Windows 10 Group Policy editor broken?

bochane

Excellent Member
In my testenvironment it look likes the Group Policy editor (type gpedit.msc ) is broken. Here I get all kinds of messages on symbols not being defined or being double defined.....
Is it my (too) small Acer One or is it a bug in the X86 version of build 10041?

I think it's definitely some kinda of bug introduced into this new build.
As I recall it worked in the previous build.
Here I get a couple error messages as seen is this image...
gpedit.PNG

It worries me. These definition are in the registry. And if the registry got corrupted, these build is unstable.
And that is how I experience this version on my (too) small AcerOne, less stable as previous build.

Thanks anyway for the answer.

less stable as previous build.
Yes.... I guess those are the trials and tribulations of running an OS in its' earliest iterations.
Microsoft did warn us that fast ring releases might be like this and in my personal (all too limited) experience with programming....
It is not all that unusual to find somethings broken when some things are "fixed", although in this particular build, I'm having trouble finding exactly what might have been fixed.

There are a multitude of options....
Roll it back and change your update settings to "Slow".
In my case, I maintain images all the way back to 8.1 so, while I fully intend to ride it out and see what's next, I could certainly recover to something earlier without much ado.

I too, will certainly continue this test. My nice old AcerOne, my companion on many voyages from the USA till Ukraine, is giving me all the opportunities I am looking for: small (may be even too small) not any longer in use. I really hate to dump it. But most of all I like testing, even now I am 70 years old. I have been using computer since 1966.....

Goodbye from Leiderdorp. The Netherland,

I forwarded it to the insider page as a bug.
I use the group editor for a couple of things, which were not affected by the error in the message. But, being me, I opened the same folder in Windows 8.1, which I have in a dual boot, gave the appropriate permission, and copied the same three files over . LOL. error popup gone.
fwiw. the file appeared to be identical in size.

You can open the AppXRuntime.adml file in a good editing program such as Notepad++ and see where the XML has an error. There is a duplicate of the AppXRuntimeBlockFileElevationExplanation keys. This is not due to corruption, and is not a major error. It just looks like during the last build a team was working on Group Policy and had unfinished work and forgot a duplicate in there. I wouldn't recommend copying the files from Win8, I would recommend backing up the adlm file and removing the duplicate key entry. If I have time later today I will make a video of just that.

I did examine them, when I first got the fault. The three which gave me the error were all text "description" files, - the ones which popup when you select an option in the group editor.Unless you use a hex editor, it can be a long task to establish a particular line and column. Comparing with Windows 8.1, there did not seem to be any significant differences, hence my decision to try a swap. This was a while ago, and I have had no noticeable problems.
But I would suggest that any experiencing the problem do file it as feedback. The more the merrier!

Last edited:
Tried the notepad ++ thing.
Could find the lines but not the columns using Language = XML as suggested above. Guess I'm just not handy that way.
Did the swap thing, grabbed the two files from an image of 9926, which I figured would be the closest. That fixed the error when opening the Group Policy Editor, but it doesn't seem to have resolved the fact that when I use it to by-pass the lock screen it doesn't seem to actually do it.
Checking the registry key and it is set correctly also as you would expect after using gpedit.msc to set it.
AND
I did the feedback Dave, so at least there's the two of us. Actually there's a bunch. Also in the insider forum too.
No biggy just hoping we're not stuck with this build for another two months before something new comes along.
I don't mind bugs until they become "OLD" bugs, at that point they're just annoying.

Well. I had thoughts about it. As I said in another thread, I felt it was progress(?) backward. I finally took the plunge and reinstalled 9926, which has served me well.

Hi

After hearing all the issues that people are having I may just wait for the next update.
Maybe towards the end of the week I'll try dual booting it, if that works I'll still have 9923 to do my work on.

Mike

Keep at least Windows8.1 or Windows 7 in a dual boot, or at hand, until the smoke has died down, Mike.

I think it's definitely some kinda of bug introduced into this new build.
As I recall it worked in the previous build.
Here I get a couple error messages as seen is this image...
View attachment 29445

Still broken in 10074, however the error mesages I see now are SKYDRIVE related, and SKYDRIVE does not exist any longer. Where are they from, how did they get in? All W10 ISO's are from long after Skydrive became OneDrive.

Last edited:
Just because they changed the name it doesn't mean all remnants have been removed. Search the registry for SkyDrive and see what shows up.

I haven't been following this thread, but when they disabled the Network Adapter configuration settings, I got the impression they had disabled part of gpedit so it could not be reversed since there was an entry for that very setting.

Just because they changed the name it doesn't mean all remnants have been removed. Search the registry for SkyDrive and see what shows up.

I haven't been following this thread, but when they disabled the Network Adapter configuration settings, I got the impression they had disabled part of gpedit so it could not be reversed since there was an entry for that very setting.
The error message is 2 times: Can’t find
File C:\WINDOWS\PolicyDefinitions\SkyDrive.admx, line 9 column 78

That file reads:
=====================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<policyDefinitions xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" revision="1.0" schemaVersion="1.0" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/GroupPolicy/2006/07/PolicyDefinitions">
<policyNamespaces>
<target prefix="onedrive" namespace="Microsoft.Policies.OneDrive" />
<using prefix="windows" namespace="Microsoft.Policies.Windows" />
</policyNamespaces>
<resources minRequiredRevision="1.0" />
<categories>
<category name="OneDrive" displayName="$(string.OneDriveSettingCategory)">
<parentCategory ref="windows:WindowsComponents" />

=====
line 9 column 78: is ="$(string.OneDriveSettingCategory)" = about here= >
because spaces have not been copied

Last edited:
I am sure Trouble would know much more about this than I do, but I do show the reference on my 8.1 system and 10 systems.

As far as Line 9 column 78, I have no idea. Maybe if you tell me what you are trying to do, I can try it.

Right now I am checking whether an old problem has been solved, just type gpedit.msc in a terminal window and see whether the Group Polcicy Editor starts without error messages.

But the story started in some previous build, when an update of the Realtek High Definition Audio timed out. (see: http://windowsforum.com/threads/w10-on-small-marginal-systems.207574/ ) The solution I found on internet, was enlarge the time-out by using the Group Policy Editor.
In a following build all kind of error messages were generated when one started gpedit (see start of this thread)
In build 10074 most error messages are solved, except for the 2 mentioned above. I don't think that those errors effect the functioning, gpedit is doing what it should do.

In Windows 8.1 it starts without any complains.

I hope that I explained it. Thanks for your answer.

I don't think that those errors effect the functioning, gpedit is doing what it should do.
I can confirm that I get the same errors as you are mentioning.
I can also confirm that I can still not use gpedit.msc (group policy editor) to by pass the lock screen.
I cannot confirm if that is an indication that the group policy editor is not working (it does set the proper flag in the registry) or if that functionality (by passing the lock screen) has been removed.

EDIT: I can also confirm that Safe Mode seems to be still crippled a bit. Start Button doesn't work. Launching Office apps, like Outlook produces errors, etc., etc.
And it doesn't look, as far as I can tell, like the next build will be any better.

Last edited:
I can also confirm that I can still not use gpedit.msc (group policy editor) to by pass the lock screen.
Thanks Trouble,

I just checked, I can set the time-out period for installing device drivers to the desired value. I am not quit sure what you mean by bypassing the lock screen.

I am here just to learn and if possible to help, but most of all, after using computers for over 40 years, because I still am interested and enjoy using them. I have seen it all, from 2nd generation till todays powerfull computers with networking capabilities spanning the world. It is a wonderfull time to live in.

Back
Top Bottom