Windows 8 Graphic File sizes seem different.

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
I was trying to upload a graphic to one of the threads in the forum and the wait symbol kept running. I checked the allowable file sizes to see if it might be related, then checked the size of the files I was attempting to upload.

These numbers seem a little strange, so if anyone has any observations, please advise. This is a new install (like last night) and the only software loaded is Office 2010.

Anyway, since I cannot attach any of my photos since they are too large, the examples are from a print screen pasted into Paint, then cropped to show the bottom left 1/8 th of the screen. The cropped image was saved as a .jgeg and as a .gif

.jpeg size 177K
.gif size 183K

So, the resulting .gif is larger than the .jpeg

I tried to taking a snipping tool picture of just the Properties dialog box and it was 22K, still too large to post (19.5K). It also gives me scroll bars that I don't remember from before.

I had attached files before this new install and did not seem to have any problems. I do not know what might have changed, so I am continuing to search for a cause of the problem, possibly a video driver.

Thanks.

Just had a similar glitch when attempting to upload a small jpg to a post on the site.
I just hit the reload button and went and browsed to the file again and it went through the second time.
Not too sure but it worked for me.

I checked the Windows 7 forums graphic capabilities and it allows 1.00 MB for a .gif. The Windows 8 forums only allows 19.5 K.

Am I looking at something wrong?

I was trying to upload a graphic to one of the threads in the forum and the wait symbol kept running. I checked the allowable file sizes to see if it might be related, then checked the size of the files I was attempting to upload.

These numbers seem a little strange, so if anyone has any observations, please advise. This is a new install (like last night) and the only software loaded is Office 2010.

Anyway, since I cannot attach any of my photos since they are too large, the examples are from a print screen pasted into Paint, then cropped to show the bottom left 1/8 th of the screen. The cropped image was saved as a .jgeg and as a .gif

.jpeg size 177K
.gif size 183K

So, the resulting .gif is larger than the .jpeg

I tried to taking a snipping tool picture of just the Properties dialog box and it was 22K, still too large to post (19.5K). It also gives me scroll bars that I don't remember from before.

I had attached files before this new install and did not seem to have any problems. I do not know what might have changed, so I am continuing to search for a cause of the problem, possibly a video driver.

Thanks.
wow thanks for help

Back
Top Bottom