Windows 7 Graphics card seems to work poorly with win 7.

Stalker7d7

I am using a Geforce 6200 pci slot graphics card, with a intel p4 2.93 ghz processor and 2.5 ghz of ram. Win 7 beta 32 bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tested it with 4 main games, CS 1.6, CSS, Left 4 Dead, and dungeons an dragons online. Going through 3 different drivers(as well as the one posted in the forums here...As well as using compatability mode, and all that crap... *Note - Windows update recommended a diver update, but when I installed it failed...repeatedly no matter what.
Code:
[B]Link Removed due to 404 Error[/B]

[B]Link Removed due to 404 Error[/B]

All but cs 1.6 force my card to stop n' go(stops, then starts again for a few seconds...), the message being something like"Nvidia kernal mode: Display driver has stopped working and restarted"
And it runs slowly in cs 1.6.

Now, all of these games work just fine in xp...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One more thing to note...when I do something, like open a folder, my cpu usage jumps up to 80% + for a split second...and when I scroll down and up, the cpu usage goes to 50% - 100%(depends on how fast I scroll), slows my computer down, and stays that way till I stop scrolling...

So, it seems, for my graphics card, I have to use the driver from the windows update, which I cannot do due to failed installation... Otherwise, I just don't know, and any information would be appreciated.

Last edited:
have you tried using the driver supplied by microsoft from the windows update menu ??

I'm using this driver with no problems at all , it's version 179.23 on my 64 bit system :)

Yea. Started with the driver it gave me, then dl'd the latest vista driver, then got the one from the forums here...same results...

have you ever tried completly removing the graphic card from your device manager, then rebooting? this should cause windows 7 to completly automatically install the driver.

hmm...I'll try that right now.
I must admit I had the latest Nvidia vista 64 driver installed when I was having problems and I completely unninstalled my card and rebooted before windows 7 update found and installed the new driver from the windows update menu :)

Hmm. Well, I did it. And the update from the Windows Update failed.
Link Removed due to 404 Error
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Tried the games again still...same result.

So...any clue to why the update are failing? Or how to get the update by other means?

Hrmph. Guess I'll either have to make the games on win 7 wait til I get myself a new machine, or wait till they release a working driver download... Unless anybody else knows something?

Last edited:
it definately sound like your experiencing more than one problem here and I can't help feeling you have some incompatible hardware ,have you checked what motherboard you have and that the current BIOS version is up to date ?

first page on your system information will tell you mobo type and BIOS no ;)

then google search to your manufacturers website and check :)

Alright:
I updated the BIOS, and got a new update for that. I then reinstalled the driver, and was able to successfully download and install the one that I couldn't before. But alas, to no avail. I then tried the driver from the forums here again, but also to no avail. Same result.

I believe my video card is just bad. And being that the drivers for Win 7 aren't fully developed yet, it just doesn't work. So, final solution(for me), just buy the new computer you've been plotting for months.

*Unless of course you have some other possible suggestions, which would help me use this computer better with what little time it has remaining*

Last edited:
Alright:
I updated the BIOS, and got a new update for that. I then reinstalled the driver, and was able to successfully download and install the one that I couldn't before. But alas, to no avail. I then tried the driver from the forums here again, but also to no avail. Same result.

I believe my video card is just bad. And being that the drivers for Win 7 aren't fully developed yet, it just doesn't work. So, final solution(for me), just buy the new computer you've been plotting for months.

*Unless of course you have some other possible suggestions, which would help me use this computer better with what little time it has remaining*
well BIOS update is definately a step in the right direction, you still haven't said what make and model your mobo is or did I miss that ??

If it was me I would want to be 110% sure that I had made best efforts to clean out the old driver so can suggest you google search for the nividia driver cleaner tool and after unninstalling the gfx card in device manager then run the driver cleaner then reeboot before going to the windows 7 update site and applying the new driver :cool:

This may be a stupid suggestion, but I had not seen this in any any of the previous posts as an idea. Have you tried the Vista drivers directly from Nvidia's website? Sometimes the suggested Windows Update driver's do not work very well in some cases.

Back