Windows 10 Grrr... In 30 + years Have these Idiots Learned Nothing?

Patrick Yaple

Straight from store with Win 8 Installed. 2 months of Blue Screens of Death every day or 2. After a couple of months it finally gets somewhat stable. 8.1 upgrade.. no problems. Win 10 on ORACLE VMWARE .. Oracle only has Guest Systems up to 8.1. Obvious is to go to Windows 64 bit Other. No go. A bit of searching gets to changing Guest to 8.1. Install now works. Thanks for the heads up Microsloth.. Next hurdle: No useful icons onscreen. Windows only gets to Start with keyboard WIN key. Start does not remotely resemble the ads. Text only. Rotate thru them to see anything. Key hacked with 8.1 keys to see if anything else is available. Found nothing useful to change to anything 'full' like Start Menu. No-go. Initialy tried to sign up with Gmail account to dl Win 10. Reply e-mail went to Gmail, when I clicked on link it said to use e-mail account I had signed up with. That was the account that I signed up with. They sent the Activate link to that E-mail. Several tries later I re applied with my hotmail account. That one worked. Tried to get to Microsoft thru "contact us- "support 24-7". Google Chrome error'd out with "This webpage has a redirect loop- details- too many redirects. Really wanted to tell someone that the audio would not work. Red X on icon, and no updates available for drivers. How the hell are we supposed to inform them of pre-release problems when none of their contacts work? And why does the dl of Win 10 not look even remotely like their ads? So far, this thing is only 1 step above Win 3.11. What I would really like to know, is are they trying to get their heads in farther up than the Linux crowd, and is that really an improvement?

Hi

I can only say that I've never experienced any of these issues.
My computer came with Windows 8 installed, it never blue screened, or showed any instability.

I can't say that about Windows 3.1, I used to have it installed twice, so when one installed quit working I could switch to the other one and delete the first one so I could reinstall it again, but it has improved over the years.

Now I do have some issues in Windows 10, like my keyboard lights won't work after the last update, and my sound keeps going off, or not loading but for the most part it's been pretty stable for an early test version.

I think that Windows gets the blame a lot of the time, when hardware or other installed software is the real culprit.

While I haven't been that happy with all Windows innovations, like the Metro interface, over the years I've always found Windows to be pretty stable and easy to customise, and most important able to run virtually anything I load into it.

Not something I can claim for Linux, or Apple operating systems.

Mike

Last edited:
When I built my computer I put Windows 8 in and upgraded to Win 8.1. Never had any blue screens or instability. I have used Virtual Box by Oracle and didn't have much use for it. Since then with the help of a friend I learned how to use Hyper-V with remote access and am running Win 10 without many troubles. Being it is in the beta stage yet I am finding it running pretty good.

I have to agree with Mike that windows gets the blame everytime something doesn't go right. Have go with the thought that Hardware or software can create many of the problems.

My Windows 10 runs very well too (in VMware Player). I have not encountered any of the described problems. And it looks and feels like I had expected from the ads.

Whether Windows 10 is a good operating system is another question. Only time will tell. The attempt to satisfy both the desktop user and the touch user is a difficult proposition. It leaves both use groups with a glass half full (or half empty).

Also, MS strongly recommends updating the BIOS for system stability when upgrading from 7 to 8.

Hi

When I can get an operating system that I can install all of my software and games in, and run it with no messing around, running it in VM, or having to buy a special version, then I'll consider another OS.

But I don't want to have to buy a Linux version, or an Apple version for that matter.

Windows works fine if you have a solid computer, I haven't had a serious crash in years, and very few bugs.
Even Windows 10 is running fine except for a few glitches.

Pretty much every problem I've had in the last 10 years I caused myself.

There are issues that go along with having an operating system that has to run on 90% of the worlds computers.

It has to work on everything from a high end gaming computer like mine to a $300 dollar laptop.

Even something that someone pasted together out of mismatched used parts.

The fact that it will do that is pretty amazing.

Apple OSes run on 7.05% (mostly made by Apple) of the worlds computers, Linux on 1.4%, Other, whatever that is runs on 1.7%, and Windows runs on pretty much all the others.

53% of the worlds computers run Windows 7!

In spite of that vast majority, Microsoft hasn't tried to force us to use only Microsoft applications, as Apple does, or deleted our music from our music player because we didn't buy the music files from them.

It's going to be a long time until someone comes along who has an operating system that can replace Windows.

The fact is, that people who don't screw up their computers have very few problems.
My wife knows nothing about her computer, but it never fails to work, because she doesn't mess with it.

It just chugs away year after year until the hardware fails. and then she buys a new one.

Mike

My wife knows nothing about her computer, but it never fails to work, because she doesn't mess with it.
LOL - same here. We just had to buy her a new 17" HP because her 2007 HP fried the mobo.

It is amazing how cheap these laptops are today. With an A8 quad CPU, 6GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD we paid $400. At the time, the 2007 15" HP with a 1.8GHz Duo core CPU, 2GB of RAM and a 350GB HDD cost over $1100.

Now she has Windows 8.1 and does not even know it.

You are wasting your time. You will not convince hard core Windows users to switch to Linux.

You will not convince hard core Windows users to switch to Linux.

True but I also think making hyper-v a free part of the system helps Linux because more people can try it now without buggering up their windows systems?

True, I am running 5 different distros in VMware Player. I use them mostely for internet work and some special programs. But that does not make me a full time Linux user.

I know somwone who does nothing but Linux (mostly Mint). He can do amazing things that are far beyond me. Linux is a great system, but you have to really dig your heels into it.

If you want to try, see this little tutoriual I made.

True, I am running 5 different distros in VMware Player. I use them mostely for internet work and some special programs. But that does not make me a full time Linux user.

I know somwone who does nothing but Linux (mostly Mint). He can do amazing things that are far beyond me. Linux is a great system, but you have to really dig your heels into it.

If you want to try, see this little tutoriual I made.

It might be but I cannot Linux Mint to work with remote access like I can with Win10. I am using Hyper-V to run these two OS's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what you are asking here m8… hyper-v is extremely good at remote accessing the V-machines and it doesn't really matter whether those machines are windows, Linux or even an Edian firewall | across the room or across the country (adds some lag) but the connection itself is a single button and very stable.

Screenshot (59).png

In this screen shot I'm remoteing into my home sever (nibbithost) using the standard hyper-v installed on my wireless laptop… I can do this from across the room in my house or from an internet café in town. Admittedly vmware can sort-of do this if I purchase the extra vspear software and I would also need a static ip as they resolve to an address instead of a name like hyper-v but bottom line is hyper-v is free and works right out of the box.

You'll need to install a remote desktop server application on your Mint VM that will support the RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) native to MSTSC. In order to get your host machine to communicate with your Linux Guest VM.
http://www.securitronlinux.com/linu...ow-remote-desktop-connections-from-windows-8/
I'm pretty sure that you'll need the IP address of the Linux VM as I don't believe it totally supports NetBIOS names for the connection. I may be wrong on that.
Good luck, it takes some fiddling around and doesn't seem to be nearly as robust as when connecting native RDP clients to native RDP hosts.

Last edited:
Sonny, are you talking about remote management or remote desktop? That is an older system and hyper-v servers can still use it but I generally turn it off at the server... I think that may also be the default setting.

I'm pretty sure that you'll need the IP address of the Linux VM as I don't believe it totally supports NetBIOS names for the connection. I may be wrong on that.

Thats my understanding as well.

Sorry I was talking about remote desktop. I gave up on it. Going to try and run Win 7 for the heck of it.

Back
Top Bottom