Grub Rescue

That seems like a general program freeze
Kubuntu does hiccup from time to time (thus why I dont use it)
Did you load flash by any chance?
No.
And yeah I dont care for opera these days, but its their own fault for ditching a great browser the way they did, I am fine with google chrome personally but it does not feature not nearly as much customization or flexibility of classic opera.
I'm not happy about what happened either, but that doesn't prevent me from continuing to use the Presto version...at least for now. I have tried a number of other browsers and have never found one that I cared for, and I'm slow to change...maybe it's just stubbornness.
I would take your opera issue up over at the opera linux subforum if it persists.
Or if you really do get tired of waiting for me to reply you can take your issue over to kubuntuforums:
http://www.kubuntuforums.net/content.php

Just remember this is all volunteer stuff so dont get mad if your issue doesnt get noticed right off the bat.
Simply bump your topic.
I never get mad, but I don't tend to keep trying things that never seem to work. You have been far more help than all others that have tried in the past all together
Possibly, I would not know for sure until you do further testing on your end.
I am not a total expert on every piece of hardware and how it works with linux, I dont think anyone is.
So it is a bit trial and error, kind of the downside of using linux.
That is the part about Linux that I like least, there are far more questions than anyone seems to have answers for.

No.I'm not happy about what happened either, but that doesn't prevent me from continuing to use the Presto version...at least for now. I have tried a number of other browsers and have never found one that I cared for, and I'm slow to change...maybe it's just stubbornness.I never get mad, but I don't tend to keep trying things that never seem to work. You have been far more help than all others that have tried in the past all together
That is the part about Linux that I like least, there are far more questions than anyone seems to have answers for.

Okay, I had to check if you were using flash.
And glad I could be of some help.
As for the last bit yeah its a sad state that things in linux are trial and error, but its mainly due to most hardware being made for windows in mind.
But Linux hardware detection and performance has gotten much better, so there you go.
Like I will try my best to help you, I am sure you can get help from others too if you needed it.
Kubuntu is a a pretty good starting point especially if you are a windows 7 user though, if you ever get fed up with it i do have some other distros for you to try out and I can give you guides if and when that time comes.

I really doubt that, but thanks for the offer. I never jump around just for the "fun" of it, If I found a distro that would do everything I wanted, and that I understood, I would never leave it. So far, Kubuntu has come closer to that ideal than anything else I have tried.

I really doubt that, but thanks for the offer. I never jump around just for the "fun" of it, If I found a distro that would do everything I wanted, and that I understood, I would never leave it. So far, Kubuntu has come closer to that ideal than anything else I have tried.

Glad to hear.
But may I ask what are you looking for in a linux desktop?
Is it general ease of use?
A lot of linux distros I have used fit that criteria
But what ones have you tried?
I do have to ask these questions as it could help in your experience in the future.

I may have misinterpreted you response to my Opera question, because I thought that you were asking whether I had installed or updated flash, which I hadn't. However I had used it, viewing videos on Hulu. I don't know if it was actually involved in the problem, but I just attempted to go to Hulu to check it, and for some reason, instead of going to Hulu, it started loading Google, but very quickly frooze,I had to kill it with Signal Guard. I then reopened Opera and tried again, and Hulu loaded properly and videos would play. I then rechecked if I could type into it, and this post is the proof that I can. Why did you ask about Flash, is there a known issue with it and Opera in Linux?

I may have misinterpreted you response to my Opera question, because I thought that you were asking whether I had installed or updated flash, which I hadn't. However I had used it, viewing videos on Hulu. I don't know if it was actually involved in the problem, but I just attempted to go to Hulu to check it, and for some reason, instead of going to Hulu, it started loading Google, but very quickly frooze,I had to kill it with Signal Guard. I then reopened Opera and tried again, and Hulu loaded properly and videos would play. I then rechecked if I could type into it, and this post is the proof that I can. Why did you ask about Flash, is there a known issue with it and Opera in Linux?

Well flash in general has been known to be problematic in linux, so I had to ask.
Opera and flash in linux did have some issues last time I used opera, thus was part of my motivation to use chrome instead.
If you have more issues with opera I cannot help much in that area, I really dont use opera nor care to at this time.
Opera is pretty much dead to me, if you like it more then other browsers more power to you.
The main star browser in linux right now is Google chrome, sure its not perfect but it does offer its own flash wrapper.
But that wont be for much longer, firefox is developing their own flash alternative.
If you want to install normal flash i suggest you get it via the repositories in Muon, there is a metapackage called Kubuntu restricted extras which will not only install flash but most other codecs you may want.
The only thing it wont do is pull in DVD playback, that you will have to install something called libdvdcss which can be found here:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/

Note:
even though this says debian the .deb files it has is compatible with both Ubuntu and debian

Glad to hear.
But may I ask what are you looking for in a linux desktop?
Is it general ease of use?
A lot of linux distros I have used fit that criteria
But what ones have you tried?
I do have to ask these questions as it could help in your experience in the future.
I'm a little reluctant to say, because my bad experiences in the past may have been more related to my ignorance, than with any shortcomings of the distros. However, I originally started with one that for some reason I can't remember the name of, but I've also tried SuSe (had too many problems getting everything to work with it), Fedora and Debian (had problems even installing them), and Sabayon (not to my taste), CentOS (Cant really remember what the problem was with it). Seems like there were a couple of others, but can't remember.

I'm a little reluctant to say, because my bad experiences in the past may have been more related to my ignorance, than with any shortcomings of the distros. However, I originally started with one that for some reason I can't remember the name of, but I've also tried SuSe (had too many problems getting everything to work with it), Fedora and Debian (had problems even installing them), and Sabayon (not to my taste), CentOS (Cant really remember what the problem was with it). Seems like there were a couple of others, but can't remember.

Yeah quite a slew there, trust me Kubuntu is one of the easier ones.
Well so is openSUSE (trust me its much better now, I too had issues with SUSE in the past)

Well flash in general has been known to be problematic in linux, so I had to ask.
Opera and flash in linux did have some issues last time I used opera, thus was part of my motivation to use chrome instead.
If you have more issues with opera I cannot help much in that area, I really dont use opera nor care to at this time.
Opera is pretty much dead to me, if you like it more then other browsers more power to you.
The main star browser in linux right now is Google chrome, sure its not perfect but it does offer its own flash wrapper.
But that wont be for much longer, firefox is developing their own flash alternative.
If you want to install normal flash i suggest you get it via the repositories in Muon, there is a metapackage called Kubuntu restricted extras which will not only install flash but most other codecs you may want.
The only thing it wont do is pull in DVD playback, that you will have to install something called libdvdcss which can be found here:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/
I don't like Firefox much, but it is my secondary browser. Not quite sure what you mean by "it's own flash wrapper"? I haven't tested it with DVDs, but I normally would use VLC player for DVDs and downloaded or encoded videos. I know that it works perfectly with the latter set.

Last edited:
I don't like Firefox much, but it is my secondary browser. Not quite sure what you mean by "it's own flash wrapper"? I haven't tested it, but I normally would use VLC player for DVDs and downloaded or encoded videos. I know that it works perfectly with the latter set.

What I mean for firefox having its own flash wrapper is that Mozilla is developing its own in home flash alternative called shumway.
Shumway is intended to take up the slack that adobe left with abandoning flash on mobile.
Part of the motivation is that Mozilla really wants to get into the mobile market, and flash is one thing holding them back.
So they came up with shumway, it is supposed to replace flash by next year in not just mobile but the desktop as Mozilla has lost some browser market share in the linux world due to adobe dropping flash support and so google chrome has taken some of its steam.
Linux and firefox have gone hand and hand for ages, not only was firefox the first browser in the linux world to be near universally accepted Mozilla is a key player in the linux world.
So rather you like firefox or not, its still going to be the browser you will find in most linux distros by default.

As for DVD playback in linux yes what I said is true, if you just installed VLC in Kubuntu on its own it may not work with all your DVDs as some DVD's are encrypted and libdvdcss will bypass it if your favorite dvd wont play in linux.
But do install VLC, its bar none the best dvd player in the linux world.
Its in the repos and you can install it via Muon

What I mean for firefox having its own flash wrapper is that Mozilla is developing its own in home flash alternative called shumway.
Shumway is intended to take up the slack that adobe left with abandoning flash on mobile.
Part of the motivation is that Mozilla really wants to get into the mobile market, and flash is one thing holding them back.
So they came up with shumway, it is supposed to replace flash by next year in not just mobile but the desktop as Mozilla has lost some browser market share in the linux world due to adobe dropping flash support and so google chrome has taken some of its steam.
Will those alternative wrappers still properly play online videos designed for Flash Player, like Hulu?
As for DVD playback in linux yes what I said is true, if you just installed VLC in Kubuntu on its own it may not work with all your DVDs as some DVD's are encrypted and libdvdcss will bypass it if your favorite dvd wont play in linux.
But do install VLC, its bar none the best dvd player in the linux world.
Its in the repos and you can install it via Muon
Like I said, VLC is already up and running. At the moment, playing DVDs is not much of a priority for me, because I have encoded my entire collection to a hard drive, and DVD encryption is not a factor for them. The only time I have to play a DVD is if it is new to my collection, or I have to re-encode an old one for some reason. When doing either of those things, I would rely on Windows. VLC just needs to be able to play them, which it does.

Last edited:
Will those alternative wrappers still properly play online videos designed for Flash Player, like Hulu?
Yes on the desktop, on the tablet its different as theres an app for that
and yes I went there sorry :D
Shumway will embed youtube and stuff inside the browser though saving on needing so many apps.
It will also enable web game support :D

Like I said, VLC is already up and running. At the moment, playing DVDs is not much of a priority for me, because I have encoded my entire collection to a hard drive, and DVD encryption is not a factor for them. The only time I have to play a DVD is if it is new to my collection, or I have to re-encode an old one for some reason. When doing either of those things, I would rely on Windows. VLC just needs to be able to play them, which it does.
Well if you want to you can rip dvd's via linux too, a couple of nice apps to do it.
I am a big fan of handbrake, handbrake even has a windows port:

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Acidrip is pretty awesome too.

Yes, I like and use Handbrake on Windows. The only thing about it I don't like is that it can't handle DVD encryption. It's strongest point for me is that you can queue a series of encodes to run in sequence from multiple DVDs. For encrypted DVDs I use this:

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

Unfortunately it is only a Windows app.

Yes, I like and use Handbrake on Windows. The only thing about it I don't like is that it can't handle DVD encryption. It's strongest point for me is that you can queue a series of encodes to run in sequence from multiple DVDs. For encrypted DVDs I use this:

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper-platinum/

Unfortunately it is only a Windows app.

Actually handbrake on linux can do the whole decryption thing of DVDs, its a side effect of installing libdvdcss.
Handbrake in Windows can do it too if it also has libdvdcss:

http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/

Now in the guide it suggests installing XBMC for the libdvdcss.dll
but you can bypass that part and just downloading the .dll you need also via the VLC website:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libdvdcss/1.2.11/win32/

Though XBMC is still pretty awesome :D

Hmm, you say that with XBMC installed, Handbrake can encode encrypted DVDs? I already have XBMC installed on Kubuntu, so I will try it will Handbrake. If I understood the article that you linked, Windows couldn't use libdvdcss, but might be able to use DVD43...yes? Not that it matters much, because the article also said that it wouldn't work on Windows 7 AMD64, like I have. I do have XBMC installed on Windows also, but that wouldn't enable decryption on Handbrake...would it?

Hmm, you say that with XBMC installed, Handbrake can encode encrypted DVDs? I already have XBMC installed on Kubuntu, so I will try it will Handbrake. If I understood the article that you linked, Windows couldn't use libdvdcss, but might be able to use DVD43...yes? Not that it matters much, because the article also said that it wouldn't work on Windows 7 AMD64, like I have. I do have XBMC installed on Windows also, but that wouldn't enable decryption on Handbrake...would it?

Handbrake may not decode unless you have libdvdcss installed, libdvdcss is not installed alongside xbmc in Kubuntu.

As for 64bit windows this guide suggests something can be done about using handbrake dvd ripping:

http://www.webluke.net/2011/08/handbrake-windows-7-64-bit-dvd-ripping/

Okay, I've downloaded and renamed libdvdcss as the article says. I don't have a DVD handy at the moment to test it with, but it will be interesting to try. I guess I misunderstood what you said previously about having XBMC and Handbrake working together in Kubuntu, so I will try adding libdvdcss there also.

Last edited:
We have covered so many things other than Grub in this thread, if it were possible, I would change the name to something like Tweaking Kubuntu et. al.

I went back into Kubuntu last night, and ran XBMC for the first time. I thought that it would be better than it is in Windows, but except for one thing, I was wrong. In Windows, when selecting a video to watch, it runs so slowly that it is slower than slow motion.

In Kubuntu, the video runs at normal speed, but without any audio output. I checked the audio setting in it, and the volume shows zero when the slider control is all the way to maximum, and the audio output control is grayed out. On top of that, it runs at a resolution that only fills a portion of my monitor's screen, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change that, nor a way to move it to my secondary monitor.

Even if I could tolerate all that to a degree, the fact that the cursor is bound to the limits of the XBMC window, so that I can't do anything else when it is running, makes it totally useless to me. I was hoping that I could at least use it as a means of cataloging videos in Kubuntu, because my Windows cataloging app is incompatible with Linux.

Do you have any rabbits you can pull out of your hat that would resolve these problems, preferably starting in reverse order, with the resolution and window moving and cursor issues first?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom