Graphic File sizes seem different.

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Graphics' started by Saltgrass, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I was trying to upload a graphic to one of the threads in the forum and the wait symbol kept running. I checked the allowable file sizes to see if it might be related, then checked the size of the files I was attempting to upload.

These numbers seem a little strange, so if anyone has any observations, please advise. This is a new install (like last night) and the only software loaded is Office 2010.

Anyway, since I cannot attach any of my photos since they are too large, the examples are from a print screen pasted into Paint, then cropped to show the bottom left 1/8 th of the screen. The cropped image was saved as a .jgeg and as a .gif

.jpeg size 177K
    .gif size 183K

So, the resulting .gif is larger than the .jpeg

I tried to taking a snipping tool picture of just the Properties dialog box and it was 22K, still too large to post (19.5K). It also gives me scroll bars that I don't remember from before.

I had attached files before this new install and did not seem to have any problems. I do not know what might have changed, so I am continuing to search for a cause of the problem, possibly a video driver.

Thanks.

2. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Just had a similar glitch when attempting to upload a small jpg to a post on the site.
    I just hit the reload button and went and browsed to the file again and it went through the second time.
    Not too sure but it worked for me.

3. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

I checked the Windows 7 forums graphic capabilities and it allows 1.00 MB for a .gif. The Windows 8 forums only allows 19.5 K.

Am I looking at something wrong?