Windows 8 Has anyone else noticed this ?

brkkab

Excellent Member
Has anyone else noticed, that ever since installing the January Patch Tuesday updates in Windows 8.1 that the right-click context menu is missing the option to show the next desktop background. My pc hasn't had any malware to explain this according to Malwarebytes free, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional ( with Real-Time Protection disabled) and Bitdefender Internet Security 2014. It's like this on both my desktop pc and notebook. Same security software on both.

Attachments

• R-ClContext.png
    R-ClContext.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 396
Hi! This is the default menu on a clean install of Windows:

2014-02-04-23-56-29.png

The ability to go to the next desktop background, as you describe it, may be a feature of some kind of desktop customization software.

You have to have a collection of wallpapers checked in your background in order to see this option, are you sure you have multiples selected? If so, try unchecking and rechecking multiple wallpapers, hit apply and hopefully the option returns.

I'm on 8.1 with all latest updates.

Well, it should be appearing considering I'm running one the themes from Microsoft's Personalization Gallery. It showed until I installed January's updates.

I am still showing it on mine, along with the Intel Graphics options. I do run a personalized background from one available normally. All the option does is change the picture to the next in line.

If you select "personalise" - Then "Windows", for example, for the themes, you should then select the option at the bottom "Desktop Background". At the top of the window, choose "Select All". You should then have your missing option in the drop down.

Has anyone else noticed, that ever since installing the January Patch Tuesday updates in Windows 8.1 that the right-click context menu is missing the option to show the next desktop background. My pc hasn't had any malware to explain this according to Malwarebytes free, SUPERAntiSpyware Professional ( with Real-Time Protection disabled) and Bitdefender Internet Security 2014. It's like this on both my desktop pc and notebook. Same security software on both.

Mine has never shown that supposed "show the next desktop background" option. I'm betting it's some sort of 3rd party software that you've downloaded and it's added that option to the context menu.

To clear up any confusion, as Joe said, if you download a theme pack that has more than one wallpaper, you will have that option. This feature was introduced natively in Windows 7 and requires no third party software. I still have the option after this month's updates. Sometimes your theme can somehow get reset to only use one of the wallpapers in a pack. To fix this, go to Personalization and reselect your theme. That's the only suggestion I have.

***SOLVED*** Just found out what the issue was. I customized the theme and saved it, but even though I had all the themes pictures selected, Windows changed it some how. Deleted that and resaved it how I had it and the option is back.

Back