms site.
DrWattsOn

Gotcha.. To invalidate an OEM installation then replacing the motherboard usually does it although I'm not too sure about HDDs.

almost done with the hardware part

Gotcha.. To invalidate an OEM installation then replacing the motherboard usually does it although I'm not too sure about HDDs.
OK, kemical, I've gone and done it now! Legally the Acer warranty is void. The HDD is replaced with a WD 320GB 7200rpm which, as stated earlier, draws LESS power at 550mA, than the Hitachi 160GB 5400rpm at 700mA. This WD HDD is blank fresh out of box. Will go to Fry's now and get 1 (or 2, if I can afford it) sticks of 2GB 800MHz DDR2 etc. Although, if I recall, "we will never be able to use more than 640KB of ram". Ha ha.
After the ram, it will be software time. I think I have no hope of saving the usefulness of the 64bit "sticker" License validation by applying it to a fresh 32bit install. Though, Ms may sell me a new license, and I may buy if not too much $$$.
I'll be back next week with software venture. Any posts meanwhile are welcome.
Have a good day, kemical.
DrWattsOn clear for now

Thanks for updating.. The only thing I can think of suggesting is when you go to activate windows, do it through the phone activation method.
Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.

Couple of points to consider

DrWattsOn, I have briefly read through your exchanges with kemical and others in this thread. A couple of points come to mind regarding a couple of statements made.

With regard to why a company would install a 64 bit operating system on a computer with 2 GB ram. Perhaps it is strictly a sales gimmick. You only have to scan through these forums or read technical articles to realize that 64 bit is the biggest buzzword in recent memory. Only a small percentage of those who install 64 bit systems NEED 64 bit or even use software that can utilize the difference between 32 and 64 bit.........but 64 bit is the buzzword, so everybody gotta have 64 bit. Neither Microsoft nor computer manufacturers are driving this trend, they are simply responding to the market - to what sells their product whether it actually improves the product or not. 64 bit sells the product whether it makes the product any more serviceable or not so the product is marketed with 64 bit.

You are speaking of buying two boxed Microsoft operating systems: XP Pro and 7 Pro. If I am understanding you correctly on that, would you not be money ahead with a TechNet Plus subscription? Just "keep your ear to the ground" and catch an introductory special for a $80 or $100 discount and you can buy the subscription cheaper than you can buy the two OSs that I have mentioned above. You get access to considerable additional Microsoft software for no additional money that way. (Office 2010 is, or soon will be, RTM and GA soon after.)

Just a couple of points for you to ponder as you proceed with your project. Good luck.

Thanks John3347, have mind, will ponder!

... TechNet membership is indeed a viable option. The 2 boxed sets are long done purchases, WinXP ProSP3 OEM FULL about 18 months ago, still unopened, and W7Pro 32bit RETAIL about 6 weeks ago. My biggest problem is the "Toits", I have a great deal of trouble getting them (the round ones, specifically), so I start a project but never get a round to it. (I really crack me up sometimes... No accounting for 3AM thought processes).

But at least, I did keep on top of the new AcerRevo R3610 this is all about, and the hardware portion is complete. In fact, after changing out the 2GB for 4, and the Hitachi 5400rpm 160GB for a WD 7200rpm (320 blank right now), I plugged in the Hitachi via eSATA and ran the OS!

My next plan is set the Hitachi aside, see if I can get the OEM XPPro installed onto the 320G SATA without selecting that fake IDE mode. Then I'll put on the Retail W7 Pro 32bit, and then probably Mint or Sabayon as a 3rd OS. I wouldn't be considering W7 at all but I get too many questions from friends and family, so I gotta be ready. There are many things in its fundamental operation that I dislike. Especially the Search idiocy (IMNSHO).
I mean, if I am trying to tell someone to do something and, before I get two words out, they're running off to do what they think I want, not hearing me out, well, they are in trouble.:mad: In fact, my opinion is that W98SE had the best search function; you could even search for specific text within script tags, like when I have a bunch of pages with a given <a href="...."> that all need to be changed.
Anyway, will be back in a couple of days to play with the software.
I think I'll try using the phone-in method of registration to see if Ms will let me use the already registered 64bit validation onto the 32bit, and still use the same 32bit install disk for another ... I mean, I have paid for 2 versions of W7. Meanwhile pondering.
Thanks again. I seriously appreciate your input. And a SHOUT OUT to kemical.
DrWattsOn:)

ANY hardware change will do this;

MOBO, HDD, Graphics Card, Memory, etc;

I think I'll try using the phone-in method of registration to see if Ms will let me use the already registered 64bit validation onto the 32bit, and still use the same 32bit install disk for another ... I mean, I have paid for 2 versions of W7. Meanwhile pondering.
Thanks again. I seriously appreciate your input.

You will have to use the phone in method as the key has already or is in use and it will state that when you go to activate the X86 install.
Usually the automated phone in will work and it will issue you a new "Product ID" not a new "Activation Key"
If you have to talk with a rep, just explain the issue, (upgraded memory and/or HDD) and they should provide a new "Product ID"

Last edited:
ANY hardware change will do this;

MOBO, HDD, Graphics Card, Memory, etc;

That's not entirely true as an OEM licence states that it cannot be passed from one computer to another. Repairs are allowed though although if the motherboard was replaced then this is usually thought of as a 'different' computer and the licence becomes invalid.
This web page explains it reasonably well: Legally moving Microsoft software to another PC

Hi, kemical, that was

exactly how I understood it:
... OEM license states that it cannot be passed from one computer to another. Repairs are allowed though although if the motherboard was replaced then this is usually thought of as a 'different' computer and the license becomes invalid. ...
I am unclear just how I obtain that phone number. Maybe it is presented as an option in the installation process? Also, I am trying to figure exactly how I will get my OEM XPPRo onto the New HDD first. I thought I should just be able to find the SATA drivers and push (whatever, F6? I'll know it when I see it) and load them just as though they were SCSI or other necessary drivers. I will FIND a way to NOT set the hdd to IDE mode. Then I will see if I can put the new, unused Retail 32bit W7Pro on, and use the already registered and validated OEM64bit sticker on the computer for the 32Bit validation. If so, I'll zero the old hdd and use it for something else.
It was kinda weird booting with the old drive via eSATA while the new blank was inside.
I only did that to see if I could.
I'll be busy with other things the next couple of days, and looking for a source for SATA drivers. Failing that, I will run the XP in Virtual Box hosted by W7 or a Linux (Mint or Sabayon).
Thanks for posting the link, will check it out.
DrWattsOn

Hi DrWattsOn,

The phone number will be given to you on activation (If I remember correctly with xp you get a choice on how you want to activate).

Which motherboard do you have and I'll try and find the drivers for you...

Hi, kemical, the motherboard is whatever

Hi DrWattsOn, ... ...
Which motherboard do you have and I'll try and find the drivers for you...
is stock in the AcerAspire Revo R3610, I will have to boot it with pmagic and that should show me. I need to reconnect the monitor etc to it, and right how I am battling my sewer backup, so until that gets fixed... well, we know which end always rules:redface:. I can't have any water in or out of the apt. until it gets fixed.

Wait, I just pulled the side off the Revo... no branding, looks like a notebook mobo (uses notebook ram) with a sticker with a barcode, and under the barcode on the sticker:
M/B MBSCX09001006014F1EK00
So I will need to look in the bios or boot with pmagic. And the sewer fix is primary now.
You might peek at revouser.com to see what I have (the 3610 version).
I pulled drivers from Acer, but no sign of the SATA for XP ... to bad Ms doesn't make an Update to fix that, but they would kill XP this second if they could... Their attitude is "Hey, you gave us your money, now do as we say, and obey: give us more money!"
Thanks for offering to check, and reminder (I think you're right) about the phone #.
DrWattsOn

Last edited:
Back