Grub Rescue

Okay, I had to set the hardware clock to UTC to get both Suse and Windows on time, but I doubt that will deal with Kubuntu, since it read the time properly when it was set to local time. That may not matter too much, since I'm getting Suse working better. At least I can have all of my ODDs connected, without Suse balking on boot, like Kubuntu does. The only thing about Suse is that it still requires more manual fiddling than it should, like having to install the VLC codecs separately. Since it automatically installs everything it needs in both Windows and Kubuntu, it would seem that should also be true in Suse.

I'm trying to figure how to run a video downloader from Windows with Wine. When I selected to open the .exe with Wine, a dialog appeared saying that I needed to install the Flash Player activex first. The problem is that when I went to the Flash download page, the only things it showed available were a couple of debuggers and something called projector.I searched Yast for Flash Player and it listed 3 options, the first of which popped a dialog saying that it couldn't be installed. It went ahead and installed the other two, but I still get the same result opening the .exe now. This is something that frequently causes me some issues even on Windows, but I can generally handle it, but I don't know how to approach it on Linux...any help?

Okay, I had to set the hardware clock to UTC to get both Suse and Windows on time, but I doubt that will deal with Kubuntu, since it read the time properly when it was set to local time. That may not matter too much, since I'm getting Suse working better. At least I can have all of my ODDs connected, without Suse balking on boot, like Kubuntu does. The only thing about Suse is that it still requires more manual fiddling than it should, like having to install the VLC codecs separately. Since it automatically installs everything it needs in both Windows and Kubuntu, it would seem that should also be true in Suse.

Yeah, though it used to pull in the codecs but not not for some reason, its a reported issue and will probably get fixed (vlc is provided under packman a openSUSE repo and thus is not an official repo, though it is reliable.)

I'm trying to figure how to run a video downloader from Windows with Wine. When I selected to open the .exe with Wine, a dialog appeared saying that I needed to install the Flash Player activex first. The problem is that when I went to the Flash download page, the only things it showed available were a couple of debuggers and something called projector.I searched Yast for Flash Player and it listed 3 options, the first of which popped a dialog saying that it couldn't be installed. It went ahead and installed the other two, but I still get the same result opening the .exe now. This is something that frequently causes me some issues even on Windows, but I can generally handle it, but I don't know how to approach it on Linux...any help?

Err a video downloader? for youtube I gather? I can help you out there

Firstly dont try to run .exe's from your windows partition, it simply wont work a lot of the time.
Always use a seperate installer inside linux, even if its for wine.
Secondly I can probably help you find a linux alternative for you, always use wine as a last resort.

If its youtube you are in luck as there are plenty of ways to download vids off of there.
For other sites it gets a bit dodgy but I know a few firefox/ chrome extensions.

No, it's not for YouTube. The downloader I want to use is a special downloader for other sites that can't be downloaded very easily. In fact, the only way that I've found that works for me is with GetFLV, which is a program that isn't available for Linux. Are you saying that Wine is a total waste of time? As long as it's been around, I would have thought it would be useful at least a good percentage of the time.

As far as YouTube goes, I can download from it, by using an extension available from Opera, but even it is going to require Flash. On some webpages it says that it needs a Flash plugin to display the page properly, but selecting for it to download it doesn't work, so apparently I need to install Flash separately.

Last edited:
No, it's not for YouTube. The downloader I want to use is a special downloader for other sites that can't be downloaded very easily. In fact, the only way that I've found that works for me is with GetFLV, which is a program that isn't available for Linux.

Well there are a few extensions that I know about that can do a similar job, like downloadhelper for firefox which runs pretty good under linux.
Just remember to use it you need flash, to get flash in openSUSE open up your software manager (located in the menu's under system> configuration> add/remove software and install flash via the package manager

https://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software_Management

YaST is very simple to use, in many ways it works quite like Kubuntu's muon in functionality
Just dont install flash the windows way, the installer has been known to have issues)

And yeah you need to install flash separately in openSUSE, makes sense as its no longer being developed on by adobe.
openSUSE used to bundle flash after the first update so you wouldnt have to install it sseperately, but blame Adboe for dropping linux support.
Other distros are bound to follow this example, why bundle something that is no longer officially supported?
Luckily we have shumway to take its place here soon to help with youtube and sites like it.

Last edited:
I attempted to install it with Yast, but I obviously did something wrong. The screenshot show the package I choose:

snapshot5.png

But Flash still doesn't appear in the plugin list in Opera.

How odd, even after closing off opera? You got the right package, try closing out opera and logging out/back in of your session

I should have thought of that myself, but at least it is now working. I should now be able to download YouTube, once I install the right downloader extension, but I think that GetFLV is a lost cause, because when opening it's .exe, it just attempts to install the program on Suse, rather than just running the Windows installation as I thought it would. The Gui will open, but in a non-functional manner. That means that i will need to find some other app to perform it's function, but I've never had any luck with that in the past.

Yeah sometimes its like that in the linux world, its just a side effect.
Like I said a good one I have used is downloadhelper for firefox, its very good if you are willing to use firefox on the side.

If there is no other way, I can force myself to do so, but I'm still working on Opera's extensions. The one that I use on Windows doesn't work, but there are others that I haven't tried yet.

I just Googled Shumway, and from what I could see, it could only be used in Firefox. I understand that you don't like Opera, but this is not something that will cause me to convert. Opera has html5 support, but it doesn't score very high in the 12 version that I use, so for the time being, I will just have to use Windows for YouTube, etc., rather than Suse. It would be nice if I could cut another string holding me to Windows, but it doesn't appear that it is in the cards.

Yeah but opera is all but dead these days, gone is it was a viable browser and now its just a sick sad shell (literally) of its former self.
As for HTML5 Its coming to all browsers not just opera, but I can foresee opera being totally gone within the next few years.
And yeah the linux opera is stuck at version 12, not like I want to see the new opera anytime soon on linux when after all we already have google chrome :D

Seems silly not to use linux on that basis, supporting a dead browser and all.
Opera is dead, it has ceased to be, its gone to meet its maker, its bereft of life, if opera had not crippled to be another chrome clone it would be pushing up the daises.

As for other browsers, firefox is good, chrome is good.
I know we dont have IE on linux but really IE is not faring too well these days either, sure its caught up with html5... but its really a latecomer, so is opera (thus why it dropped presto and is using chromes webkit/blink, its a last ditch effort sad to say)
More forward thinking browsers like Firefox has had plans for it for some time now.
Really either go over to windows to chrome wannabe opera, or use linux and use actual chrome ;D
Or use Chromium if you are a part of the anti google/ NSA tin foil hat brigade, it still works either way.

Seems silly not to use linux on that basis, supporting a dead browser and all.

I never said that I wasn't going to use Linux, only that I remained tied to Windows. As long as I can't do everything in Linux, that I do in Windows, I remain stuck with a multi-boot system. I guess that I would still have a multi-boot system, even if Linux was totally equal on all fronts, but at least I wouldn't feel it necessary to use Windows as my primary boot system. On top of that, since computers are definitely tied to the age that we live in, and this age is destined to be a dire one, I suspect that there are changes on the horizon for computers that most of us will never want. Linux may follow the same path as Windows, but it is good to have a possible alternative available.

too true, though I couldn't resist doing a dead parrot at operas experience.
As for the future of OS's for me sorry to say but I do see linux having more of a future then windows does, at least where things are going with the mobile market on the rise.
Sure linux may have the 2038 but but it is avoided in non 32bit kernels (which mobiles have)
On the desktop? Well its anyones game now, Microsoft dug a hole for itself with windows 8 and 8.1 wont fare much better.
For gaming yeah windows will still bew dominant, but for browsing computers?
that may shift to linux with the rise of chromebooks and the possibility of android powered laptops

Sure linux may have the 2038

Not sure what you mean by that? Actually, when Opera dropped the ball was a number of years ago, when it became free. It was at that point that Opera focused on the mobile market, in which it was more successful in...not sure if that remains true or not. However, instead of trying to remain innovative with the desktop, they just worked on keeping it secure. What loyalty that I have to the browser is not based on it's ranking in terms of performance, but on both my trust for it's security and being accustomed to it's layout and design. I doubt that my trust in it's security will last, at least in version 12, which I'm still using, but I'm not one that like changes that require relearning...as you may have gleaned about me by now.

I share your feelings about 8 and 8.1, but I think that for some reasons that I can't fathom, that MS decided to design it primarily as a mobile system, and I believe when they realize that it was a mistake, that they will do as they have in the past with their failures, release a new version that regains popularity, as they did with Windows 7.

Not sure what you mean by that?
In short, 32bit linux has a Y2K type bug in it:

Now Linux does use unix time (as does OSX) so this can effect systems using 32bit linux/unix kernels in 2038.
But since thats a bit of a ways off and most systems will probably go 64bit at that time (regardless of technology) the same thing will happen to Linux/OSX as it did to computers using windowsx:

Nothing :D

Actually, when Opera dropped the ball was a number of years ago, when it became free.

Not really, as it was a wise move to do at the time.
After all opera was competing with IE which was default and free and the upcomming firefox was also free.
So for a marketing standpoint not charging for the browser was the right idea.
Its putting advertisements in the browser that i think what still haunts opera till this day, if they never put adverts in we may still see opera as a mainstay.
Also lack of marketing, Firefox made itself known as did chrome

What loyalty that I have to the browser is not based on it's ranking in terms of performance, but on both my trust for it's security and being accustomed to it's layout and design. I doubt that my trust in it's security will last, at least in version 12, which I'm still using, but I'm not one that like changes that require relearning...as you may have gleaned about me by now.

Yeah I gathered, but if you were not willing to learn you would not be here.

I share your feelings about 8 and 8.1, but I think that for some reasons that I can't fathom, that MS decided to design it primarily as a mobile system, and I believe when they realize that it was a mistake, that they will do as they have in the past with their failures, release a new version that regains popularity, as they did with Windows 7.

Its hard to tell, I mean windows 8.1 for me shows signs that Microsoft may be past the point of no return in terms of development.
I mean they had a year, an entire year to improve windows and what did they do?
Scotch tape on a start button and call it a day.

Sorry but no, one year is more then enough time to get your act together, if linux can do it so can windows.
And yeah I have seen linux develop more in the course of one year then windows, hell I am willing to bank my almost 10 years on linux on all the years windows has been around.
Sure the changes on linux can be small and incremental, heck this last year little has changed about linux in terms of UI.
But heres the thing, it doesnt need it, its already got plenty of development on its interfaces but if you really want a good example of how good linux can become in one year I will point at linux Mint as my exhibit A:

You see about two years linux wise there was a change in one of the UI's in linux, Gnomeended its classic (2x) branch and became Gnome 3...,
and no one was happy, it was a major thing on many distros and there was a lot of arguing going one.
But one stood out trying to make best of what it had, Linux mint took the Gnome 3 interface and started to make it its own.
And so came cinnemon, a windows like UI anyone can use (as opposed to gnome shells not even OSX design) and wqhile it had a bumpy ride in its first year it achieved more stability and reliability then its counterparet.
And within its second year it shook off gnomes code, became its owqn thing and now stands out as a symbol of what determination can get you.
Really I like cinnamon, I like it just as much as I do KDE (which also made more progress in one yeear then windows but thats another story)

Yeah I gathered, but if you were not willing to learn you would not be here.

Willing to learn, but at my own rate and on my own schedule.

One thing I find difficult to access, is how to rate distros based on your comments about them? I understand that you are a distro hopper, and obviously find things in one distro that you like better than in others, but sometimes it seems that one day one distro is at the top of your list, and the next day another one is. I feel that for Linux to really get ahead in the market, that it will have to adapt to the point and click majority of users, and in that aspect, I've never seen much progress. To someone such as yourself, this may seem like a minor point, but then I don't think that you represent a majority of people. Yes, I understand that over simplification has drawbacks, but that is apart from what gains public appeal. I suppose that the ultimate computer would have to be like HAL, but when computers start talking to me, and telling me what to do, I will get rid of all of my computers.

Yeah I am a hopper, but in general I usually stick to these distros (or something that is based on them):

Ubuntu
Debian
openSUSE

Then there are other distros that I may slip by as a recommendation, such as SolydXK or Neptune.
But I usually tend to favor distros in the debian family (Ubuntu included)
Now if something catches my eye I am not afraid to recommend it, such as openSUSE 13.1 which may be the winning distro for next year.
The thing is about linux is about finding the distro that favors you, now me I am experimental so I am not afraid to try something new (like Manjaro) but if I like something I usually stick with it for some time (though steamOS is out today so I am obligated to try it out see how well it fares. So there you go)

Linux unlike windows is about cxhoice and perhaps that is my berst defending point of the OS.
Ther thing is this isnt some contest to see who wins number one, if windows is suitable i say go for it, like Ubuntu I say more power to you.
I would not call myself a compass as I do dabble I admit, but i think I like thew whole of linux and not just its parts.
Sure some parts are better then others but if I see something that I may like I will fire it up why not.
I have lived my life without windows, I can also do it without walls :D

Based on the three distros that you stick with, I'm somewhat curious. I assume from your avatar that Debian is your true favorite, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian, I also assume that the same is true of Kubuntu. The poser for me is that if it is Debian based, then why did I have to use a rpm, instead of a deb to install Opera? If I recall, Suse has the ability to use debs with some kind of special installer, is that true of Ubuntu and Kubuntu?

Here is a little question that I think yo can answer pretty easily...I've found some wallpaper that I like on Suse that I would like to use on Windows, but have not found where Suse stores it's wallpaper navigating with Dolphin. I also tried using whereis, but the result I got is confusing:

snapshot6.png

The question is two part...what does the return in the terminal mean, and where is wallpaper actually kept in Suse?

EDIT: Disregard my question about the whereis return, I now see that is just the starting line.

Back