Windows 10 Have they fixed the Windows 10 AU issues?

DreamyAbaddon

When I updated to Windows10 Anniversary Update, My XboxOne controller would turn on, communicate with the wireless reciever then turn off... The drivers got all messed up... and shit just stopped working properly so I restored to my previous image prior to the update. (This is why I tell people to backup using Macrium Reflect)
Also some USB devices stopped working like my Logictech Camera

Anyways, has these issues been fixed yet? Is it Safe to update to Windows10 AU or should I still wait?

Is it Safe to update to Windows10
if you lock it off from doing future updates yes but the default is still to; look for, download and install (offen very dougy) Microsoft drivers and updates without asking or even telling the system owner

Usually those are not actually MS drivers (per-say) they are slightly older vendor drivers (Intel, AMD, NV, Realtek etc) I have not had any issues to speak of with Windows 10 Update and I game constantly. It might help the technicians here if you gave your hardware specifications.

There is no need for me to give hardware specs.
My PC works flawlessly right now pre-windows 10 update so I know my specs are fine.
All I want to know is if the Windows10 Aneversary Update's bugs on how USBs work and how the XboxOne controller disconnecting has been solved or not. This update screwed things up so if they fixed it I'll update it, otherwise I'll wait until they fix the update.

Zero issues on the one W10 machine I have that has the AU installed on.:star: I'm still waiting to get the September monthly update though. I don't game, so it's not affected me at all. Some of our Techs here do game, and there are many issues with Chrome and other apps, but this hasn't affected me.:D
The AU version has been rock solid so far.

Best,:cool:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Zero issues on the one W10 machine I have that has the AU installed on.:star: I'm still waiting to get the September monthly update though. I don't game, so it's not affected me at all. Some of our Techs here do game, and there are many issues with Chrome and other apps, but this hasn't affected me.:D
The AU version has been rock solid so far.

Best,:cool:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Now I just gotta see if it's rock solid for me too.
I'm going to create an Image of my Hard Drive Windows OS with Macrium Reflect before I update to AU just in case if the update is still broken for me. If it is still broken for me I can always revert back to my previous image. I like to take precaution... I'm just glad I'm able to disable updates when I need too.

Well it's been 100% stable for me as well. I am currently playing 6 games, 3 of them new games, and no issues with any of them even after the Windows 10 AU. Like you though, for safeties sake I also keep backups with Marcrium. I also steer completely away from board maker software (MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock etc) and use the BIOS only, and I'm sure you have seen the issues with some of that software with Windows 10, as well as with each major update. I try to keep things as slim and efficient as possible for maximum performance and reliability.

No USB issues here. I have an old Xbox 360 controller from Microsoft. It still connects fine. So does my usb Headphones and I have connected many USB sticks to it and everything works. Oh yeah, my MS Webcam works too.

In fact I just downloaded the new NesBox emulator from the store and it works great with the MS 360 Wireless Controller via usb.

Well, I knew it was too good to be true! September AU update came into my W10 Sony Vaio laptop this morning around 2AM, and I let it run. It removed 2 apps from my pre-AU configuration (CCleaner & 8Gadgetpack), and made me remove my Norton Internet Security and update to the latest Norton I.S. version and then completed the update. It was all looking good, I even made a post on here on the main AU thread. Then Norton had me reboot, and wham! I suddenly lost like 15 keys on my keyboard that were no longer working correctly! :(

I tried several things, including full chkdsk and sfc. No go there. I tried some other repairs as well; no luck. Tried booting in Safe Mode too; but the problem persisted. I was getting ready to Restore from a Macrium Image Backup to my pre-AU config, and I thought I'd try the new "ROLL BACK TO THE PREVIOUS BUILD". I've never done the rollback before and it's now in the Advanced Options=Recovery menu. It worked! :up:

I'm disappointed that there is some problem with my laptop and the latest September AU build, v1607 b14393.187. It could be the keyboard or human interface drivers, I didn't check the Dell website to see if they had a later version than what the W10 AU installed. But, I'll get back to that later. I'm going to wait on letting that update into the laptop until October and see what that update does. In the meantime, I'm going to let the update into my other 4-W10 machines and see if they have a similar problem. They have different hardware, cpu's, Mobos, etc.

Back to the drawing board Microsoft...:angered:

At least the September AU update finally came into one of my computers through Windows Update and self-installed. :applaud:
I'll report back further developments here..stay tuned! :teeth:

BBJ :nerdie:

thats my point... under the current system it is always unstable until you take control back from Microsoft.
everyone that lets Microsoft manage their system is just playing russian roulette

Interesting thought, Norway.:andwhat: It's certainly tougher to upgrade the post-AU W10 now than it was to initially install the RTM last July 29th. :skull: Well, it's a good thing I'm protected by multiple layers of backup such as Macrium image backups, and Cloud drive backups including OneDrive, Dropbox, and Crash Plan.:encouragement: Perhaps I'll turn off WUDO until October and re-enable it then if I can get any of my other machines to play nice with the latest September AU.:pray:

Definitely, food for thought.:iee: Just when I thought Microsoft was making progress on the W10 AU update delivery issue. Hrrrmmmm....:insanity:

BBJ

That's why I've disabled automatic updates with the help of group policies. My advice for everyone owning the pro edition would be to do the same. This way one can do some research on possible issues before updating. And never forget to backup your system ;)

I sailed right through with no issues to any of this and my one desktop I have on Windows 10 has never worked better.

@Rich--so the AU 14393.187 build came in and updated on your W10 machine with no problem whatsoever?? I'm clarifying, since you'd be the first on planet earth to do so. LOL.:rofl:

BBJ

I'm the second, no problems here.
@Rich--so the AU 14393.187 build came in and updated on your W10 machine with no problem whatsoever?? I'm clarifying, since you'd be the first on planet earth to do so. LOL.:rofl:

BBJ

I'm the second on the planet. No problems here.
Screenshot (21).png

BBJ
Yes the biggest ex-critic of Windows 10 on earth, go figure no problems. I do have a clean install not an upgrade. And I was so paranoid about the free upgrade as I had had so many issues I bought the dvd even to do the clean install. I wanted nothing from MS for free and its the first time Windows 10 actually worked for me.

Aha!! So, Rich, you didn't have a successful W10 AU upgrade through Windows Update--just as I thought!:bigtongue: OldGuy then has upped his status to being the ONLY one on the planet to have this work for him! :iee:

@oldguy: It's interesting to note that your computer is an i7 CPU either 5th generation or 6th generation. That means it's a "Modern Era" computer, or one made in 2009 or later (W7-era) machine. Your i7 is then a Broomfield or Broadwell-E (2008-2016); and all of those CPU chips do very well with the W10 installs as they are very high-end processors. None of my machines are that new that are currently working with W10 (I have 5 of them), they were all built between 2006-2008.:frown: As I've mentioned before on other threads here, Microsoft only guarantees that their W10 upgrades, including the AU upgrades, will work on the Modern Era computer hardware.:blink: My hardware is XP-era and Vista-Era; and pre-i3/i5/i7. 3rd and 4th gen processors. This could be part of my problem, I don't know. Until I can get my hands on a newer machine, I can't be certain about my theory.:andwhat: I believe Microsoft has some issues with computers made with pre-5th gen processors (at least on the Intel side of things), and they aren't wórrying about fixing that issue anytime soon, as those computers are 8-10 years old and that is not the target market Microsoft is targeting for W10 upgrades.:noway: They've said this time and again in their Insider Tester webinars, and that has come right from Gabe Abul the leader of the Insider Testing community of like 8 million people.
Here's the wiki link on Intel CPU build dates: Intel Core - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
I've also looked around at the 3 other forums I volunteer on, and no one else has gotten the September AU update to go in from v1511 except you!:shocked: It's possible that all those other Techs are using pre-Modern Era computer (per Microsoft definition), and that's why they are all failing.:skull: And the fact that they are only writing new AU updates to work on hardware built in the Modern Era, and ignoring older hardware. It's hard for me to believe that all these other Techs are all testing W10 with old clunky hardware like mine; at least 1 of them is using newer hardware such as you have, don't you think?? Maybe that's a poor assumption to make. :nerdie:
>>>From a business decision perspective, I'm telling all my Clients at this point in time, that if they have a computer built before 2009 I cannot upgrade it to the latest AU update (v1607 b14393.187), at least through Windows Update and not a Clean Install. Several have asked me about it, and I told them it's 2-3 weeks if I could guarantee I could do it that way, but I cannot at this time. I've guaranteed that I can get W10 working on any OEM hardware made from 2006-2016 via Clean Install, even including on AMD CPU-based Motherboards. So, far I've been at 100% on that.:up:
Food for thought.
Thanks for getting back with proof of your update success! ;)

P.S. Just finished doing a Clean Install AU update on my Sony laptop to get it to v1607, and the Quick Assist worked great! :applaud: I'm passing that tip with your video along to my other Tech friends. Thanks again for posting that.

BBJ :brew: :usa:

Last edited:
It's interesting to note that your computer is an i7 CPU either 5th generation or 6th generation. That means it's a "Modern Era" computer, or one made in 2009 or later (W7-era) machine. Your i7 is then a Broomfield or Broadwell-E (2008-2016); and all of those CPU chips do very well with the W10 installs as they are very high-end processors.

Well, my regular day-to-day system is the I-7 on a P755D Asus Motherboard released somewhere around 2009 but there are no driver releases for Windows 10. No chipset updates, just 8.1 stuff. So yes, it's running just fine, but it is old enough that it's a little surprising that I don't have any problems without updated drivers for everything. But that's why I build using the boards and components from manufacturers that I trust.

But what is more amazing is that my Insider machine that runs all the preview stuff is a home built Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 240GHz with 4GB of DD2. It's MB is an ASUS P5B released around 2004. The last bios update was for 2006. The video is a GeForce 9800 GT. And I run a large variety of software including IIS, SQL, MS Office 2016, MS Accounting and a ton of games on this system too (for testing).

My Lenovo Yoga 13 is about 4 years old and they did release some drivers for Windows 10, but only 1 or 2 were updated since 2013. My Toshiba Tablet is running 1607 as well and the only problem it has is SSD space. It works flawlessly and doesn't suffer any performance problems.

The main thing I is that I keep my systems pretty clean of 3rd party utilities. I don't use things like Cleaner or alternate menu systems.

On my production machine (I-7) I only have:
  • Visual Studio Professional with virtualization so I can run the Windows Phone and Android simulators.
  • Pinnacle Studio Ultimate for video tutorial production.
  • Bandicam for screen and game capture
  • Corel Paintshop Pro for photo processing
  • MS Office 365 2016
  • 6 Browsers for testing, IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Safari
  • Approximately 270 games including installs from disk, Steam and others
  • 5 games emulators. Atari 2600, Atari 800, Atari ST, NES, Sega Genesis
  • Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Free Version (no active scanning)
So my basic advice to most people is to buy standard components and standard software. Install a clean version of Windows or remove every single piece of bloatware off. Take it easy on the 3rd party utilities that modify your core system. IMHO MS has done a great job, even with older systems. Sure stuff back in the XP days are probably more likely to have problems, but asking any OS to support a large variety of configurations on really old systems is a little unfeasible.

Yet MS, for the most part has done what they promised. No other company has to deal with the different systems and components and still have everything work and allow new types of software to take advantage of new OS capabilities.

Here's a video you might enjoy showing my systems in simultaneous operation.

Back