Windows 7 Hard Drive Partition Problems

cam english

I have a seagate 3tb hdd that i got about a year ago and have noticed that i can only use 1.27tb of it. After some investigation i learned about partitions but i can not extend the volume to use the rest, when i try to i get the error:"only the first 2tb are usable on large mbr" can anybody help me?
Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG

That's because an MBR partitioned drives can only use up to 2TBs. If you want to utilize the entire drive you will need go into your BIOS / UEFI and enable UEFI booting then reinstall Windows..

Hello cam
As mentioned, an MBR partitioned disk can only be used up to 2TBs. You can try that way or you can try another easier way. Convert the MBR disk to GPT disk with freeware, AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard. You can create almost unlimited (in fact up to128) partitions on an GPT hard drive. You can convert the data partition (not C drive) from MBR to GPT disk style with that freeware. But if you want to convert the entire disk, you may need the paid version. Yet in your circumstance, I guess the free version is enough.
If you do not want to convert disk style, I suggest you shrink the unallocated space into two parts, one part shoud be more than 1 TB. Then leave the 1 TB alone and make use of the rest. The software I mentioned allows you to merge unallocated space. Maybe you can have a try.
Regards.

Last edited:
The Difference Between GPT and MBR What’s the Difference Between GPT and MBR When Partitioning a Drive?
In most cases, you will be fine with either MBR or GPT. It is only in situation where you need to install Windows on a Mac, or when you need to have a partition bigger than 2TB, that you need to use GPT, or convert MBR to GPT. Also, for the newer model of computer that uses UEFI, it will only support GPT.
Of course, you can Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk How to Free Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk without Data Loss - EaseUS

Back