Windows 8 Google search display errors on Windows 8.1

John Edwards

Have upgraded to 8.1. Now when I navigate to Google in IE11 and enter a search, the results are displayed in single words all down the left hand side of the screen, like so:
upload_2013-10-19_14-38-18.png

Anyone got any clues? Cos I haven't!

Have upgraded to 8.1. Now when I navigate to Google in IE11 and enter a search, the results are displayed in single words all down the left hand side of the screen, like so:
View attachment 25536

Anyone got any clues? Cos I haven't!
A teccy friend of mine popped over to have a look. It seems that Microsoft may have taken Google off their compatibility list. To fix this problem (and it was happening on the three machines in my household that I upgraded to 8.1) in IE 11, click on Tools, then Compatibility View Settings, then unclick the box that says Use Microsoft Compatibility List. Hey presto, you're done. What's going on Microsoft?

Either Google will need to be updated to work with IE or MS will have to update something to include Google. Either way removing Google from the Compatibility View works. Unfortunately with this unchecked, individual sites may have to be added to Compatibility View manually using the top section of that window.

Wow! I wonder if this is intentional on Microsoft's part and part of the fallout from the "Scroogled" recent TV commercials??

BIGBEARJEDI

It is no longer a problem. Microsoft initially said that it was a fault in the google search script, but within a short time they corrected it in an update. IMO, In that case it seemed pretty apparent where the fault really lay.

Fwiw. I found, before the fix, that it only happened if you used google as your home page. I changed to Bing's home page and the problem was gone. I am now back on Google - everything fine.

Back
Top Bottom